OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Sometimes Ball Go Boom And Sometimes It Don’t (NL Champs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
See youz guyz in the playoffs. While it was a phun postseason ride....not watching 162 games only to be let down with 2 wins away from the hardware...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trea Turner scares me, coming off his worst season, and his home/road splits say it wasn't a Dodger field effect.
BABIP of .343, turning 30, which means good chance both his hitting and fielding will fall off the next few seasons.

I'd rather go with the kids and shore up the pitching, Painter, Abel, McGarry, Baker, et al are on the way, but you don't want to count on them in 2023, I'd be looking for some one year "show me" deals to build up depth and buy time for the young arms. Don't want Segura back, at $17M I don't think he has much left in the tank.

If I could move Hoskins to a team needing a DH (Houston?) I'd do so and move Schwarber or Castellanos to 1B - Harper may have to DH if he has elbow surgery.

The kid to keep an eye on in the minors is Rojas, made the Arizona Fall League all star team after being promoted to AA mid-season, has plus plus speed (with the new rule, might steal 100 bases some day), and surprising power. He'll start in Lehigh, but good chance he finishes next year in Philly. Also Muzzioti, Ortiz and De La Cruz.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Looking into the future, the lack of a shift could actually have a big positive impact on the Phils when you can't pitch guys like Harper and Schwarber into it. That alone should account for a pretty big uptick in guys on base and could be enough to tack on 5 to 10 more wins over the course of a season. And it absolutely would have been a major factor in our favor in the World Series.

That said, I love Rhys, but if we can get a more consistent bat with a better glove, it's probably time to make that move. As for the rotation, get one more arm to push Nola to #3 and it's stacked for another run. And add 1 more bullpen arm and it's pretty stacked there as well.

For the lineup, we have a ton of power but need more guys who get on base. They went ice cold against Houston, and that can't happen again. The high strikeout guys need to be seriously reconsidered going forward.

I agree with the sentiment last night that this feels like the 2010 Flyers. I just hope they don't make the same mistake that the Flyers did in 2011 and 2012 by gutting the core and basically gifting multiple titles to the Kings. Keep this core together and the title shouldn't be too far behind.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
This was so much fun to be a part of. That isn't sarcastic. Bryce delivered THE most memorable sports moment of my life to date, and I'm glad I was watching with my family and watching "with" you guys. Singing "Dancing on my Own" with Girl and proud Plat Snoop Dog the Puppy, with all the fans, and with my family will always be fond memories.

But again, timely hitting and timely pitching both served and failed them. How many 2 out and/or 2 strike hits/rbi did they have up until the WS? The bullpen was a ticking time bomb, but like the bats, got the job done. Brogdon stepped up. Alvarado stepped up. Seranthony is an animal. Eflin, though not a closer, could be a high leverage type guy to get them 5 outs. Ranger is what we wish Eflin was.

The regular season starting arms are there, but the postseason is a different story. In a refrain I'm tired of singing, they need something to work in the bullpen. Robertson wasn't it x2, Familia was a disaster anyone saw coming, and Hand was not good. They've tried offseason after offseason to address this and it hasn't been it, Chief. But someone has to stick somehow. That'll help the timely pitching in the back half of the game.

The front half of the game? If they get a truly reliable reliever, Suarez suddenly is your 3rd starter in the playoffs, which I think they should be making again next year with the expanded format. Is Wheeler/Nola/Ranger good enough in front of a decent bullpen? I think so, especially considering a decent arm will be relegated there a la Eflin. Further emphasis on the need of a reliever or f*** everybody, 2.

They have young arms coming which could help too.

As far as bats, I mean Castellanos has to be better next season right? RIGHT?! Hoskins is an above average run creator but a terrible fielder. If you don't bring him back, who plays first? If Castellanos steps up, a below average run creator at a run creating position would be easier to swallow- that's the reality we're facing if they let Hoskins walk.

There's a lot of money coming off the books this offseason. Do they spend it on a few pitchers? Or just Turner, an excellent run creator himself? He certainly would help the timely hitting aspect. No shifting will too. But no shifting also will further highlight this team's defensive shortcomings.

One thing is certain and that's Dombrowski is going to go for it. Whatever it is sure will be something, tell ya that.

A lot rests on Castellanos next year imo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Taking Wheeler out didn’t bother me in the moment or with the benefit of hindsight.

Game five hurt much more than yesterday.

It's not so much that they yanked him (which I do disagree with), it's that they went to Alvarado. They were all over him in Game 4. Literally every other arm in the bullpen had pitched better during the series.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's not so much that they yanked him (which I do disagree with), it's that they went to Alvarado. They were all over him in Game 4. Literally every other arm in the bullpen had pitched better during the series.

Who were you pining for? Brad Hand?

Alvarado pitched 2 clean games too tbf. He’s been one of their two high leverage guys, along with Dominguez, and they used him as such. He’s been dominant for months. Whether he’s as inning to inning dependable as some of Houston’s BP guys is what it is. I don’t know his stats entering games with runners on, versus a clean inning. But those are the cards you’re dealt. I don’t know if it was right, but I don’t think it was wrong.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I don't go hard on coaching decisions when the move is something as I'm watching that I'm either for, or neutral on.

But as soon as he came out to take out Wheeler I was

Then when it was ALVARADO being sent in that changed to

Reactions: Jack Straw

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Trea Turner, get it done GM Bryce.

Apparently, on Baseball Reference, it says he can play center field. I know he's normally a shortstop, but if they do get him as a short stop, what do you do with Stott?

Honestly, maybe shell out for someone like Rodon?

Have at least a rotation for next year be like this (re-signing Nola):

Wheeler
Nola
Rodon
Suarez
Falter/Painter

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Apparently, on Baseball Reference, it says he can play center field. I know he's normally a shortstop, but if they do get him as a short stop, what do you do with Stott?

Honestly, maybe shell out for someone like Rodon?

Have at least a rotation for next year be like this (re-signing Nola):

Wheeler
Nola
Rodon
Suarez
Falter/Painter

You just put Stott at 2nd. He should do fine there. Jean is gone.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
True. I like Segura, but yeah, with his age, I could see him gone.

Also, with Harper's thumb being better, and being back in RF, is Nick going to be DH'ing it? Or would the outfield be Harper, Nick and Schwarb?
The thumb isn’t what kept Harper out of playing the field. It’s his elbow (UCL) that we’re still going to have to wait and see how they handle that. There’s a real good chance he’s going to be out a good chunk of the season next year.

Hell, we’re 99 days from pitchers and catchers.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I dont think the Mets will be as good next year. I think 12 or 13 of their 25 are free agents. Lot of changes potentially. The Braves are great though. Just need to be in the top 6 though a division win and a bye would be nice though very tough. I expect the Giants to be better, other than that not sure about any of the other teams that didnt make the playoffs that should. Stearns just stepped down in Milwaukee and they some tough decisions to make withBurnes and Woodruff coming up. I would try to trade Rhys for an arm.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The thumb isn’t what kept Harper out of playing the field. It’s his elbow (UCL) that we’re still going to have to wait and see how they handle that. There’s a real good chance he’s going to be out a good chunk of the season next year.

Hell, we’re 99 days from pitchers and catchers.
Yeah, that is the crazy thing about playing into the November. Basically 3 months away to the start of the season. For example, 3 months ago Nick hit that huge home run in Atlanta in 8th inning :laugh:. Wasnt really that long ago.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Are either Nola or Wheeler going to be available to start the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille