OT: Philadelphia Phillies season part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Harper embodies Philly. He's the ultimate "no one likes me (us), I don't care" guy. Day in and day out he gives 100%. Endeared to the city and fans, and a damn good player who thrives in the spotlight and negative attention.

What a signing.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
im going to be realistic of what think middleton is going to do, i think he's going to fire everyone, bring in a new staff and probably just tweak the pitching and trades i dont think they are going to spend alot in fa because if he's fires everyone he still have to pay the contracts of matt k and andy mcphail for 3 years and pay a new gm and manager, coaches, we are not going to have enough to make a big signing.

not to menion the jt resigning. that's why staff is so important right now.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Harper embodies Philly. He's the ultimate "no one likes me (us), I don't care" guy. Day in and day out he gives 100%. Endeared to the city and fans, and a damn good player who thrives in the spotlight and negative attention.

What a signing.

I think we, as Phillies fans, need to go down to DC today and have a rumble to defend Bryce and his family’s honor.

Fans in Washington were rumored to be yelling at Bryce last night things about his wife and his newborn. Bryce was none too happy about it.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Washington Nationals in 15 seasons have never won a playoff series. The Phillies have won 6 in that time. Remember when they shutdown Strasburg as Rizzo said somerhing about multiple World series? Well 7 years later and they have yet to win a playoff series and probably arent rhis year.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Washington Nationals in 15 seasons have never won a playoff series. The Phillies have won 6 in that time. Remember when they shutdown Strasburg as Rizzo said somerhing about multiple World series? Well 7 years later and they have yet to win a playoff series and probably arent rhis year.

They also never had a worse record with Bryce Harper on their team then we will have this year.

I haven’t fact checked this.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia

What a signing.

Him and Realmuto were fantastic adds. Haseley was another bright spot for this long sad season

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

gabe is not tf and tf couldnt get it done here either. charlie manual couldnt do it with indians and came here won it. it's just how it is sometimes, managers are like coaches, players have to buy in, it's simple as that. you just keep finding the right manager until it clicks.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I think we, as Phillies fans, need to go down to DC today and have a rumble to defend Bryce and his family’s honor.

Fans in Washington were rumored to be yelling at Bryce last night things about his wife and his newborn. Bryce was none too happy about it.
Saw that, though nothing officially has been repeated that I saw.

Rent free

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Do you believe Philly sports fans would travel to Washington DC just to berate their own player's family? Unreal

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So because the Phillies suck so bad I was reliving the good old days and looking at some Roy Halladay stats. I clicked on his 2011 season when he finished second in Cy Young voting so I was checking in on Clayton Kershaw to see what his stats looked like that year to beat Halladay and I came across another example of why I just can't get behind the SABR stats. Kershaw bested Halladay in literally every single category with the exception of walks (of which Kershaw hat 19 more), complete games (of which Kershaw had three fewer) and runs (of which Kershaw gave up one more, but had fewer EARNED runs allowed). Kershaw had more wins, fewer losses, more Ks, lower ERA, lower ERA+, more shutouts, lower WHIP, fewer hits allowed, and so forth and so on. Yet somehow Roy Halladay's WAR was 8.8 and Kershaw's was 6.7. Can someone explain to me how you can allow fewer runs and hits (and baserunners in general) and strikeout more batters and yet somehow be considered worse than another player by more than 2 WAR? Or am I misreading something here?

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.00.12 AM.png

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
@DrinkFightFlyers Look at the Park factors at the time for Dodger Stadium and CBP. All rWAR for pitchers is predicated on runs allowed and defense, unlike fWAR with FIP. So my guess is that the park factors and the team defense were more favorable for Kershaw. Lee that year was at 8.5 in about the same innings and Hamels was at 6.4 in 216 innings.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Giving up just 10 HRs when your home park is CBP in all of those innings is absurd. Pre juiced ball era but still.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I looked it up, the Phillies were -45 runs saved in WAR while the Dodgers were only -2. It is the same reason Nola's rWAR last year was over 10. He played on a historically bad defensive team. They were -115.

Reactions: Jtown

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Picked this up at Auction Wednesday night....

Brad Lidge Game Worn Jersey from Opening Night against the Braves where the Phillies raised their 2008 World Series Pennant. I've wanted one of these for a while but haven't really seen any pop up until this one. He didn't have the best of seasons in 2009 but he was one of the top reasons they won the WS in 2008 so I couldn't be happier with the Gold and Player combo.

anT0r2d.jpg

GjYqDvz.jpg

BQJ2QFT.jpg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
@DrinkFightFlyers Look at the Park factors at the time for Dodger Stadium and CBP. All rWAR for pitchers is predicated on runs allowed and defense, unlike fWAR with FIP. So my guess is that the park factors and the team defense were more favorable for Kershaw. Lee that year was at 8.5 in about the same innings and Hamels was at 6.4 in 216 innings.
I can't imagine the park factor has that big an impact. Some for sure but that is a huge gap, more than two full wins. I don't even think that coupled with defense makes up that sizeable a gap. Maybe I am just too crotchety but I just don't like a system that when explaining a statistic it also requires you to use ten different stats that need to be thoroughly explained (each of which includes another ten stats needing to be explained) in order to justify something.

On the note of not liking these stats, word is Joe Maddon is on the market. Is he an advanced stats guy?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So you don't like things that you don't understand. Got it.
Well I think that is a pretty common thing, but it is more than that. I shouldn't have to have an in depth knowledge of mathematical equations and statistics to try and quantify how good a player is. The Halladay/Keeshaw example is just one of many that you can find just by looking at MVP or Cy Young Voting and comparing the WAR of players.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I can't imagine the park factor has that big an impact. Some for sure but that is a huge gap, more than two full wins. I don't even think that coupled with defense makes up that sizeable a gap. Maybe I am just too crotchety but I just don't like a system that when explaining a statistic it also requires you to use ten different stats that need to be thoroughly explained (each of which includes another ten stats needing to be explained) in order to justify something.

On the note of not liking these stats, word is Joe Maddon is on the market. Is he an advanced stats guy?
Go to the 2011 team page for both on baseball reference. Towards the bottom they have pitching value and it sort of explains. Halladay's defense was .26 runs per nine worse than Kershaw.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
And to think if they could have sprinkled in 11 more scoreless bullpen innings throughout the season...where would they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad