OT: Philadelphia Phillies season part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they signed Rendon, why can’t Bohm be moved to another position?

they need to upgrade the staff and a package of Bohm, Medina, Moniak, etc.. might land you something pretty good. Doesn't matter what they do if they don't improve the pitching and it's looking like Pivetta isn't the answer and Eflin might not be either. If so then they got major problems with Jake leaving after next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you build the lineup, then patch the SP if you have a deep bullpen.
Worked for them in 2008, then they went out and got SPs, and won more regular season but less post-season games.
Phillies are building up a portfolio of young RPs, not only ML but through the organization.

SPs are even flakier than goalies, as great as Lee and Halladay were, they only lasted three seasons or so.
You need a steady supply and basically have to develop your own, just look at Arrieta and Darvish, the two big names from last year.
For every Halladay trade, there are two Garcia trades.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We seen how moving someone who should be playing in the INF turned elsewhere worked out with Hoskins...
Bohm is a better athlete than Rhys. Bohm might not be a 3B anyway. I’m sure he’d handle LF ‘OK’ early in his career. The DH in the NL seems inevitable.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
We seen how moving someone who should be playing in the INF turned elsewhere worked out with Hoskins...

I'll readily admit that I don't follow the Phillies as much as I used to. Since the 1994 strike, I've been more of a casual observer. I don't know if Bohm has ever played another position or has the ability to change positions. Just leery of trading a highly rated prospect like Bohm is supposed to be.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
they need to upgrade the staff and a package of Bohm, Medina, Moniak, etc.. might land you something pretty good. Doesn't matter what they do if they don't improve the pitching and it's looking like Pivetta isn't the answer and Eflin might not be either. If so then they got major problems with Jake leaving after next season.

What starting pitchers do see that can become available this off season for a combination of those prospects? How is the free agent market looking for starting and relievers?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Nightengale saying we are interested in Grienke and Robbie Ray.

Wonder what package Grienke would take? Can’t think toooo much due to his contract even if Arizona pays some of it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Can’t see Greinke coming here.

Ray is more doable but that’s a lot of walks and HRs in a park that isn’t much more forgiving than Arizona.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'll readily admit that I don't follow the Phillies as much as I used to. Since the 1994 strike, I've been more of a casual observer. I don't know if Bohm has ever played another position or has the ability to change positions. Just leery of trading a highly rated prospect like Bohm is supposed to be.

They have had Bohm at 1B and 3B and DH. Certainly don't want to trade him as he's looking the part for sure, caught some of his games in Lakewood early on this season.

What starting pitchers do see that can become available this off season for a combination of those prospects? How is the free agent market looking for starting and relievers?

The FA market for pitchers looks weak. Hard to say who they could get in a package.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is there any credible report that states whether Grienke would be willing to come here? Or are people just getting their hopes up & ignoring what’s been out there in the past with his social anxiety problems?

As in the past he’s been gun shy of playing markets like this, New York, Boston, etc.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hunter joins Neshek and Cutch in the out for the season group. Both Hunter and Neshek are FA's in the off-season. No word yet on Robertson who was supposed to be getting closer, or Dominguez who they badly need back. Ramos shouldn't be out too much longer and there was talk that Arano might be able to make it back by Sept maybe.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'd like them to go after Micheal Givens

This is run time. Get another win in Detroit. Take 2 of 3 against ATL, suddenly you're 3.5 out or so

Come on fellas

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Umm...why is Nola not scheduled to start on Sunday vs the Braves? He would be on normal rest.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Hunter joins Neshek and Cutch in the out for the season group. Both Hunter and Neshek are FA's in the off-season. No word yet on Robertson who was supposed to be getting closer, or Dominguez who they badly need back. Ramos shouldn't be out too much longer and there was talk that Arano might be able to make it back by Sept maybe.

The Phillies moved Dominguez from the 10 day IL to the 60 day IL( to open up a 40 man roster spot). Even if that 60 is retroactive to his initial date of June 6th. That makes it Aug 6th at the earliest, but I doubt he pitches again this year. The injection therapy to a UCL injury to avoid Tommy John surgery very rarely works.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Per Jon Morosi, the Philles and Indians have discussed a trade for Trevor Bauer

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Per Jon Morosi, the Philles and Indians have discussed a trade for Trevor Bauer

Bauer has made it public he wants to be a 1 year deal mercenary guy for the bulk of his career. Hopefully they're not considering giving up some big farm pieces for him

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is there any credible report that states whether Grienke would be willing to come here? Or are people just getting their hopes up & ignoring what’s been out there in the past with his social anxiety problems?

As in the past he’s been gun shy of playing markets like this, New York, Boston, etc.

from what i've heard his NTC will not be an issue, I am surprised to hear that if true. It's said that Arizona won't eat much if any of his remaining contract. He'll make 35M per over the next 2 years plus whatever is owed on his 34.5M this year. That's a shit ton of money for a pitcher who's 35 but he's having a great year and would give a big shot in the arm to the rotation. I assume for the phillies the question is do they want to take on that much risk plus whatever it would cost to acquire him.

I heard that Arizona just had scouts at the Crosscutters game but who knows if it's related or just them checking in on some players.

For me it would depend on what the ask is. If they can get him but don't have to give up any key prospects, and he really is ok with coming here then I would go for it as having Nola, Greinke next year with Jake as maybe a 4th, would solve a major problem for them as they would just need Eflin or someone to step in to the #3 spot and find a 5th.

Also I heard that Spencer Howard, likely one of the phils top 2 prospects is being called up to Reading today after dominating Clearwater.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
There's also the question of Greinke's deal and who would be on the hook for deferred money. He's owed $60m after his contract expires. The signing bonus which was deferred is something the Diamondbacks are on the hook for no matter what, but the rest of it is probably whichever team takes on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad