OT: Philadelphia Phillies season part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Bye bye 2019 MLB season. Pretty much a disaster of a season based on all the hype going into it for the Philadelphia Phillies. :dunno:

Odds Kapler is ousted?

I would like Franco to not come back next year. Knapp too

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
season pretty much halted really once they lost Cutch
That's when I stopped caring/watching. Things were starting to teeter at that point and Cutch going down killed it for me. Damn good player, hopefully he bounces back. No bigger waste of life than watching a hopeless baseball team.

Reactions: SnS and trostol

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Bye bye 2019 MLB season. Pretty much a disaster of a season based on all the hype going into it for the Philadelphia Phillies. :dunno:

Odds Kapler is ousted?

I would like Franco to not come back next year. Knapp too

Give Bohm a real shot next season and have Miller as an extra body, who can play third. If we can, I'd trade Franco's rights.

Kapler and Klentak should be very gone. Same shit two seasons in a row.

Reactions: tucson83

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
if they bring gabe back for a third year, it will be no different even if we had more talent, he would still do the same things that's been failing this team for the last 2 years by checking his computers, telling players to pitch their way and not to their players strengths, favoring vets than young players, sound familar aka dave hakstol?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Gabe should have his walking papers by tomorrow..but i have a feeling they won't do that..sweep out the entire staff and management

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Halladay also had 1/3 of an inning lead on Kershaw with one fewer start.

233.2 innings in 32 starts. Check out the leaderboard in 2019. Strikeouts are awesome, but pitching for weak contact outs allows for more efficiency in eating innings.

Though, maybe hitters are more patient now? Haven’t taken a look.

Strikeouts for pitchers are like really really important. You could probably do a reasonable list of all the pitching prospects in baseball just by their strikeout rates.

It's not hyperbole to suggest that a 33-year-old pitcher who strikes out 9 guys per game is going to last longer than a 23-year-old who strikes out 5 guys a game.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Strikeouts for pitchers are like really really important. You could probably do a reasonable list of all the pitching prospects in baseball just by their strikeout rates.

It's not hyperbole to suggest that a 33-year-old pitcher who strikes out 9 guys per game is going to last longer than a 23-year-old who strikes out 5 guys a game.

Sure, I'd generally agree with this. K% is one of the more reliable metrics in assessing a pitcher's present and future success, true. There are exceptions to the rule.

Halladay was an exceptional pitcher despite average-ish strikeout rates relative to other HOF starters in the same era. For a reliever, Rivera had a pretty ho-hum strikeout rate, yet he's probably one of the most effective late inning guys to ever play. Maddux... yada, yada.

These are definitely rare cases. Halladay and Rivera had pitches that would literally destroy bats if hard contact was attempted. Kinda hard to score if the best contact produces weak infield hits/shallow outfield bloopers and patience at the plate rarely yields a walk. Of course, I'm taking Martinez over Maddux, but it's still possible to get to elite and effective levels without consistently missing bats for outs.

Here are a few notable guys in recent years/eras who've had a lot of success despite low K numbers: Wainwright, Lee, Hudson, Carpenter, Oswalt, Colon (!), Webb. There are probably a few others that I'm missing.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
if they bring gabe back for a third year, it will be no different even if we had more talent, he would still do the same things that's been failing this team for the last 2 years by checking his computers, telling players to pitch their way and not to their players strengths, favoring vets than young players, sound familar aka dave hakstol?

The difference between Gabe and Hakstol is this: the Flyers would've been a better team with a better coach. The Phillies would not be any better with a different manager.

No manager can over come a completley new roster, the loss of 4 key bullpen arms, the loss of a lead off hitter, and only one good SP who himself had a down year.

If they can bring in a more experienced manager...do it. But this idea that this team would be a world series contender if not for Gabe is ridiculous. If they dont upgrade the pitching and organizational depth, the manager wont matter.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
No manager can over come a completley new roster, the loss of 4 key bullpen arms, the loss of a lead off hitter, and only one good SP who himself had a down year.

If they can bring in a more experienced manager...do it. But this idea that this team would be a world series contender if not for Gabe is ridiculous. If they dont upgrade the pitching and organizational depth, the manager wont matter.

tell that to the yankees and brewers, they lost key pieces and other players stepped up, that's on the manager because of the coaches he brought in, he's responsable for that.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
tell that to the yankees and brewers, they lost key pieces and other players stepped up, that's on the manager because of the coaches he brought in, he's responsable for that.

Two teams with far more depth than the Phillies. The phillies literally had no rotation and no bullpen.

Reactions: SnS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad