OT: Philadelphia Phillies season part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The stats on a pitchers' year that he can control are strikeouts, walks and home runs. And home runs really are greatly affected by ballpark. But they're not influenced by the defense, like every other stat (hits, runs, etc).

In these categories Halladay gets the edge over Kershaw. He struck out 220 in 233.2 innings and walked only 35, which is a tremendous ratio. He only gave up 10 homers.

Kershaw struck out more,248, but walked 54 and gave up 15 homers. Halladay gets the edge here and when you factor in park it's quite a big difference.

Check out the splits:
Kershaw home 1.69 ERA in 117 innings
Kershaw away 2.87 ERA in 116 innings

Halladay actually had better ERA on the road -- 2.23 (2.48 at home).
This isn't surprising, Dodger Stadium has been doing this for year, going all the way back to Koufax and Drysdale. For his career, Kershaw has a 2.15 ERA at home, 2.78 ERA on the road. (His road ERA is still tremendous obviously)

We're talking about parks alone being worth the difference of .5 to .7 runs per game, over 230+ innings. Factor in the difference in team defense, and this can easily be 20 runs a year. 1 WAR ~= 10 runs, so yeah, it makes sense that Halladay is two wins better.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The stats on a pitchers' year that he can control are strikeouts, walks and home runs. And home runs really are greatly affected by ballpark. But they're not influenced by the defense, like every other stat (hits, runs, etc).

In these categories Halladay gets the edge over Kershaw. He struck out 220 in 233.2 innings and walked only 35, which is a tremendous ratio. He only gave up 10 homers.

Kershaw struck out more,248, but walked 54 and gave up 15 homers. Halladay gets the edge here and when you factor in park it's quite a big difference.

Check out the splits:

This isn't surprising, Dodger Stadium has been doing this for year, going all the way back to Koufax and Drysdale. For his career, Kershaw has a 2.15 ERA at home, 2.78 ERA on the road. (His road ERA is still tremendous obviously)

We're talking about parks alone being worth the difference of .5 to .7 runs per game, over 230+ innings. Factor in the difference in team defense, and this can easily be 20 runs a year. 1 WAR ~= 10 runs, so yeah, it makes sense that Halladay is two wins better.

Halladay also had 1/3 of an inning lead on Kershaw with one fewer start.

233.2 innings in 32 starts. Check out the leaderboard in 2019. Strikeouts are awesome, but pitching for weak contact outs allows for more efficiency in eating innings.

Though, maybe hitters are more patient now? Haven’t taken a look.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

Check out the splits:

But baseball reference just take into account FIP like fangraphs WAR does. They also take into account the defense behind you unlike fangraphs. It looked liked in 2011 1 win was about 8.5 runs too.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Hamels barely grazes the outer edge of Yadi's impressive body armor and all the sudden it's time for Neck Tattoo to defend his honor. :cf:

I was watching that last night. One of the stupidest things I have seen in a long time. There were three waves. First, Yadi lost his **** for no reason. Then the benches cleared and streamed out. Then on like a delay, when the thing had already been quashed, all the turds from the bullpens streamed out. It was so stupid.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was watching that last night. One of the stupidest things I have seen in a long time. There were three waves. First, Yadi lost his **** for no reason. Then the benches cleared and streamed out. Then on like a delay, when the thing had already been quashed, all the turds from the bullpens streamed out. It was so stupid.

Few things more sad than watching baseball players attempt to fight.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Few things more sad than watching baseball players attempt to fight.
I long for the good old days.

robin-ventura-nolan-ryan-fight-slide.png

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

Maybe if they were allowed to storm in with bullpen carts to 'Ride of the Valkyries'? Each side chooses a champion and there's a mandatory battle at home plate?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
I am still confused as to why they're so keen to hire away Orioles staffers / emulate the Orioles' model. I mean, I get it, country club / old boys' club atmosphere, but can't they limit their cronyism to guys who know what they're doing / have drafted well / have assembled winning teams? Like from the Astros or Cards or Braves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad