OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Michael Martinez?? He's in Pittsburgh

No. Harold. Played in Clearwater last year. Played at the University of Miami. Had a huge sophomore season and hasn't shown the same power since. Showed some signs of life playing everyday after Franco moved up to Reading. Not enough power or patience to be anything more than a filler at this point. Probably starts in AA this year.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Also, Mikael Franco was told that he will primarily play 1st this year.

Because Howard is locked in for 3 years, lets waste this kid in the minors until they need a 1st baseman.

The sheer stupidity that surrounds this team is unbelievable. This team will be one of the worst for 5-10 years.

Amaro chimed in and said that wasn't the case. He says Franco will play some 1B but will still primarily play 3B this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Odd, it was Franco who told a writer this. So somebody is incorrect.

Either way I don't see the problem. Now is the time to see if he can play both corners of the infield. If he can replace Howard in a couple years and we have someone else to take over third, there's no issue. It's not like playing games at first base is all of the sudden going to turn him into a scrub.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Either way I don't see the problem. Now is the time to see if he can play both corners of the infield. If he can replace Howard in a couple years and we have someone else to take over third, there's no issue. It's not like playing games at first base is all of the sudden going to turn him into a scrub.

It devalues him though. Having a power hitting 3rd basemen and young is very very valuable.

Turning him into a 1st baseman, where most people have decent power, makes him a run of the mill ordinary player.

Unless he hits .300 and 40 hrs in the MLB, then he'll be in a different tier, but if he's a 3rd baseman that plays decent 3rd (which I think he is, low range, but has a cannon) and can hit .270 and 25-28 HRs, that puts him into a top tier of 3rd baseman.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Franco doesn't speak perfect English. It could have been misinterpreted.

That was my thought as well.

I don't have a problem with him getting reps at 1B. I'm sure he'll play there in the majors at least a little bit while we still have Howard. I'm glad the team isn't making the change permanently though. His bat is much more valuable at 3B than 1B.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I thought that was a joke. Ruben is out of his skull. How long can he keep his job?

Even if he can still hit, it's the NATIONAL LEAGUE!!!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Did Abreu ever get busted for roids? I don't remember. I'm a little shocked about the signing, but if its just a minor league deal with ST invite, I'm not too worried. If he can still hit he could be OK coming off the bench or DH for interleague play (or trade to AL at deadline if he's playing well).

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Did Abreu ever get busted for roids? I don't remember. I'm a little shocked about the signing, but if its just a minor league deal with ST invite, I'm not too worried. If he can still hit he could be OK coming off the bench or DH for interleague play (or trade to AL at deadline if he's playing well).

Nope, put up good/great numbers at the plate. Considered soft in the field.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'm not worried about Abreu seeing a lot of playing time, it's just that this is such a weird move and makes me think that Ruben is either trying to get fired, or has run out of ideas to the point that he's trying to construct the 2004 Phillies. At least they were on the rise back then, maybe he thinks getting the same players will mean that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad