OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
It's a huge commitment. You're committing just as much time as the players. Seven months a year, every day, road trips, etc. The guy just retired I'm sure he wants to spend some time with his family. I think he was going to school as well.

Yeah, I understand that. Though there are definitely guys who are so into the game and being involved, they want to be able to hold onto it in some way. There are lots of guys who get into media right after retiring. And like you said, it's seven months a year. That means they still get 5 months vacation! Better than most other jobs (even if he already has millions in the bank).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, I understand that. Though there are definitely guys who are so into the game and being involved, they want to be able to hold onto it in some way. There are lots of guys who get into media right after retiring. And like you said, it's seven months a year. That means they still get 5 months vacation! Better than most other jobs (even if he already has millions in the bank).

It's one thing if you need the money. These guys don't need the money. A studio job is a much more stable job if you want to stay involved in the game.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I hope its Glanville. Dude is actually intelligent. Has written several editorials for the New York Times and has written a pretty critically acclaimed book. Been the head of several companies (investment/real estate.). Grew up a Phillies fan. Penn alum.

Talks avidly about the steroid era and his reasons for deciding not to use. Isn't preachy and gives his rationale arguments for taking the road less chosen.

Nothing against Stocker, but Glanville just comes across as a great choice.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Don't tell Curt Schilling that! :sarcasm:

I picture Schilling with ripped up hobo pants below the level of the desk when I see him on ESPN now.

I admittedly am a gamer and a fan of Schilling, so it definitely makes me a little sad for him to have lost everything he worked his life for while trying to translate his passion into a business. It happens, but still sucks for the guy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I hope its Glanville. Dude is actually intelligent. Has written several editorials for the New York Times and has written a pretty critically acclaimed book. Been the head of several companies (investment/real estate.). Grew up a Phillies fan. Penn alum.

Talks avidly about the steroid era and his reasons for deciding not to use. Isn't preachy and gives his rationale arguments for taking the road less chosen.

Glanville is a little stale. He's obviously smart, but its baseball, you need someone to keep it light at times.

Don't know about Stocker either way.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I picture Schilling with ripped up hobo pants below the level of the desk when I see him on ESPN now.

I admittedly am a gamer and a fan of Schilling, so it definitely makes me a little sad for him to have lost everything he worked his life for while trying to translate his passion into a business. It happens, but still sucks for the guy.

He definitely looks like a guy down on his luck now a days.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
MLB ‏@MLB 3m

Managers will have at least one instant replay challenge to use during a game (1/3).
If any portion of challenged play is overturned, manager who challenged the play will retain ability to challenge 1 more play in game (2/3).
No manager may challenge more than two plays in a game (3/3).

Welp a lot of people just got their wish for instant replay.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I'd be psyched on Glanville. Really though, unless it is someone who has been a color guy before this, we're just going to have to wait and see how the new guy does. I remember when Kruk was the color guy and I really was psyched, but then he was kind of a dud. I like him a lot better now on baseball tonight (the last remaining show worth watching on ESPN) than when was in the booth.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Kyle Kendrick just signed a 1 year $7.675 million contract. Major League pitcher. Best job on the planet.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
John Mayberry Jr for 1.85M

So Amaro wants to be better, yet just keeps signing the same guys back for more money.

Amaro, those guys sucked ass their entire careers, why do you just keep giving out raises?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Kendrick's #'s last year:

.285 BAA, 1.40 WHIP, 4.70 ERA

DEFINITELY DESERVED 8 MILLION DOLLARS. DEFINITELY.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Also, Mikael Franco was told that he will primarily play 1st this year.

Because Howard is locked in for 3 years, lets waste this kid in the minors until they need a 1st baseman.

The sheer stupidity that surrounds this team is unbelievable. This team will be one of the worst for 5-10 years.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

Because Howard is locked in for 3 years, lets waste this kid in the minors until they need a 1st baseman.

The sheer stupidity that surrounds this team is unbelievable. This team will be one of the worst for 5-10 years.

I mean, I hate the direction the team is going, but I'd be lying if I didn't say often before they won that I'd trade 10 years of **** for 1 championship lol

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I mean, I hate the direction the team is going, but I'd be lying if I didn't say often before they won that I'd trade 10 years of **** for 1 championship lol

I agree, but it'll be 6 years from the WS Championship, and this teams looks like its getting worse and worse every year, which means it'll take that much longer to turn the ship around.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Don't the Phillies have a lot of depth at the 3B position in the minors? If Franco can switch to first base and do it successfully, I see no issue with the switch. Also, playing him at first this year (primarily) doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to be in the minors as a 1B for the next three years.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Don't the Phillies have a lot of depth at the 3B position in the minors? If Franco can switch to first base and do it successfully, I see no issue with the switch. Also, playing him at first this year (primarily) doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to be in the minors as a 1B for the next three years.

They have Asche & Franco, Asche will be on the Phillies this year.

Franco will most likely be in AAA.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ck-for-refusal-to-accept-modern-GM-model.html

At one point, 'Ruben Amaro' was an outfielder for the 1993 Phillies. Then, 'Ruben Amaro' became the understudy to the great Pat Gillcik, eventually evolving into the general manager himself. Now, 'Ruben Amaro' is a phrase used to describe the line in the sand between progressive, forward-thinking, statistic-friendly general managing, and the dark world of pretending what you have is enough because you have it already.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Yes. Arguably their deepest position.

Asche
Franco
Martinez (barely)
Walding
Zach Green
Jan Hernandez
Trey Williams
Encarnacion (for now)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So with the Kendrick resigning we are looking at:

Hamels
Lee
Kendrick
Gonzalez?
Pettibone?

What's the back end look like?

Don't count on Gonzalez, he hasn't pitched all winter. Expect the identity theft guy.

My best guess on BP:

Papelbon
Bastardo
Adams (eventually)
Diekman
Martin (should be anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad