OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Official reason: they are trying to find someone halfway decent to finish at the season in CF

Real reason: Amaro is an idiot who thinks career .200 hitters will suddenly turn into Babe Ruth and the mere thought of bringing up an outfielder from Lehigh makes him vomit.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'll take Bernardina over MiniMart and Wells. Toss up with Mayberry imo. At the end of the day, we should have just kept Schierholtz for next to nothing.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
The signing of Bernadina itself doesn't really upset me. He's just a body to occupy a spot as this team plays out the string.

The fact that there isn't anyone in the minors that's close to major league ready that Rube is willing to bring up - either due to skill or because he's starting the clock on them - does.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'll take Bernardina over MiniMart and Wells. Toss up with Mayberry imo. At the end of the day, we should have just kept Schierholtz for next to nothing.

That would have made too much ****ing sense. You can't just be doing **** that makes sense.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
When did JMJ get to be so bad? Has it been in front of my eyes the whole time?

Yes. JMJ is ok in very small doses, he's been asked to play far too much this year. He's an ok bat off the bench and a decent 5th OF. This year he's been a borderline starter.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I like Bernadina actually. He's a solid player. Can be a 4th OFer at least. I'll take him over Mayberry if I have to choose an everyday CFer. This is a guy who put up a very solid .291/.372/.405 slash line last year. He just never got consistent AB's with Harper, Span, and Werth playing everyday. I doubt he's in the long term plans, but this was a guy that was on the verge of breaking out just a couple years ago. We'll see what happens but if he plays he has 15-15 potential with solid defense at all 3 OF spots.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That would have made too much ****ing sense. You can't just be doing **** that makes sense.

Schierholtz is pure garbage and still can't hit LHP. He's had a freak year and even then he's falling well back to earth. He's a career .700 OPS hitter and is either a platoon or 4th OF at best.

Hindsight is 20/20, nobody gave a crap that Amaro let him go because lets face it, he had over a month here in Philly and did nothing.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Schierholtz is pure garbage and still can't hit LHP. He's had a freak year and even then he's falling well back to earth. He's a career .700 OPS hitter and is either a platoon or 4th OF at best.

Hindsight is 20/20, nobody gave a crap that Amaro let him go because lets face it, he had over a month here in Philly and did nothing.

Its not hindsight. I said it didn't make any sense at the time they non tendered him. And we are talking about 4th outfielders, are we not?

Nate Schierholtz career .754 OPS

Martinez career .498 OPS

Casper Wells career .700 OPS

Roger Bernadina career .669 OPS

Delmon Young career .739 OPS

John Mayberry Jr. career .751 OPS

The two "best of the worst" players were already on the team. There was no reason to get rid of him for Delmon freakin Young. Ruf could have just started the year anyway, he's not any worse than Delmon in the field. John Mayberry is at least as good a player as Delmon.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Its not hindsight. I said it didn't make any sense at the time they non tendered him. And we are talking about 4th outfielders, are we not?

Nate Schierholtz career .754 OPS

Martinez career .498 OPS

Casper Wells career .700 OPS

Roger Bernadina career .669 OPS

Delmon Young career .739 OPS

John Mayberry Jr. career .751 OPS

The two "best of the worst" players were already on the team. There was no reason to get rid of him for Delmon freakin Young. Ruf could have just started the year anyway, he's not any worse than Delmon in the field. John Mayberry is at least as good a player as Delmon.

None of this would've been an issue if Amaro got somebody to play RF. I think he wanted too, the price tag just went too high.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This would've been best IMO. Losing the right handed power behind Howard really hurt.

It did, but Howard also then just got bad too.

Burrell & Werth were great complimentary bats that worked counts and walked. The pitcher knew if they walked Howard that a guy behind him were going to make him throw at least 5 pitches and both had really high OBP's

Burrell's career OBP was .361
Werth's career OBP is .368

Those are huge #'s to plant right behind your clean up hitter. I do believe they helped Howard get better pitches.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I wanted Schierholtz to play RF this year. Now he has an. 850 OPS(playing most of the time) in Chicago while Delmon Young was trotted out there for 3 months. It was a terrible move not bringing Schierholtz back at the time. He was and is the better player between he and Nix, who they ended up keeping over him. It is the little things like this that make Ruben such a bad GM. These little moves add up over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00