OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Maybe I'm too optimistic, maybe you're too pessimistic. I think it'll all work out. No way of really knowing.

The Phillies could turn it around quickly, but they needed to do what the Red Sox did which was a purge and on the fly rebuild. They moved on from AGon, but managed to send out some bad contracts in Beckett and Crawford.

I don't know that the Phillies had the same opportunity for a deal like that, but not moving Lee or Utley is certainly going to extend the losing a little while longer.

Howard is one of the worst contracts in baseball, so the goal should be to be set-up to take the next step when that money gets freed up in 4 years. Should take us at least 2 seasons to start heading in the right direction again.

As I said before, they have a horrible combination of aging, overpaid veterans and little to no major league ready talent in the farm system. The Red Sox had a little bit of luck last year. They dealt with new ownership in LA who had the ability to take on those big contracts. They were probably the only team in the league that could have taken on those contracts. The Red Sox farm system is also one of the best in baseball so when guys go down on the 25-man roster they have a capable replacement and not Michael Martinez. Even if the Phillies conceivably, through some miracle, fielded a solid lineup next year, they wouldn't have the depth to plug the inevitable injuries. I just can't see this team being a contender for the forseeable future.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Law doesn't seem to like Franco as much as others, but in the games I've seen him (Lakewood and Reading) he hasn't had problems with pitch recognition. The one thing that stood out was that he's not overly quick, but flashes impressive power. I have him as the phils top prospect and think he's going to be a good one.

I could see how not being overly picky and having a low walk rate could lead someone to say he lacks pitch recognition. Sounds like a similar approach to the one Revere has, just swing at everything near the plate. I'd still would like to see him in September, but I'm not sure how the 40 man roster works. Can they just take someone off and put him on it?

Where has tonight‘s Diekman and DeFratus been all year?

Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I could see how not being overly picky and having a low walk rate could lead someone to say he lacks pitch recognition. Sounds like a similar approach to the one Revere has, just swing at everything near the plate. I'd still would like to see him in September, but I'm not sure how the 40 man roster works. Can they just take someone off and put him on it?

I think you can take someone off, but they are designated for assignment (which means they can be claimed off irrevocable waivers). If they clear then its NBD, but if they are claimed they are gone for good. Not sure who is "expendable" on the 40 man roster at this point, but I don't know if I would risk losing a player just to see a guy play in 20 games or so (especially when you have Asche there now trying make a name for himself at third base). But if there is a guy that is going to be let go anyway, then rock on and bring up the youth!

EDIT: Looking at the Phillies 40 man roster, I'd be fine with them ditching Michael Martinez or John McDonald. Other than that I wouldn't want to see anyone else designated for assignment and risk losing them.

Last edited:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I think you can take someone off, but they are designated for assignment (which means they can be claimed off irrevocable waivers). If they clear then its NBD, but if they are claimed they are gone for good. Not sure who is "expendable" on the 40 man roster at this point, but I don't know if I would risk losing a player just to see a guy play in 20 games or so (especially when you have Asche there now trying make a name for himself at third base). But if there is a guy that is going to be let go anyway, then rock on and bring up the youth!

EDIT: Looking at the Phillies 40 man roster, I'd be fine with them ditching Michael Martinez or John McDonald. Other than that I wouldn't want to see anyone else designated for assignment and risk losing them.

I literally clicked quote just as you edited the comment. I was going to say

Michael Martinez!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Casper Wells too. But really amaro is an idiot. I saw a report that the phillies are interested in Bernadina from the Nationals. We totally need another .200 hitter who plays decent defense. You know, instead of bringing up one of the kids from the minors, lets just get everyone else's garbage

guinness-brilliant.jpg

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I saw that too. It has to be ended. Some has got to end it. He can't keep doing the dumbest possible thing, and not suffer any consequences.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
I wish I was the one who had to give Amaro his pink slip , I would probably be more happy doing that than winning the lottery , next time I go I'm going to bring a gigantic banner that reads "fire Ruben" on it, to the ball park.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wish I was the one who had to give Amaro his pink slip , I would probably be more happy doing that than winning the lottery , next time I go I'm going to bring a gigantic banner that reads "fire Ruben" on it, to the ball park.

They did have some "fire Ruben" chants going over the weekend. It should increasingly pick up as the season goes on and very well into next year if the season goes down the tubes again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've lost all faith in Amaro. I actually have more confidence in the Sixers turning it around than I do the Phillies. Toss him into the river and be done with it.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Cloyd doing badly. Omg I just don't get it. He was great in AAA that must mean he's an awesome starter.

IDIOTS

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Cloyd doing badly. Omg I just don't get it. He was great in AAA that must mean he's an awesome starter.

IDIOTS

I was going in and out of sleep during the game, but from what i heard it seemed like he really settled down after a rough first inning.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I was going in and out of sleep during the game, but from what i heard it seemed like he really settled down after a rough first inning.

He gave 3 runs in the first, 1 run on three hits in the second, and a home run in the third. Then after that he scattered a few hits over the next three innings. He is not a major league starter. Bring up another kid from the minors who actually has a future.

That goes the same for mayberry, mcdonald, wells, and martinez. These guys are not major leaguers. Why are they here holding back jobs for young players with talent? It‘s ridiculous.

Also, Halladay apparently believes he is ready despite throwing 87. Didn't this already happen earlier this year? You know, when he clearly wasn't at a 100% but they still let him go out there anyway? For once, tell the man no. Give him at least one more start to try and get his velocity up to something decent. They start Halladay in five days, he is going to get smacked around again and nobody wants to see that.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
He gave 3 runs in the first, 1 run on three hits in the second, and a home run in the third. Then after that he scattered a few hits over the next three innings. He is not a major league starter. Bring up another kid from the minors who actually has a future.

That goes the same for mayberry, mcdonald, wells, and martinez. These guys are not major leaguers. Why are they here holding back jobs for young players with talent? It‘s ridiculous.

Also, Halladay apparently believes he is ready despite throwing 87. Didn't this already happen earlier this year? You know, when he clearly wasn't at a 100% but they still let him go out there anyway? For once, tell the man no. Give him at least one more start to try and get his velocity up to something decent. They start Halladay in five days, he is going to get smacked around again and nobody wants to see that.

Who is ready to make that jump?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Morgan probably would've been the call up, but he just got back from injury and his K/BB splits are poor right now.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007

Here's some sobering news for Roy Halladay from an ESPN article:

Over at FanGraphs, Eno Sarris did the math. What he found was news Roy Halladay wouldn't want to hear.

Sarris didn't study this particular surgery. Or even shoulder surgery in general. He studied the broadest possible area that can possibly be studied involving a case like this.

He looked simply at all pitchers, age 35 or older, who merely went on the disabled list for a shoulder injury. Period.

He zeroed in on every pitcher who fit that description since 2002 -- and found that only six of them threw more than 100 innings over the rest of their careers. (Those six: John Smoltz (106), Pedro Martinez (153.2), Kenny Rogers (173.2), John Burkett (181.2), Tim Wakefield (424.1) and Orlando Hernandez (438.1).)

More than half of the pitchers he looked at (32 of 62) never threw a single big league inning again. And the group as a whole lasted an average of 59 innings before calling it a career.

Also, why is Cloyd in the lineup? Who else are they gonna bring up from AAA? There's is no one else. Martin, Pettibone and Cloyd are the only guys. The only other option is to have a guy like Jesse Biddle make the jump from AA to the Majors.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

I was gonna say Adam Morgan but they aren't letting him go for more than 80 pitches. That said, Id give Buchanan a start before Cloyd. Or Id love to see Biddle for a start to see what he could do (it is only one start with Halladay and pettibone coming back). Anything but Cloyd. We know what he can do. Give someone else a chance.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Also, why is Cloyd in the lineup? Who else are they gonna bring up from AAA? There's is no one else. Martin, Pettibone and Cloyd are the only guys. The only other option is to have a guy like Jesse Biddle make the jump from AA to the Majors.

I was gonna say Adam Morgan but they aren't letting him go for more than 80 pitches. That said, Id give Buchanan a start before Cloyd. Or Id love to see Biddle for a start to see what he could do (it is only one start with Halladay and pettibone coming back). Anything but Cloyd. We know what he can do. Give someone else a chance.

This is what I was saying. Morgan isn't ready after coming back I don't think. I don't want to rush Biddle. Maybe Buchanan I guess but I just don't know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I would call up- LHP Mauricio Robles (has been good in LV although too many walks) and OF Leandro Castro or OF Tyson Gillies. Castro and Gillies have speed and are both very good defenders. Heck, I would have even gone with Derrick Mitchell over Casper Wells, plus I know that Sandberg is a big fan of D Mitch.

For the Sept callups, I'd bring up C Cameron Rupp and LHP Adam Morgan.

I watched Perci Gardner's AAA debut the other night, he was a high pick in 2010 out of college but had injury problems. He looked good but is still a work in progress as much like most of the phils pitching prospects he struggles with command but has a good FB, change up and a decent curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00