OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
But he wasn't suspended.

I think you can argue that the play was "dirty" because it had an unnecessarily high chance of leading to an injury, and you can argue that they should change the rules. But I don't think you can successfully argue that he actually broke an existing rule. So how can you justify a suspension?

The key word is should. I know most of you are biased, but what he did should not be legal. im done arguing is. If everyone here thinks it is acceptable to tackle middle a infielder, than so be it. If the Phillies were in the playoffs and someone did this to JRoll/Utley, we all would be irate and be demanding a suspension. No one even try to argue that. There is no place in baseball for that and the rule should be changed.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The key word is should. I know most of you are biased, but what he did should not be legal. im done arguing is. If everyone here thinks it is acceptable to tackle middle a infielder, than so be it. If the Phillies were in the playoffs and someone did this to JRoll/Utley, we all would be irate and be demanding a suspension. No one even try to argue that. There is no place in baseball for that and the rule should be changed.

baseball has been the "perfect game for over a hundred years" we've already have had so much tinkering with the game over the past 3 years it bugs the hell out of me.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

So then change the rules. But don't suspend a guy for breaking a rule that doesn't exist.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Coughlan pretty much did the same slide on Kang a few weeks ago and broke his leg. He should have been suspended too. Chase basically looked like how some defensive backs tackle. it was bad,

Please show us in the rule book, what rule he broke to be suspended. We'll all wait, and wait, and wait some more

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Do you think it was a dirty play? yes or no answer. I see so many Phillies fans saying it was clean. probably the same idiots who applauded Cole for drilling Harper.

I said earlier I thought it was against the spirit of the game. I don't think he intended injury, so no, I wouldn't call it dirty. I think he was trying to "blow up the double play" which is legal and is something that Utley has done a lot in his career, but it was a bad slide.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Please show us in the rule book, what rule he broke to be suspended. We'll all wait, and wait, and wait some more

You'll have to ask Mr. Torre. The MLB can make up the rules as they go along (see ARod's suspension). They could have figured something out. Something with Rougned Odor last week, he spiked a player on the Angels. The MLB seems to have ignored this, and now they have a problem. With suspending Utley, it means their umpire blew a call. Should have been an inning ending doube play and the Mets leading 2-1.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It kind of reminds me of the Richards hit on Booth situation years ago. At the time you know that it's something that isn't right but there's no rule in place to do anything about it. The NHL did the right thing though by not going against their own rule book & used that as an example to put forth one going forward opposed to the MLB.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Anyway, if he wins his appeal, Mattingly should lead him off. He has hit Harvey well. Ideally all 4 teams in the NL are eliminated.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yea, I think the problem for the MLB on this appeal is that Utley's lawyer will probably be able to find 50 examples in which this has happened and nothing was done. Unless MLB says that because those plays didn't result in an injury is why they weren't suspended, but then they put their foot in their mouth, you don't penalize a result, you penalize the action.

Utley's slide was hard and late, but I believe he was within the line, I've seen much more egregious.

Plus didn't Tejada do some stupid spin move that kind of ended up making it worse?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I just saw a quick gif of it. If Tejada takes the ball and keeps going, he avoid Utley, him planting and turning kept him in the line of fire. Not blaming him, just speaking out loud

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
If he doesn't break his leg no one cares. People have gone way further out of their way to break up a double play. If you want to change the wording of the rules to alter how you go into 2nd that's fine, but you can't suspend a guy in the playoffs for not breaking any rules.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Which is stupid, if you ask me.

Just like the block plate rule because of Posey, ok he's the best C in the league (arguably), but lets change a rule that's stood for 115 years because some guy got hurt?

But how many other guys broke their legs and nobody gave ****?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He should have been called for interference, and it would have been an automatic double play. The fact that they didnt call that means that they thought the play was legal. That play is hardly ever called but I remember back in August of 2007 in that 4 game series against the Met when someone slid into Tad Iguchi and the game ended on interference and double play. Randolph went nuts.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He should have been called for interference, and it would have been an automatic double play. The fact that they didnt call that means that they thought the play was legal. That play is hardly ever called but I remember back in August of 2007 in that 4 game series against the Met when someone slid into Tad Iguchi and the game ended on interference and double play. Randolph went nuts.

Yea, that was great, wasn't it?

Compare?

I can't post the damn photo.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
My beef wasn't that he slid wide, it's that he started his slide literally almost on top of the bag and hurled his WHOLE body at Tejada's leg. I didn't know if he should've gotten suspended, at the very least I thought it was an out. This is coming from a big Utley fan and an avid hater of Mets.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My beef wasn't that he slid wide, it's that he started his slide literally almost on top of the bag and hurled his WHOLE body at Tejada's leg. I didn't know if he should've gotten suspended, at the very least I thought it was an out. This is coming from a big Utley fan and an avid hater of Mets.

Yup...it was a late slide, not 1 person will argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad