OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The slide was late; it seems to me to be against the spirit of the game. But he was still in a position to touch the bag (looked like he was about to touch it with his hand when his head hit Tejada's thigh) so by the book it's legal.

I think his number one objective was to make sure Tejada couldn't turn two by blowing him up, but I don't think he meant to go in as high as he did. We've seen Utley make similar plays many times over the years and it's never looked like he was trying to hurt guys.

Tejada never touched the bag (according to the replay officials) and neither did Utley because the umpire called him out. There are people (they seem to be mostly people rooting for or covering the Mets) complaining that since Utley left the basepath to go to the dugout that he should have been called out. There's definitely going to be a lot of whining over this for various reasons.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
You're taught to break up a double play, but he basically dove into him. It's not illegal from the rules, but it is dirty.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You're taught to break up a double play, but he basically dove into him. It's not illegal from the rules, but it is dirty.

dodgers win a world series and he will be a legend in LA. This is professional sports .....you do what it takes to win.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
dodgers win a world series and he will be a legend in LA. This is professional sports .....you do what it takes to win.

Sure, but he could have side a foot before and it would have been as bad. It was a dirty, but legal play by the rules.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
sure he could've made it look less dirty, but why take a chance

You think diving into a player like that should be legal? I dont even consider that a slide. You are biased due to him being a legend here. I dont blame him, I blame baseball for making this acceptable.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You think diving into a player like that should be legal? I dont even consider that a slide. You are biased due to him being a legend here. I dont blame him, I blame baseball for making this acceptable.

first off, utley is a legend everywhere. Second, the reason why this is a big deal is because he broke his fibia. Read Biggio's comments about it. He is 100 percent right, everytime there is an injury the sports world tries to correct it aka tom brady acl, joe mauer injury. INjuries happen , that play could happen 100 times and 99 of them tejada would be fine.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
Read Biggio's comments about it. He is 100 percent right, everytime there is an injury the sports world tries to correct it aka tom brady acl, joe mauer injury. INjuries happen , that play could happen 100 times and 99 of them tejada would be fine.

Agreed 100%. We can thank Buster Poseys injury for the stupid rule MLB adopted with blocking the plate. The game was fine for over 100 years without that rule in place and now you never know how a play at the plate is going to be called as it is applied very inconsistently.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
first off, utley is a legend everywhere. Second, the reason why this is a big deal is because he broke his fibia. Read Biggio's comments about it. He is 100 percent right, everytime there is an injury the sports world tries to correct it aka tom brady acl, joe mauer injury. INjuries happen , that play could happen 100 times and 99 of them tejada would be fine.

You arent gettng it, he dove into him. it wasnt a slide. It was a dive/tackle. This is a play that has former players split on it. Raul called it a dirty slide. Victorino didnt.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You arent gettng it, he dove into him. it wasnt a slide. It was a dive/tackle. This is a play that has former players split on it. Raul called it a dirty slide. Victorino didnt.

so what do you want? it was a slide/extremely late slide . So what are you complaining about?

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
wait i thought all this complaining was about him being suspended, and now that he is suspended you want him to appeal? make up your mind

He is appealing, they just tweeted it out. I didnt say I wanted him to appeal, said he probably will which he is. It was a dirty play and you know it. Stop being so biased.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He is appealing, they just tweeted it out. I didnt say I wanted him to appeal, said he probably will which he is. It was a dirty play and you know it. Stop being so biased.

ahhh so that is what all the complaining is about...you think it was a dirty play?

Again remember this is professional sports, you do whatever it takes to win, its how the game is played and its now he has always played. hard nosed baseball, this is how the game used to be played all the time.

Dirty is bill laimbeer, dirty is sharpening your cleats and sliding cleat first into people '( ty cobb), what utley did is not dirty just an unfortunate injury.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
ahhh so that is what all the complaining is about...you think it was a dirty play?

Again remember this is professional sports, you do whatever it takes to win, its how the game is played and its now he has always played. hard nosed baseball, this is how the game used to be played all the time.

Dirty is bill laimbeer, dirty is sharpening your cleats and sliding cleat first into people '( ty cobb), what utley did is not dirty just an unfortunate injury.

I agree. What was he supposed to do...let them turn the double play and end the inning? He had one thing on his mind...that he cannot let Tejada get the ball to first. It is unfortunate that it ended the way it did...but Utley was trying to keep the inning alive, not break Tejadas leg. Utley def felt that play too...it was not cheap and cowardly like spearimg someone in hockey or throwing at a guys head. Bottom line is he won the game for his team by giving his all.

The suspension is just to keep drama out of NY...glad to see MLB is just as bad at handling these things as the rest of the sports.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is this the first suspension for a slide? Seems a little reactionary. Altuve got blown up on a similar play in the wildcard game and no one batted an eye.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'd be cheering my ass off talking about how Utley is such an old school player and praising his all out balls to the wall attitude if he were here so, I'll refrain from commenting further :laugh:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Is this the first suspension for a slide? Seems a little reactionary. Altuve got blown up on a similar play in the wildcard game and no one batted an eye.

If not for the injury then there would be no suspension and nobody would be talking about it anymore. I don't think there's a rule in the rule book that Utley actually violated so I don't really see how they can suspend him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If not for the injury then there would be no suspension and nobody would be talking about it anymore. I don't think there's a rule in the rule book that Utley actually violated so I don't really see how they can suspend him.

Coughlan pretty much did the same slide on Kang a few weeks ago and broke his leg. He should have been suspended too. Chase basically looked like how some defensive backs tackle. it was bad,

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Coughlan pretty much did the same slide on Kang a few weeks ago and broke his leg. He should have been suspended too. Chase basically looked like how some defensive backs tackle. it was bad,

But he wasn't suspended.

I think you can argue that the play was "dirty" because it had an unnecessarily high chance of leading to an injury, and you can argue that they should change the rules. But I don't think you can successfully argue that he actually broke an existing rule. So how can you justify a suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad