OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Cant stand the Astros. All stems back to 10 years ago when Biggio hit that homerun off Wagner.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
'09 Yankees :huh:

Cant be mad at them. If Lidge and Hamels werent terrible that season, they probably win. Im also was a little pissed Happ didnt start in the World Series over Cole. he pitched better in 2009, dont care if FIP and xFIP say differently.

Phunhog

Jul 18, 2007
I just don't need to see anymore Yankees. They're on ESPN 24/7, obviously East coast bias.

Another point, I don't like the Wild Card playoff 1 and done. Baseball is played in series, should be best of 3. I'm glad I'm not a fan of the Pirates or Cubs cause an excellent team will be making tee times on Thursday.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I just don't need to see anymore Yankees. They're on ESPN 24/7, obviously East coast bias.

Another point, I don't like the Wild Card playoff 1 and done. Baseball is played in series, should be best of 3. I'm glad I'm not a fan of the Pirates or Cubs cause an excellent team will be making tee times on Thursday.

MLB kind of lucked out that this year both wild card games are between teams only separated by 1 game in the standings. Some year a team is going to win the first wildcard by 5 games and then lose the play-in game. If there was one change I could make in sports it would be to get rid of the 2nd wildcard. At the very least they should play a real series; best of 5 and cut the regular season back a little. But it won't happen because $.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Considering that MLB FA starts right after the WS ends (or pretty close). Do we think a GM will be named during the postseason?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
MLB kind of lucked out that this year both wild card games are between teams only separated by 1 game in the standings. Some year a team is going to win the first wildcard by 5 games and then lose the play-in game. If there was one change I could make in sports it would be to get rid of the 2nd wildcard. At the very least they should play a real series; best of 5 and cut the regular season back a little. But it won't happen because $.
They can't play a series for the wildcard because you can't have the division winners sitting at home for 10-14 days waiting to play. That's a huge advantage to the wildcard winner.

The only solution is to get rid of the 2nd wildcard, but like you said that won't happen.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Fell asleep in like the 7th or 8th inning of this one, but man the Astros look like a pretty good team. I didn't even expect them to sniff the playoffs this season. They were not much better than the Phillies were this season. Their rebuild has gone on longer so I am not suggesting that the Phillies will bounce back in the same way, but it shows that anything is possible.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Phillies need to find their Dallas Keuchel and Carlos Correa to turn it around that quickly.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Phillies need to find their Dallas Keuchel and Carlos Correa to turn it around that quickly.

They have Crawford...

They don't have an ace in the system. Nola is the best they got. Maybe this years first rounder.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Pitchers can come out of nowhere. Corey Kluber is the most recent example. de Grom wasnt highly touted either.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
They can't play a series for the wildcard because you can't have the division winners sitting at home for 10-14 days waiting to play. That's a huge advantage to the wildcard winner.

The only solution is to get rid of the 2nd wildcard, but like you said that won't happen.

If they wanted, they could get it over with in 5-6 days, then have an off day before the next round starts. But that's still probably too long to have the division winner sit, so point taken.

I just hate that a 162 game season comes down to 1 game like that. They might as well flip a coin.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They have Crawford...

They don't have an ace in the system. Nola is the best they got. Maybe this years first rounder.
I love Crawford, but I don't think he's going to be as good as Correa.

The 1st pick is likely where you find that stud #1.

I just hate that a 162 game season comes down to 1 game like that. They might as well flip a coin.
Yeah it sucks but it makes for exciting TV.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lindor> Correa this year. DGAF about his high BABIP. Much better fielder too.

He had a great year too. Power seemingly came out of nowhere.

This group of shortstops could be like the A-Rod, Jeter, Nomar era.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He had a great year too. Power seemingly came out of nowhere.

This group of shortstops could be like the A-Rod, Jeter, Nomar era.

Yup, add in Seager, Ketel Marte (who was really good for Seattle), Boagearts and maybe even Machado if he ever plays there. Im sure Im forgetting a few.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I love Crawford, but I don't think he's going to be as good as Correa.

The 1st pick is likely where you find that stud #1.

Yeah it sucks but it makes for exciting TV.

I remember somebody saying that Altherr numbers weren't off from Correa in AA. I'll have to try to find it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yup, add in Seager, Ketel Marte (who was really good for Seattle), Boagearts and maybe even Machado if he ever plays there. Im sure Im forgetting a few.

Addison Russell too.

Machado might be the best of the bunch if they would let him play SS full-time.

Exciting if you are a baseball fan. That position has been lackluster for years.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad