OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): How is Ruben still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
1342855753_cognac-hennessy-paradis.jpg

Brignac Cognac

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
So uh, what's the deal with Dom Brown this year? Was last year an outlier? I think he's easily the biggest disappointment of this season so far.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
For anyone who closely follows baseball...what is the long term outlook for this team? Do they have anyone in their system that could potentially be a foundation for a contending team in a few years?

I keep hearing about Franco, Crawford, Biddle, Joseph, Nola, and we have seen some of Ruf, Asche, Galvis, Hernandez, etc...but do any of these guys really have the potential to be impact players? I feel like the farm system is constantly turning out disappointments (Dom Brown), and I can't tell if its because the organization overrates their prospects or just sucks at developing them.

Also, any bright outlook on the sellers market? They actually have some players that other teams could use...but any reason to think they could get something good in return?

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
For anyone who closely follows baseball...what is the long term outlook for this team? Do they have anyone in their system that could potentially be a foundation for a contending team in a few years?

I keep hearing about Franco, Crawford, Biddle, Joseph, Nola, and we have seen some of Ruf, Asche, Galvis, Hernandez, etc...but do any of these guys really have the potential to be impact players? I feel like the farm system is constantly turning out disappointments (Dom Brown), and I can't tell if its because the organization overrates their prospects or just sucks at developing them.

Also, any bright outlook on the sellers market? They actually have some players that other teams could use...but any reason to think they could get something good in return?

It's not a great farm system. Yes, there are some guys with impact potential: Franco and Crawford, and some lottery tickets in A-ball and below. Biddle is probably a #3/4 starter.

As for selling pieces at the deadline, we're probably not going to see any fantastic prospects coming in unless some team gets really desperate. We could get back solid players though. Basically, there is some real work to do for the team to become elite again.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Probably 5-6 years away from being relevant again. The longer they hold onto this generation, however, the longer the window gets pushed back.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Stolen from CrossingBroad but Jesus Christ.

Ruben Amaro-
“Yeah, we were checking it out. In fact Schmitty was in the booth yesterday when we were talking about it, and, um, I think it’s about a thousand difference in, ah, plate appearances. Pretty amazing. But their batting averages aren’t that different, which is kind of… weird. I don’t quite understand it.”

A little thing called walks. Ruben Amaro legitimately doesn't know what a walk is.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Chase will be in the ASG and I think Cole could be too if he keeps up his form. Other than that they are terrible.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA

Well, if you want to be depressed, there was this article by one of the guys over at Phillies Nation recently: The Hopeless Phillies of 2014 and Beyond. The gist of it is that they have a lot of older guys who either aren't movable for whatever reason (Howard, Rollins) or won't bring you back much if you do move them, they'll free up money after next season but there aren't any really good free agents that'll be available, and oh yeah the minor league system is thin on talent and seems unable to polish anyone to overcome flaws that they have.

Feels like being a kid again, watching those late 80s/early 90s teams (outside of the 93 team, of course) flounder and never seem to know what they were doing. :help:

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Well, if you want to be depressed, there was this article by one of the guys over at Phillies Nation recently: The Hopeless Phillies of 2014 and Beyond. The gist of it is that they have a lot of older guys who either aren't movable for whatever reason (Howard, Rollins) or won't bring you back much if you do move them, they'll free up money after next season but there aren't any really good free agents that'll be available, and oh yeah the minor league system is thin on talent and seems unable to polish anyone to overcome flaws that they have.

Feels like being a kid again, watching those late 80s/early 90s teams (outside of the 93 team, of course) flounder and never seem to know what they were doing. :help:

that article just made me really sad :(

they literally wont be competitive again for another 7-10 years

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Probably 5-6 years away from being relevant again. The longer they hold onto this generation, however, the longer the window gets pushed back.

This blows my mind. I think I said it on here before but I argued with a guy that wrote an article while the Phils were still good saying their future was bleak at best because of the Braves and Nats and the Phils lack of prospects.

I remember saying that his prediction was based completely on the idea that the Phils would do absolutely nothing over the next few years, and basically wither away into nothing instead of making some necessary trades...well here we ****ing are....unbe****inglievable.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
This blows my mind. I think I said it on here before but I argued with a guy that wrote an article while the Phils were still good saying their future was bleak at best because of the Braves and Nats and the Phils lack of prospects.

I remember saying that his prediction was based completely on the idea that the Phils would do absolutely nothing over the next few years, and basically wither away into nothing instead of making some necessary trades...well here we ****ing are....unbe****inglievable.

This is my biggest complaint about RAJ. Were some of the trades he made overpayments when we were serious competitors? Absolutely, but if we would have won one more WS, then it all would have been worth it. However, refusing to sell off and undergo some sort of retool/rebuild during the past 2 seasons is just absolutely maddening.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Jimmy ties Schmidt today. He could pass him tomorrow, or perhaps do it Sunday when Mike is in the booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad