OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Christmas In July: Cole For Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
If Mazara isn't in it, no deal. This is one of the best LHP's in the league ur gonna have to pay at least one of your top 3 prospects. Add to that, Hamels is locked up for a price cheaper than anyone at his level where you would have to outbid for their services in the FA market this winter

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
building the new phillies not sure what players will get with all these hopeful trades nor how long it will take to build. so lets do it this way.

who in our farm system is good and worth being on phillies, some are on team right now. but how long will it take to find the new CORE PLAYERS the one's who will be good and will last for a good 12 years or so.

so of the 9 position in baseball who is our next group of guys

1B ?
2B hernanadez ?
3B Franco ?
SS Crawford ?
C ?
LF ?
CF ?
RF?

SP need 5 nola , biddle, ? ? ?
RP ? ? ? ?
closer giles

C Deivi Grullon
1B Rhys Hoskins
2B Scott Kingery
3B Maikel Franco
SS JP Crawford
OF Cornelius Randoph
OF Roman Quinn
OF Carlos Tocci

SP- Nola, Kilome, Eflin, Pinto, Biddle
RP- Giles, Victor Arano, Elniery Garcia, Ben Lively, Edubray Ramos, Adonis Medina, Tom Windle

You could fill in a "projected" lineup with the team's top prospect at each position, but it would never come to fruition in real life since most prospects don't make it. One of the strengths of the Phillies' system is the sheer number of guys you could look at and say "yeah, he could be a major leaguer in some capacity if things go right". Some will emerge and become "legit" prospects in the eyes of national rankers, but most wont.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Mazara isn't in it, no deal. This is one of the best LHP's in the league ur gonna have to pay at least one of your top 3 prospects. Add to that, Hamels is locked up for a price cheaper than anyone at his level where you would have to outbid for their services in the FA market this winter

Yeah, I get them not wanting to give up Gallo, but Mazara's gotta be in the deal. I'd almost prefer him to Gallo.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Kinda want JBJ from the Red Sox. Margot, JBJ, Vazquez, and Owens would be cool. Dunno, might be too rich.

Last edited:

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, I get them not wanting to give up Gallo, but Mazara's gotta be in the deal. I'd almost prefer him to Gallo.

Nick Williams is a better hitter than Mazara imo. It's close and I'm fine with either. Frankly, its Alfaro that I like least of the the 3.

The Dodgers aren't offering Seager or Urias, so the options are limited until that out of nowhere dark horse comes along.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nick Williams is a better hitter than Mazara imo. It's close and I'm fine with either. Frankly, its Alfaro that I like least of the the 3.

The Dodgers aren't offering Seager or Urias, so the options are limited until that out of nowhere dark horse comes along.
Williams and Mazara have similar numbers at the same level except Mazara is almost two years younger. Seems like a no brainier. Williams' minor league BB rates aren't that great either.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Williams and Mazara have similar numbers at the same level except Mazara is almost two years younger. Seems like a no brainier. Williams' minor league BB rates aren't that great either.

I've watched Williams a ton. His changes this year are nothing short of spectacular. He's improved his K/BB by nearly 200%. There was an article highlighting his change in approach.

Again, its pretty close to me. I certainly think the Phillies need to push for 2 from Alfaro, Mazara and Williams, but I don't think any particular one needs to be in. Honestly, for me, I'd sooner take Mazara or Williams than Gallo from my personal viewing.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah Gallo scares me.

I don't remember a time when there were this many teams in the running for a player at the deadline. Normally I would say its fabricated by the team looking to deal the player, but I don't know if the Phillies are savy enough to pull it off. The more teams that stay in the discussion, the higher the price. Houston and Arizona are apparently interested as well. Someone might get desperate.

Last edited:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I understand that teams want to give up as little as possible, but the idea that certain prospects are off the table perplexes me. Hamels is one of the top pitchers in the game, isn't old, isn't a rental, has a low stress delivery, is signed at below market value at this point, and his only true flaw (HR's) is exaggerated by the park he plays in. These kids aren't Bryce Harper, there's no reason they should be off the table.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I understand that teams want to give up as little as possible, but the idea that certain prospects are off the table perplexes me. Hamels is one of the top pitchers in the game, isn't old, isn't a rental, has a low stress delivery, is signed at below market value at this point, and his only true flaw (HR's) is exaggerated by the park he plays in. These kids aren't Bryce Harper, there's no reason they should be off the table.

Its no different than the Flyers not wanting to trade Morin or Samhein for an established player. Some prospects just have more value to teams. Regardless of who they might get in return.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

Dave Cameron at Fangraphs suggests that a trade around Mazara and a couple of lesser pieces would make sense for the Phillies. That or Gonzalez plus Alfaro. It's infuriating. If those deals were remotely close, Hamels would've gotten traded last offseason. Deadline deals don't look like that. Jeff Samardzija got traded for Addison Freaking Russel last deadline. Since Hamels's contract actually has value to the Dodgers and Rangers and Red Sox, a blue chipper *has* to be on the table.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Its no different than the Flyers not wanting to trade Morin or Samhein for an established player. Some prospects just have more value to teams. Regardless of who they might get in return.

It's a big reach to compare hockey and baseball in this regard.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

Pronger.

If we were a contending team with the cap space to make a move and Shea Weber was on the table we'd trade them. Baseball prospects are also way less of a guarantee than top picks in hockey.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

This is true, but baseball prospects are much harder to predict than hockey. There are so many untouchables that never amount to anything. Delmon Young was once the top rated prospect in baseball. Dom Brown was 3rd behind Trout and Harper. Would I give up Morin or Sanheim for someone like Petrangelo, I definitely would.

When Cole is able to locate his fastball he is a top 5 pitcher in the game. Saturday pretty much proved that. Was reading on fangraphs that he threw his fastball less than 1/3 of the time. His changeup got 13 swings in misses on 34 thrown, and curveball was just nasty. Cole's problem is he isnt as consistent as other pitchers.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Right...but if the Flyers were trying to acquire an NHL star with similar value to Hamels and said "we want him, but we arent giving up Prov, Morin, Sanheim, or Ghost"...the other GM probably hangs up.

If they want to hang on to their prospects then fine...some of us are just saying you shouldnt be in the market for a top pitcher if you arent willing to pay for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad