OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Christmas In July: Cole For Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Continue Here...

Previous Thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1774901

-------------------

Phillies introduce Andy MacPhail

Andy MacPhail's tenure as Phillies president will not officially begin until after the season, when the longtime baseball executive succeeds Pat Gillick in the role.

Gillick, in turn, will have final say on any trades the Phillies make leading to a crucial July 31 trade deadline. MacPhail will spend the season's final three months as a special assistant to Gillick, and during that time will observe the organization and how it functions. MacPhail, 62, has been out of baseball since 2011, his final year as the Baltimore Orioles' president of baseball operations.

"I think my three main functions are going to be to read, to watch and to listen," MacPhail said Monday afternoon at an introductory press conference at Citizens Bank Park. "And then hopefully within three months I'll have a clear idea of what I think is appropriate and needs to be done."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...y-MacPhail-on-Monday.html#Iu0QQVlQHjckU6SO.99

Last edited:

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
all i have to say is that those who think it will be 7-10 years before we are good, are mistaken. with the amount of money we can spend, and the big deals coming off the books in the next 2-3 years, we will be able to buy an entire team if we wanted

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
all i have to say is that those who think it will be 7-10 years before we are good, are mistaken. with the amount of money we can spend, and the big deals coming off the books in the next 2-3 years, we will be able to buy an entire team if we wanted

This is my line of thinking. i really thought there was no future, but I think it all depends on Franco and Crawford. If those two can be close to the players they are projected to be, this rebuild will be much easier. If Galvis can hit around .270, you can plug him into 2nd and you have 3/4 of your infield. 1st baseman is the easiest position to find.

Not sure what their long term plan in the outfield is, dont think Dom Brown is part of it. Think that the way they can should go the next first round picks they have, unless they can get a top of a rotation starter.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That always works. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
That depends if the Phillies owners don't close their wallets like they have for 99% of their history. Wasn't long ago the fans were complaining how cheap the Phillies were.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
the phillies have become one of the biggest franchises in mlb, i dont think the phillies would risk that, and even then, they have their new TV deal, so they dont really have a reason to be cheap anymore

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
the phillies have become one of the biggest franchises in mlb, i dont think the phillies would risk that, and even then, they have their new TV deal, so they dont really have a reason to be cheap anymore

Their new TV deal that really is peanuts compared to what it should have been.

Thanks a lot, Ruben.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Free agency is nice, but its a short term fix and you pay for past performance. Its not really a good investment, unless you get a guy like Jason Heyward, in his prime, but those guys are few and far between (and Heyward is have a disaster season).

I would rather the Phillies spend money in the international free agent pool and go over slot for draft picks more often, but that will never happen with the current ownership.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Rosenthal (I think) kicked out an article yesterday suggesting teams that need an ace and will be looking for one, to really jump the gun on Hamels.

History shows that once Hamels gets going, he stays going, and two things happen, price will go up or you lose games he could've won for you.

He said its unconventional for teams to make a big move so early, so don't get anxious.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Rosenthal (I think) kicked out an article yesterday suggesting teams that need an ace and will be looking for one, to really jump the gun on Hamels.

History shows that once Hamels gets going, he stays going, and two things happen, price will go up or you lose games he could've won for you.

He said its unconventional for teams to make a big move so early, so don't get anxious.

I honestly dont know what to expect for him. But if he keeps up how he has been after his first 3 starts, he will be an all star and a cy young candidate. The Dodgers lost Ru for the year and Greinke could walk in the offseason. The Red Sox need him too. Houston is 7 games up with a great farm system, but isnt on his list.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I honestly dont know what to expect for him. But if he keeps up how he has been after his first 3 starts, he will be an all star and a cy young candidate. The Dodgers lost Ru for the year and Greinke could walk in the offseason. The Red Sox need him too. Houston is 7 games up with a great farm system, but isnt on his list.

Wouldn't it be something if Hamels was traded to Houston and the Phillies reacquired the prospects they sent for Pence? I'd probably cry.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Same, but if this guy is pitching like an Ace and Ruben picks up some money, they better load up hard, like 3 good to great prospects at MINIMUM.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Wouldn't it be something if Hamels was traded to Houston and the Phillies reacquired the prospects they sent for Pence? I'd probably cry.

Would be hard:

Cossart - on Miami
Singleton - Back in Minors
Zeid - In minors (kind of sucks)
Santana - Back in Minors

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
They've been moving the fences in for a couple of years now.

I was talking more along the lines of Sean O'Sullivan giving up 4 bombs today alone (1 to the opposing pitcher), so it was meant as sarcasm.

It's still a pitcher's park even with recent modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad