OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Christmas In July: Cole For Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Normally I wouldn't mind, but Gallo has an exceptionally terrible K rate. Like way worse than Ryan Howard. Not sure if I would want any part of that.

Valid concern, but I'm not sure how many perfect prospects are out there. If there are, Phillies won't get them anyway.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
These trades are always tricky. I mean, 5 years ago the Padres sent a young obscure pitcher to Cleveland in a 3 team trade for Ryan Ludwick. That pitcher name happened to be Corey Kluber. There are many more examples of highly touted prospects getting trading and never working out and vice versa.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Valid concern, but I'm not sure how many perfect prospects are out there. If there are, Phillies won't get them anyway.

I'm not expecting a perfect prospect. The high strikeout rate is just worth noting as it's incredible.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The Rangers are apparently open to moving Gallardo. I wonder if they try to do what Ruben (unsuccessfully) did a few years ago when he traded Lee to cover the prospect loss it took to get Halladay. That could be good news for us if it makes Texas more open to giving up more for Cole.

The Phillies apparently like Alfaro and Mazara. I read Texas wont give up both, but if I were the Phillies that is what I would be asking for. If these teams are not willing to give up their top prospect, they better be prepared to give up up two of their top 4. OF/C are two positions the Phillies need moving forward...potentially solving them both out of this trade would be worth it.

I'd rather get quality of quantity in return...but who knows what the Phillies want.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The Rangers are apparently open to moving Gallardo. I wonder if they try to do what Ruben (unsuccessfully) did a few years ago when he traded Lee to cover the prospect loss it took to get Halladay. That could be good news for us if it makes Texas more open to giving up more for Cole.

The Phillies apparently like Alfaro and Mazara. I read Texas wont give up both, but if I were the Phillies that is what I would be asking for. If these teams are not willing to give up their top prospect, they better be prepared to give up up two of their top 4. OF/C are two positions the Phillies need moving forward...potentially solving them both out of this trade would be worth it.

I'd rather get quality of quantity in return...but who knows what the Phillies want.

I don't know much about the Rangers prospects, but what I've read about Alfaro and Mazara is very promising. I'd love to get those two and a lesser prospect. I think I heard somewhere the Phillies are asking for 1 MLB ready guy, 2 stud prospects, and three minor prospects or something like that. I don't see it happening, but 2 of the their top prospects plus a lesser prospect I think is very reasonable for Hamels.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
These trades are always tricky. I mean, 5 years ago the Padres sent a young obscure pitcher to Cleveland in a 3 team trade for Ryan Ludwick. That pitcher name happened to be Corey Kluber. There are many more examples of highly touted prospects getting trading and never working out and vice versa.

That's why you need an mlb ready (on the Phils) 21-22 year old kid coming back as the center piece even if it means you only get 2 players instead of 4. You can't afford another Lee trade. No teenagers as the centerpieces of the deal.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I don't know much about the Rangers prospects, but what I've read about Alfaro and Mazara is very promising. I'd love to get those two and a lesser prospect. I think I heard somewhere the Phillies are asking for 1 MLB ready guy, 2 stud prospects, and three minor prospects or something like that. I don't see it happening, but 2 of the their top prospects plus a lesser prospect I think is very reasonable for Hamels.

I agree.

Quinn - CF
Crawford - SS
Franco - 3B
Mazara - RF
Alfaro - C
Free Agent? - 1B
Hernandez - 2B
Asche - LF

Assuming all of those guys pan out, that could the line up in a couple of years. I don't know if Hernandez and Asche are in the long term plans...but for now that wouldnt be too bad.

Gonna be a long week of rumors :popcorn:

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Kingery shouldn't be overlooked either, our 2B drafted this year. After a slow start in Lakewood, he's been red hot over the last month. College guy, could be up in a year or two.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I agree.

Quinn - CF
Crawford - SS
Franco - 3B
Mazara - RF
Alfaro - C
Joseph - 1B
Kingery - 2B
Asche - LF

Assuming all of those guys pan out, that could the line up in a couple of years. I don't know if Hernandez and Asche are in the long term plans...but for now that wouldnt be too bad.

Gonna be a long week of rumors :popcorn:

Bolded is a possibility. On paper that is a pretty solid lineup if the guys all continue to improve the way we want. Not very likely though in my opinion. Baseball is so sketchy with prospects. Even if they got Mazara and Alfaro, I wouldn't be surprised if neither every became anything more than average players. Just how it goes.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Blue Jays should go all in for Hamels & Papelbon, they need both. They can rake, now they just need elite pitching to go with it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Neither of them wants to go to Toronto

They may not want to, but I have to imagine that if it is Philly or Toronto, they'd go up north. At least Paps would since it is just one year (maybe two). Cole's got three years so I could see him blocking a deal.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Problem with Cole is I think there was already reports that said he would block a deal there regardless.

I think Papelbon would go there though. They aren't terrible and are still in the mix, plus they don't have a bonafide closer...that's the other issue. This idiot Papelbon wants to go to a contender but only wants to close. There aren't too many contenders that need closers since, well, they probably all have them lol

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Haven't followed the Phillies since they were good, admittedly. I'm interested again. Who's good in the pipeline? Who has trade value?

The phils top 3 prospects going to this season have all been impressive. So it's looking very good for Crawford SS, Nola RHP, Franco 3B. After that Eflin RHP, Quinn CF, Tocci CF, Altherr CF, Knapp C, Kilome RHP, Pinto RHP, Perkins RF, Pujols OF, Ogando RP, Hoskins 1B, Encarnacion 1B, Canelo SS, Ramos RP, DeNato RP, Hockenberry RP, Cord Sandberg OF, Rivero RP, Araujo RP, Elniery Garcia RHP, Astudillo 1B/DH, Dugan OF, Arauz SS, Ranger Suarez LHP, Jesen Dygestile-Therrien RP, Alexis Rivero RP, Lino C, Stassi 1B, Numata C, Mora 2B, Harold Martinez 3B, Brandon Leibrandt LHP, Yacksel Rios RP, Ulises Joaquin RP

All of them are having good seasons. Might have missed a few.

Then you look at the new draft picks and while it's still very early several are looking good so far. Randolph OF, Kyle Martin 1B, Kingery 2B, Lucas Williams SS, Tyler Gilbert LHP, Joshua Tobias 2B, Zack Coppola CF, Austin Bossart C, Sutter McLoughlin RP, Anthony Sequeira RP, Horace Stubblefield RP, all are off to good starts so far.

Should we bring up Jesse biddle at this point and let him get some big league Exp, we have nothing to loose by letting as many prospects we have get big league exp.

I would wait and see how his starts go from now till Sept, if he keeps improving then give him a call up. I've seen all of his AAA starts and he's still running too many full counts, needs better FB command.

Prospects are such a crapshoot in baseball so it's tough to really give you an honest answer there.

I do think guys like Galvis, Herrera, & Rupp could serve a purpose going forward. They won't be world beaters but they could provide solid depth.

agreed, prospects in baseball just seem like such a crapshoot compared to other sports. Especially when you factor in injuries for pitchers which can kill a career. I don't know what the future holds for guys like Galvis, Herrera and Rupp, but they look like they should at least be decent backups. Galvis at 2B if he can keep up the hitting, Herrera I still think they should have left him at 2B but he's been impressive when you consider he never hit above AA before this year. Rupp seems decent and has some pop.

Kilome has ace potential. Not sure if the Phillies have any pitchers close to him in their system.

yea no one in the phils system has Kilome's upside, although since he's only in rookie ball we'll see how much he can progress over the next few years.

I agree.

Quinn - CF
Crawford - SS
Franco - 3B
Mazara - RF
Alfaro - C
Free Agent? - 1B
Hernandez - 2B
Asche - LF

Assuming all of those guys pan out, that could the line up in a couple of years. I don't know if Hernandez and Asche are in the long term plans...but for now that wouldnt be too bad

Well Hernandez I could see more as a bench guy, Asche as well. 1B has some interesting guys if any can step up. Stassi (AA), Hoskins (A+), Encarnacion (GCL), Martin (A-), Brendon Hayden (Rookie). There's Zach Green who's been out much of the year and Tommy Joseph if he shows he can hit and stay healthy plus they just signed a kid for 4M who is likely a 1B in the future but he's only 16 and I hear he's not coming over next year.

Kingery shouldn't be overlooked either, our 2B drafted this year. After a slow start in Lakewood, he's been red hot over the last month. College guy, could be up in a year or two.

Have seen him a couple times, he's a little smaller then I was expecting but he had a good weekend so will be interesting to see what he does next year. Kyle Martin the 4th round pick though was very impressive so we'll see how he does next year.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Bolded is a possibility. On paper that is a pretty solid lineup if the guys all continue to improve the way we want. Not very likely though in my opinion. Baseball is so sketchy with prospects. Even if they got Mazara and Alfaro, I wouldn't be surprised if neither every became anything more than average players. Just how it goes.

Yeah that is the problem...but that is why I would want both. If one of them reached their potential, it still would be a good deal.

I am also curious to see how aggressive they will be spending wise. If Hamels, Pap, Utley, and Lee are all gone after this year...that is a A LOT of pay roll that just opened up. I wonder if they would go after an Upton/Heyward or even a Price in FA. If they throw enough money out there...they probably could still attract players.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

That is not a good enough return. The best player coming back should not be a catching prospect (a hurt one at that). Texas wont give up Gallo or Mazara? Then they shouldnt get Hamels.

Hopefully they are just using the Rangers to get other teams to give up more. It is so ridiculous how hesitant these GMs are to give up prospects. Like I said earlier...if you wanna be stubborn with your main guy then fine...but you should then be expecting to give up 2 of your next top ones. Cole is one of the best pitchers in the game...you have to give to get.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I would not do a deal just to do a deal. As much as I'd like to see hamels be traded I wouldn't for that deal. I rather keep hamels for remainder of year. He will still have value.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'm not all that experienced with Baseball prospects but I find it weird on one hand the bust rate for prospects is high but OTOH nobody wants to give up one of their studs. Hamels is a great, proven pitcher and should have a good year or two left in him, you have to give up something valuable IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad