OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 1st pick secured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You really limit your return if you wait until after the deadline. When you put a guy through waivers you only negotiate with one team.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You really limit your return if you wait until after the deadline. When you put a guy through waivers you only negotiate with one team.

Unless he clears, if he clears, everybody can bid again, if Hamels was owed 100MM, he'd clear easily, but he's not and he's kind of "cheaper" than other options. Rich teams would just claim him.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
Price on the market now puts Amaro is another compromising position

Teams have other legitimate options now which likely means the buying cost on Hamels may go down

This is why you cannot have an impotent GM running the show behind a FO that is in complete flux. They should have aggresively pushed to get a deal done IMMEDIATELY after Saturday. I understand there are major implications on a deal like this such as money and prospects but regardless, they had now over a year to sort through what a freamework of a deal would look like with Texas, LA, etc ...

The whole "all offers by WED" BS meant that another team like Detroit could bail out of the race and put their ace on the market.

It is infuriating how this team is run. After Sat I told myself that they could not possibly butcher a deal for Hamels. It was pratically a slam dunk. Here we are 4-5 days later and why do I get that sinking feeling they are about to butcher it by either selling low or keeping him for another season?

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
Hamels could still be in play for LA, I mean are they really comfortable with Latos?

I live in LA and their GM has made a point on numerous occasions that they are not willing to sell off their top farm guys.

I personally don't get it b/c that team is built to win now and outside of Greinke and Kershaw they have nothing that can get them thru a 7 game series. And we all know how Kershaw fares come playoff time. So to me it is kind of a no-brainer trading a 19 year old kid for a proven playoff MVP who has won multiple WS games in the past.

I do think they believe they can get a deal done for Price without giving up their top guys.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hitting up an Ironpigs game tonight up in Allentown, haven't really watched a lick of baseball this year. Anyone worth paying attention to down in AAA???

Aaron Altherr (CF), is likely the top prospect for LV currently. He's been really good since his call up from Reading. Would expect him to get called up in Sept.

Gabriel Lino (C), I assume will be behind the plate since Kratz caught Biddle last night. Lino is having a big year although he's dropped off after a hot start when he first got called up from Reading.

KC Serna (SS/2B) some consider him a prospect, he's been ok at Reading and can play a few positions.

Out of the pen, Seth Rosin, Nefi Ogando both could be guys that get a look in Sept. Ogando has been really good since his call up from Reading and he throws hard. There's also Adam Loewen who isn't a prospect but has been on a roll ever since they sent him down to Reading, he could get a look at some point since you might as well see what he can do since he was highly touted before the injuries but control problems have plagued him until his most recent recall from Reading.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Unless he clears, if he clears, everybody can bid again, if Hamels was owed 100MM, he'd clear easily, but he's not and he's kind of "cheaper" than other options. Rich teams would just claim him.
Yes. I'm just being captain obvious in assuming he'll be claimed if he's put on waivers.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
This is how things are looking right now according to MLBTR:

Hamels to Rangers

Cashner and Ross to Astros

Price to Giants or Jays

Course everything could change drastically.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Whoa, Alex Wood could head to LA. Hope the Phils can work something out with Texas...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Was just thinking the same thing. Why the **** would he not hit his cut-off there?

I maintain that I don't think the guy gives a **** about his baseball career anymore & is just collecting his remaining money. I don't envision him being a guy who sticks around much longer in the MLB once it becomes apparent that he isn't cut out for it. I don't think he has the makeup of a guy who would tough it out while trying to make adjustments to get back to something that would be in the ballpark of a respectable ball player.

I know the team will still be bad next year but I seriously hope I don't have to watch him in a Phillies uniform next year. It's like adding insult to an injury.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Saw on twitter: What if Phillies tell Hamels 3 PM Friday "you either go to a contender (HOU) or you stay here" From what I've heard, Houston has put together the best offer

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Wheeler involved in a trade for Carlos Gomez.

As is Flores. Guess they'll roll with Tejada at SS for the remainder of the season. Maybe they see Cecchini as the SS of the future.

Rosenthal speculates that Wood could get flipped from LA to PHI in a Hamels deal. Wonder what could be added to Wood?

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Kinda nervous lol.

This absolutely cannot be another Cliff Lee to the Mariners type return...they need some A+ prospects and at least a guy that can play now to make sure if the prospects don't turn out good they at least get something of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad