OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 1st pick secured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Lol at everyone cheering Paps getting traded. He was great at what he did. Most saves in franchise history. Aww boo-hoo you didn't like him speaking his mind. Everything he said was always pretty much correct

Couldn't agree more. He was a pompous ass, but a necessary one at times.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't have anything against Papelbon. He mostly said stuff that all the fans were harping on anyway. I'm glad he put additional heat on this franchise to change their ways.

I'm happy with this move though. We clear his potential $15M & likely Utley's for next year which will give a new GM more flexibility this upcoming winter.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lol at everyone cheering Paps getting traded. He was great at what he did. Most saves in franchise history. Aww boo-hoo you didn't like him speaking his mind. Everything he said was always pretty much correct

I don't see what's wrong with cheering that he's gone. Even if he was the greatest closer in history, it's like having a screen door on a submarine when you are the worst team in baseball and have the most expensive closer in MLB history. Add to that you might not want him spending any more time around your future closer (Giles) since he's already had one issue with showing up the pitching coach and manager.

Right now I would cheer if they announced they traded the bat boy and got something of value for him. Anyone on the 23 man roster not named Franco and Nola, if it can get us something for the future then I am all for it.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Phils scouted the Astros AA team last night. Don't see why they'd bother if Hamels weren't a bit interested in heading to Houston.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Phils scouted the Astros AA team last night. Don't see why they'd bother if Hamels weren't a bit interested in heading to Houston.

Due diligence.

I can see why Hamels wouldn't, but they are an up and coming team, similar to Rays. A pitcher like him can throw them over the top, if they make the playoffs, he'd put them in a position to win every game he pitches. Very few pitchers are like that.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Yeah I really think that he's not blocking a trade. If push comes to shove he's going where the offers are. That being said, if there's a deal from the Dodgers and a deal from the Stros, he can say **** the Stros I'm going to LA.

I would be psyched to go to Houston though if I were him. So much potential and that stadium seems like such a cool place. It is on my list of stadiums I want to visit, along with Wrigley, Fenway, and PacBell park.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah I really think that he's not blocking a trade. If push comes to shove he's going where the offers are. That being said, if there's a deal from the Dodgers and a deal from the Stros, he can say **** the Stros I'm going to LA.

I would be psyched to go to Houston though if I were him. So much potential and that stadium seems like such a cool place. It is on my list of stadiums I want to visit, along with Wrigley, Fenway, and PacBell park.

I'm like 50/50 on if he would accept to go there.

Anybody get an idea of what type of talent they have? I know they have a bunch, but I think some of its already on their roster.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago
#SFGiants fading in Hamels derby. Have not been in touch with #Phillies in last 24 hours, according to a source.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
If they trade Hamels...I could see them picking up Blanton. He was just DFA by the Royals.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
What would it take to get Cole Hamels? - In$ider

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=11235
Jim Bowden, ESPN Insider

So if the return for two to three months of Cueto is three good future major leaguers, then what is Hamels worth? I'll give it my best guess, linking five potential suitors to him:

1. Chicago Cubs
Hamels for ... LF Billy McKinney, RHP C.J. Edwards, CF Albert Almora

2. Los Angeles Dodgers
Hamels for ... RHPs Grant Holmes, Jose De Leon and Zach Lee

3. Texas Rangers
Hamels for ... RHP Chi Chi Gonzalez (or RHP Jake Thompson), OF Nomar Mazara (or OF Nick Williams) and C Jorge Alfaro

4. Boston Red Sox
Hamels for ... CF Manuel Margot, 3B Rafael Devers and LHP Brian Johnson

5. San Francisco Giants
Hamels for ... RHP Tyler Beede, RHP Kyle Crick and C Andrew Susac

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I'd go with the Rangers on this one but really it is a crapshoot. I am starting to more and more think that he'll be kept and maybe a waiver deal gets done. Otherwise I think we go through this again next offseason and next season.

I saw Jason Stark say it was about 75-25 in his mind that a deal happens. I think it's probably worse than that. Teams just don't go for it like they used to.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
If they trade Hamels...I could see them picking up Blanton. He was just DFA by the Royals.

I watched him pitch in a game for the Royals a week ago. He came in relief for an injury, but I wasn't aware at the time. He went a few innings and didn't give up any runs IIRC. Who relieved Blanton? Ryan Madson.

It was deja vu all over again.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'd go with the Rangers on this one but really it is a crapshoot. I am starting to more and more think that he'll be kept and maybe a waiver deal gets done. Otherwise I think we go through this again next offseason and next season.

I don't' think he gets through waivers, his price tag isn't all that high. Dodgers would just claim him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad