OT: Philadelphia Eagles: Now, Here's A Team Who Just Won The Super Bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Normally I would agree with you - if it was wrong for Tim Thomas to not want to visit Obama, then it's wrong for the Eagles not to want to visit Trump. However, the difference is that Trump has publicly attacked the NFL and it's players and has injected politics into the whole thing. Once that happens, then all normality regarding this is gone.
No, I don't think it is wrong at all. I have absolutely no problem with them (or anyone) not going for any reason. I just think if I were in that position even if I was an Anthem kneeler or whatever the case is, I would still go just for the experience. If Trump wanted to do something smart he could have said, "Hey, maybe we can use this opportunity to talk" and had a conversation with the players about the injustice that exists and about ways to effectuate change. Instead, Trump acted like a crybaby and made a fool of himself to the whole country...except his base who for some reasons sees this as a positive.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There is very clearly one that is wrong, and only one. The one infringing on freedom.

You have your free speech protected from the government infringing upon it, that's it.

Their employer (the NFL) can tell the players they cannot protest while on the job. The players can choose to not work for said employer if they feel their rights are being violated.

Do not take my post as saying what the players are protesting is crap. I believe a lot of them are doing great things.

The NFL, as always, finds a way to make things a mess.

Reactions: Jray42

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
You have your free speech protected from the government infringing upon it, that's it.

Their employer (the NFL) can tell the players they cannot protest while on the job. The players can choose to not work for said employer if they feel their rights are being violated.

Do not take my post as saying what the players are protesting is crap. I believe a lot of them are doing great things.

That is fair, and true. I guess I am more aiming my comment at the Cult of Trump trying to force people into Nationalism. And anything less than their version is "unpatriotic".

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I agree with your points, but there's one more important part of the story. This would have been a minor controversy if Trump hadn't inserted himself into the situation, calling players S.O.B.s and saying they should be fired and maybe kicked out of the country. The president of the USA has no business saying such things. He can offer his opinion, he can say he disagrees, but to attack the players the way he has is way out of line.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I agree with your points, but there's one more important part of the story. This would have been a minor controversy if Trump hadn't inserted himself into the situation, calling players S.O.B.s and saying they should be fired and maybe kicked out of the country. The president of the USA has no business saying such things. He can offer his opinion, he can say he disagrees, but to attack the players the way he has is way out of line.

My response there was more towards the "Whole Anthem thing," but yes I agree the President should have stayed out of it all.

But I did also post earlier in the thread that I believe both sides are wrong here with regards to the event today. The President should be, well, more Presidential and put differences aside smile for a few photos to celebrate the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. The Eagles also should have done that same. Would Donald Trump listen to anything that Malcolm Jenkins or Chris Long had to say? Probably (you could say certainly) not but they would have the opportunity to meet with the highest office in the land to speak about potential issues that they hold dear. People around this country need to stop being so divided and have actual dialogue with people with different opinions and views than their own instead of just saying "I don't agree with him, i'm not going," or "they don't agree with me, they're not invited."

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

That is not entirely accurate. There is a collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the Player's Union. If the terms of employment are changed (i.e., you will be fined/suspended/whatever if you do X, Y, or Z) it has to be agreed to by both sides. The question will be is there something in the CBA that already allows for this type of penalty. I am not an expert on the NFL CBA, so I'm sure there is some sort of "conduct detrimental to the league" clause or something like that, but then the question is whether or not this would fall in to that since players have been protesting for what seems like years now (not just this one but other ones as well). I would expect someone to get fined and appeal this, which would likely go to court somewhere and not the Goodell arbitration.

Reactions: JackStraw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
My response there was more towards the "Whole Anthem thing," but yes I agree the President should have stayed out of it all.

But I did also post earlier in the thread that I believe both sides are wrong here with regards to the event today. The President should be, well, more Presidential and put differences aside smile for a few photos to celebrate the Eagles winning the Super Bowl. The Eagles also should have done that same. Would Donald Trump listen to anything that Malcolm Jenkins or Chris Long had to say? Probably (you could say certainly) not but they would have the opportunity to meet with the highest office in the land to speak about potential issues that they hold dear. People around this country need to stop being so divided and have actual dialogue with people with different opinions and views than their own instead of just saying "I don't agree with him, i'm not going," or "they don't agree with me, they're not invited."

Completely agree. Unfortunately I don't think this president is really interested in any of that.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Completely agree. Unfortunately I don't think this president is really interested in any of that.
agree also with both of youse but yeah, he ran on a platform of hate, cruelty, envy and divisiveness so this is exactly white Christian America wanted.

done on this topic also, very proud to be an Eagles fan today considering statements like those from Jenkins above

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There was an article in Philly.com by Dave (Dan?) Sielski I believe that talked about a big chunk of the crowd was in suits and from DC, i.e. not Eagles fans, and another article I saw was asking people who the QB was for the Eagles and no one knew. Seems about par for the course for the Dingus in Chief.

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That being said I'm going to DC for the first time on Friday for a wedding and I hope to see a Cup parade (may be the only one I see in my lifetime) and the POTUS (as much as I can't stand him).

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Ok, so a few days ago I said I couldn't defend him for that, but after learning more about it I'm more on the fence.

Fox news is the definition of propaganda, and the sad thing is they constantly say they are the only place to get fair and balanced news. I also find it super ironic that a channel full of devout christians would use someone praying to twist the narrative and spread lies. Just downright shameful.

Yeah, it is definitely very biased, but it's no more biased then MSNBC and arguably CNN. Not directing this at you, but I find it amazing how some people can bash Fox (and rightfully so), then actively watch the other two channels and think there's nothing wrong with them. The level of confirmation bias with so many Americans is comical.

Edit: Just learning the Ertz thing. That's pathetic.

Normally I would agree with you - if it was wrong for Tim Thomas to not want to visit Obama, then it's wrong for the Eagles not to want to visit Trump. However, the difference is that Trump has publicly attacked the NFL and it's players and has injected politics into the whole thing. Once that happens, then all normality regarding this is gone.

Yeah, I hated Obama strictly as the President, but I would have personally attended when he was in office out of respect for the office. Others are free to decide to not go as they see fit, IMO.
There is very clearly one that is wrong, and only one. The one infringing on freedom.

So none of them then?

Say it louder for the people in the back

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
B74E1E7E-0A8D-4074-B75B-85F3970E2AB9.jpeg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Carson Wentz will do more good for the world than Donald Trump. That much is certain.

lebron james too. i was just reading about his "I promise" program and its the most ambitious charity from one individual targeting a specific community i've ever seen. Lebron James is truly a special person on and off the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad