OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Will Select Sixth Overall In Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Do you consider the Cowboys to be a laughing stock? Because bringing up the past doesn’t matter. We’re in the here and now.
Hollywood, this team is not in a good position true. But remember in December of 2015 when Chip was (rightfully) let go they were too. They were a dysfunctional franchise at that point and none of us thought they would be any good in the near future. Then they hired Doug who we saw implode in New England and that didn't help. A little over two years later, they won the Super Bowl. No one saw that coming Made the playoffs the next two years. For as bad as it looks, the point is that things can change so quickly in the nfl.

Reactions: Jtown

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Nate's performance:

tenor.gif

“he was unstoppable”

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hollywood, this team is not in a good position true. But remember in December of 2015 when Chip was (rightfully) let go they were too. They were a dysfunctional franchise at that point and none of us thought they would be any good in the near future. Then they hired Doug who we saw implode in New England and that didn't help. A little over two years later, they won the Super Bowl. No one saw that coming Made the playoffs the next two years. For as bad as it looks, the point is that things can change so quickly in the nfl.
They're not a laughing stock because they're a bad football team. The organization is a laughing stock because the owner has let this guy have his ear and is beyond reproach. We've seen this song and dance with Howie multiple times now and it's been the same story.

Hell you now have it reported that the owner is in the draft room demanding that they take players. We mock the Cowboys for this with Jerry and Stephen Jones and now we're supposed to turn a blind eye? We have our own version of that with Lurie and his adopted son, Roseman.

Lurie loves to preach about accountability but until he holds Roseman to that same standard this franchise will continue to be a laughing stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Eagles owner Jeff Lurie made it clear that he expected Staley to be a candidate for the vacant head coaching job.
“I would expect Duce Staley to be a candidate,” Lurie said. “He’s a great representative of the Eagles, knows our values. I would expect him to be a part of the search as well.”

The Duce is Looseeeee (I hope someday)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They're not a laughing stock because they're a bad football team. The organization is a laughing stock because the owner has let this guy have his ear and is beyond reproach. We've seen this song and dance with Howie multiple times now and it's been the same story.

Hell you now have it reported that the owner is in the draft room demanding that they take players. We mock the Cowboys for this with Jerry and Stephen Jones and now we're supposed to turn a blind eye? We have our own version of that with Lurie and his adopted son, Roseman.

Until Lurie washes his hands of Roseman this franchise will continue to be a laughing stock.
I get your gist, than this is more of a Lurie issue than Howie. Which makes it even worse. If he ever gets rid of Howie, the problems will still exist if he is telling who they should draft.

I dont get the sentiment though nationally that this team is a joke. As there are many more teams that one points at and makes fun of whether on the field/off the field. Their performance this year on the field was a joke though.

Ultimately, 2021 will come down to the quarterback (which) it normally does in the NFL. This next hire should be about maximizing that position. That being written, I really like Saleh. I doubt they hire him though. Not sure i want to go the college route again with Riley. Bieniemy would be great I think. No thanks to Kafka or Caldwell.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I get your gist, than this is more of a Lurie issue than Howie. Which makes it even worse. If he ever gets rid of Howie, the problems will still exist if he is telling who they should draft.

I dont get the sentiment though nationally that this team is a joke. As there are many more teams that one points at and makes fun of whether on the field/off the field. Their performance this year on the field was a joke though.

I don't think we're considered a joke nationally at all, either. We're the "Joke of the Week" right now maybe, but next week there'll be someone new. We still have respect nationally whereas the Jets, for example, are in the permanent basement.

We've won too much lately to be considered a joke franchise. Salary cap issues can be fixed somewhat quickly (one of the only things Lurie said yesterday that was accurate) within a year, so that part isn't a big deal.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I don't think we're considered a joke nationally at all, either. We're the "Joke of the Week" right now maybe, but next week there'll be someone new. We still have respect nationally whereas the Jets, for example, are in the permanent basement.

We've won too much lately to be considered a joke franchise. Salary cap issues can be fixed somewhat quickly (one of the only things Lurie said yesterday that was accurate) within a year, so that part isn't a big deal.
I totally agree. Next season should be rough. Like this year between 3 to 6 wins. But after that, who knows. Depending on if Carson returns and gets back to at least a competent quarterback or if Jalen develops into more than just a good backup. Im excited for this coaching hire though.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Ultimately, 2021 will come down to the quarterback (which) it normally does in the NFL. This next hire should be about maximizing that position. That being written, I really like Saleh. I doubt they hire him though. Not sure i want to go the college route again with Riley. Bieniemy would be great I think. No thanks to Kafka or Caldwell.

People in the NFL circles have said for years that Howie is a weasel and people don't want to work with him though going back to BEFORE Chip was hired. This whole situation just reenforces it. So is anyone worth a damn going to want to come and fill this seat knowing that they have those two meddling buffoons hanging over their head? That's clearly what happened with Doug.

Again, I have no issue with the team being bad. That isn't where my issues lie with them being a joke.

Reactions: Philly Phish

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The Howie/Lurie pairing will be nationally ridiculed soon enough. Howie keeps surviving coaching changes and Lurie wasn't shy about telling the world how involved he wants to be with personnel decisions. The playoffs are going on right now so it's on the backburner, but the offseason will be rough on the Eagles once the talking heads have nothing to talk about.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Howie/Lurie pairing will be nationally ridiculed soon enough. Howie keeps surviving coaching changes and Lurie wasn't shy about telling the world how involved he wants to be with personnel decisions. The playoffs are going on right now so it's on the backburner, but the offseason will be rough on the Eagles once the talking heads have nothing to talk about.

Nah. Nationally they won't really care that much about Howie and Lurie. In Philly however, we're going to kill them :popcorn:

Last night, I heard my first "Jeffrey Lurie should called JERRY Lurie because he's just a poor man's Jerry Jones with all this meddling he's doing in the team" and I suspect it won't be the last.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Do you consider the Cowboys to be a laughing stock? Because bringing up the past doesn’t matter. We’re in the here and now.

No i do not. The here and now is something i am looking forward to. Having a competent front office is so gratifying , The days of drafting Jon Harris and mel kiper being unprepared because he thought he wasn't getting drafted until the 2nd day are over.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Good, I like him. Suprised they would hire a defensive coach. I think he will get the Detroit job if he wants it.

i would rather see them get a coach like a special teams coach that focuses on the players and have an experienced dc and oc calling the plays. i think it's becoming a problem with the eagles that head coach always wants to do things his way and more control when it comes to playcalling and not focusing on the players when it comes to conditioning and developing good relationships with the players.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
we are in the golden age of Eagles Football.
in the past 20 years we have won the nfc east 9 times, 13 playoff appearances, 6 conference finals, 2 sb appearances, and 1 superbowl win.

teams would kill to be much of a laughing stock.

The Golden Era involves a Super Bowl Win + a playoff win against a horrendous Bears team on a double doink missed Field Goal in the last 12 years. Gold standard, baby! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad