OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Have A Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yup. Only thing that could stop him was a cheap shot by a Bulldog. ;)

It's way too early but I think I'm...

Wilson, Fields
Chase, Pitts
Smith, Waddle

With trade down somewhere after the QBs. I just can't see liking the pick if it's anything else.

Yeah, I’m just at rough categories at this point:

Happy at 6: Wilson, Fields
Fine but prefer to move down: Chase, Pitts
Happy after a move down: Waddle, Smith, Farley, Surtain, and whatever EDGEs I end up liking
No due to roster construction: Sewell, Slater
No due to positional value and experience: Parsons
Shoulder shrug emoji: Lance

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sold on Wilson or Fields, especially Fields. Just don't trust college QBs coming out of college systems - it really comes down to Sirianni and Johnson interviewing these guys and seeing if they're smart enough to handle pro concepts, then studying film and see if you can actually see them go through progressions under pressure (any QB can make throws with a clean pocket and 5 seconds for his receivers to get open).

I'd take Pitts over Chase, you can always find good WRs, top H-backs are rare, you can find guys like Ertz (4.68, great route runner, good but not great hands) in the 2nd rd or later, but 6'4 240 who can snatch and run routes like a WR? Really rare. My one question is can he block - not like a TE but like a good H-back, taking out LBs in the run game (which means they'll never want a SS over him if you run the ball).

Pitts is a matchup nightmare in a 2 TE formation, put a LB on him and I audible to a pass, but a safety or CB over him? Pancake time.
Yes, it's a passing league, but you still run 40-45% of the time, and when you have guys who block on the second level, Sanders and Scott become big play threats, the OL gets you the first five yards at the LOS, but it's the second level blocks that lead to big running plays.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Is Waddle a high first rounder if Tyreke Hill doesn't exist?

Hill wasn't an ordinary speed guy, he has the 3rd fastest US HS 200m time. His long speed is probably the best in NFL history.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Which QB had the best career and why?

1. Dan Marino
2. Jim Kelly
3. Fran Tarkenton
4. Dan Fouts
5. Slingin Sammy Baugh
6. Sid Luckman
7. Warren Moon
8. Randall Cunningham
9. Steve McNair
10. Edited: Otto Graham
I forgot Graham. The West Coast Offense has inflated passing stats so much I may take a pre-Montana QB from in and out of this list.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm not sold on Wilson or Fields, especially Fields. Just don't trust college QBs coming out of college systems - it really comes down to Sirianni and Johnson interviewing these guys and seeing if they're smart enough to handle pro concepts, then studying film and see if you can actually see them go through progressions under pressure (any QB can make throws with a clean pocket and 5 seconds for his receivers to get open).

If you don't like a player that's fine, but I keep seeing college vs pro systems tossed out there as if this means what it did 10 years ago. What specifically in Ohio St and BYU's scheme bothers you?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Also, taking away position titles, he’s right up there as the best weapon in the draft IMO.

Exactly. I'm very against going TE in Round 1 in general. We're just at the point where I can't say he wouldn't be the best WR in this class. At the very least, he'd be WR2 behind Chase.

Schematically, having a TE who can uncover 1v1 with an NFL Corner is a chasm of difference from your average Round 1 TE. That's what makes Kelce special.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Exactly. I'm very against going TE in Round 1 in general. We're just at the point where I can't say he wouldn't be the best WR in this class. At the very least, he'd be WR2 behind Chase.

Schematically, having a TE who can uncover 1v1 with an NFL Corner is a chasm of difference from your average Round 1 TE. That's what makes Kelce special.

It's interesting to see Chase sort of distance himself a bit from Smith in particular as the offseason progresses (because I've seen others thinking exactly the same as you). It feels like the excitement of Smith's season is the kind of "noise" and as that fades, analysis takes over. It's like a case study for the evaluation process, maybe. Similarly seeing Pitts clear himself from the "noise" of Florida's team season. I have to say, I hate the word "noise" in the context of math, but I am playing along.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's interesting to see Chase sort of distance himself a bit from Smith in particular as the offseason progresses (because I've seen others thinking exactly the same as you). It feels like the excitement of Smith's season is the kind of "noise" and as that fades, analysis takes over. It's like a case study for the evaluation process, maybe. Similarly seeing Pitts clear himself from the "noise" of Florida's team season. I have to say, I hate the word "noise" in the context of math, but I am playing along.

Well I'm probably coming at it from a different angle because I was saying Smith was the best Bama WR of the whole bunch last year let alone this season. Even accounting for that, I think it's nuts to move him ahead of Chase.

I know Chase opted out, but I really don't understand how some people are forgetting that he was completely unstoppable to all levels of the field last year. People are going to pick apart his long speed because I don't expect him to run that well, but Chase had just as good of a season as Smith's 2020 at NINETEEN against really good competition like Diggs and A.J. Terrell. DeVonta is 22 and 25 lbs lighter. I don't get it at all.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Captain Dave Poulin While we're at it, how do you make a serious evaluation of an electric WR who was asked to do this?

EuWiYWpXUAMY0Qs

That's Rondale Moore. I think he's got a shot to be a jackpot type pick, but there's nothing here. Going to Purdue didn't even give him a shot at being in the top 10.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin While we're at it, how do you make a serious evaluation of an electric WR who was asked to do this?

EuWiYWpXUAMY0Qs

That's Rondale Moore. I think he's got a shot to be a jackpot type pick, but there's nothing here. Going to Perdue didn't even give him a shot at being in the top 10.

That school is a shithole. Also, that graph makes me motion sick.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

EuWiYWpXUAMY0Qs

That's Rondale Moore. I think he's got a shot to be a jackpot type pick, but there's nothing here. Going to Purdue didn't even give him a shot at being in the top 10.
Only three games but according to my spreadsheet he had the most catches per game and the lowest average per catch. Quite the combo. Used him like a RB.

This class is loaded again at receiver.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If I was bad enough to have a high draft pick I'd take positions that have a better chance of being successful as a rookie. You only have them for 4 years. What position would I not take: JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Rick Mirer, Andre Ware, Akili Smith, David Klinger, Todd Marinovich, David Carr, Jack Thompson, Heath Schuler, Todd Blackledge, and Jim Druckenmiller. There are other ways to get a QB.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Lawrence is at the head of the class because of his physical and intellectual skills. These have allowed him to win championships. The rest of the top QB prospects make me wonder if the fact that "so and so team needs a QB" isn't what is elevating their status?BYU and tOSU played exactly who this season when Wilson or Fields won the game for them with clutch play? Is ND ST really a QB factory-who did they play that was good? Like the Bears did with Trubisky, are teams banging square pegs into round holes with their desire to get a "franchise quarterback". Just a feeling that I have but some teams are going to get burned drafting QBs this year.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lawrence played in a one team ACC and we are talking about Fields' level of competition? Fields and Lawrence went head-to-head this year and Fields put up a 6 spot in a rout. It's kind of funny that he and Fields were always considered 1A and 1B going all the way back to high school. Fields puts up better numbers in a better conference(s) and somehow he's QB4 to some now with Lawrence getting the "Generational" label. If you are someone that covets players with established track records and want to overlook the talent of Wilson, I get it, but Fields is as accomplished as they come.

I acknowledge Lawrence is a cut or two above Fields in arm talent which probably is all that ultimately matters, but at what point do you start to ask yourself why that difference didn't translate into numbers?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Lawrence played in a one team ACC and we are talking about Fields' level of competition? Fields and Lawrence went head-to-head this year and Fields put up a 6 spot in a rout. It's kind of funny that he and Fields were always considered 1A and 1B going all the way back to high school. Fields puts up better numbers in a better conference(s) and somehow he's QB4 to some now with Lawrence getting the "Generational" label. If you are someone that covets players with established track records and want to overlook the talent of Wilson, I get it, but Fields is as accomplished as they come.

I acknowledge Lawrence is a cut or two above Fields in arm talent which probably is all that ultimately matters, but at what point do you start to ask yourself why that difference didn't translate into numbers?

There’s no discussion to be had around Lawrence being the level of QB prospect needed for a top 10 pick. On consensus, he’s in the Luck tier. It’s an impossible bar.

Fields has issues. If you end up liking him, it’s because you think he has enough arm strength to get the ball down the field. He’s certainly got great touch on deep balls, but what gives him even more margin for error is that he was historically accurate:

To me, the most concerning bit of the various ways he’s been pulled apart is that his time to throw Under Pressure is slightly higher than when not. That’s out of the ordinary in a negative manner. But he’s not Blaine Gabbert bailing out of throws either. His overall time to throw is high, but I think what Ohio St asks its QBs to do is partially at fault for that. I’ll go into more detail later in the process on this because I think it’s an important step in evaluating him moving forward.

I know running ability gets talked about often as raising the ceiling for QBs, but even more than that, it raises the floor on a game to game basis. In many ways, I’m done with early QBs who can’t move to some degree. That’s where the NFL keeps missing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'd take Pitts over Chase, you can always find good WRs, top H-backs are rare, you can find guys like Ertz (4.68, great route runner, good but not great hands) in the 2nd rd or later, but 6'4 240 who can snatch and run routes like a WR? Really rare. My one question is can he block - not like a TE but like a good H-back, taking out LBs in the run game (which means they'll never want a SS over him if you run the ball).

Pitts is a matchup nightmare in a 2 TE formation, put a LB on him and I audible to a pass, but a safety or CB over him? Pancake time.
Yes, it's a passing league, but you still run 40-45% of the time, and when you have guys who block on the second level, Sanders and Scott become big play threats, the OL gets you the first five yards at the LOS, but it's the second level blocks that lead to big running plays.

In particular, do not trust OSU QBs.

Reactions: renberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad