OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Offseason Edition: Eagles Select Carson Wentz

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So given that the return on the deleted Allbright tweet (which matched the earlier rumor) was 8 for 13/Maxwell/Kiko/4th and was worded oddly, plus Kiko was supposedly a last second addition to the deal, and we now have this:

Maybe it was 8 for Maxwell + 13 and Kiko for a 4th? It seems like entirely too much. I think we all remember the ridiculous early Foles + 20 for Bradford + 10 rumors.

Proof I have no idea what I'm talking about. :laugh:

Good god, Miami is clueless.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Tremendous trade by Howie if true. But we would still be out of the range of the elite prospects: Turnstile, Ramsey, Bosa, and Jack. Maybe Jack could fall a few spots if teams overdraft Wentz and Goff.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
I have no idea what Miami is thinking if that trade is true. That would probably go down as an all time awful trade.

At 8 they would be sitting in the Hargreaves, Stanley range. Plus there is always the unlikely possibility Wentz/Goff get past Chip and the Niners

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Was howie hanging out with Hexy during the Eagles season something, off loading bad contracts and upgrading picks is hexy

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ramsey, Jack, and Elliott are the elite prospects in this draft to me. Seriously doubt any are there at 8 to even consider. Bosa is the guy I least want. Good player, but strictly a 4-3 DE and not an elite pass rusher. Not a Force player.

Hargreaves fits the m.o. and is in the right range. I really think that's the guy.

Other shoe, etc. It just seemed to defy logic.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I posted this in the Football forum section of HF, but thought I'd share this here (just in case I've missed something that you guys can point me in the direction of):

I realize that both Philly trades can't go through until tomorrow, but it's utterly bizarre to me that not a single one of the credible Insiders (Schefter/Rapoport/etc) have made it known what the returns are in both trades.

And now, there's rumors getting spread that it involves swapping 1st round picks (that I do see was debunked above), and it's setting Eagles fans up for a potential disappointment when the news is shared.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I posted this in the Football forum section of HF, but thought I'd share this here (just in case I've missed something that you guys can point me in the direction of):

I realize that both Philly trades can't go through until tomorrow, but it's utterly bizarre to me that not a single one of the credible Insiders (Schefter/Rapoport/etc) have made it known what the returns are in both trades.

And now, there's rumors getting spread that it involves swapping 1st round picks (that I do see was debunked above), and it's setting Eagles fans up for a potential disappointment when the news is shared.

Trade details over the legal tampering period have been scarce both last year and this. It is odd, but it's at least been consistent from what I remember.

The whole Foles/20 for Bradford/10 was a fake Twitter account that made it all the way to the NFL Network. It's rather sad.

What I'm seeing now is:

Barchard is not one that usually breaks stories, but he's also not a guy who makes things up for attention.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Using a 1st round pick on a RB for a team that has as many holes as they do, without a 2nd rounder (as of right now) would be a big mistake IMO.

And as far as the MIA return is concerned, I still can't believe MIA could be THAT stupid...so until the return is a definite, I'm not letting myself think we're getting 8 plus a 4th

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
Eagles are rumored to want "next to nothing" for Mathews.

I fully expect them to draft Elliott.

I think I hate these calls by Philly more then I hated any one move by Chip last offseason. Back to the same old pre Chip **** for Philly. Why get rid of Mathews? Guy was fine last year and you have a million holes already. Keep him on and don't create another hole just because Chip signed the guy. Bunch of 5 year olds running the team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You're still gonna have to address the RB position whether Mathews is here or not. He played well last year when healthy but problem is he got hurt again which has been a trend in his career.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
You're still gonna have to address the RB position whether Mathews is here or not. He played well last year when healthy but problem is he got hurt again which has been a trend in his career.

Don't need to address it this season with all the other problems going on. Address the Oline first before booting out the RB you have who can do decent enough.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Don't need to address it this season with all the other problems going on. Address the Oline first before booting out the RB you have who can do decent enough.

They have Mathews & Sproles right now, that's not going to cut it. They're assuredly going to address the RB position in some fashion this offseason.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
They have Mathews & Sproles right now, that's not going to cut it. They're assuredly going to address the RB position this offseason.

Mathews and Sproles were essentially what they used the last half of last season and it worked well enough. If they address an RB its hopefully outside the top 3 rounds. I just think they have more pressing needs.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Why would we get rid of Mathews? Our RB situation is just about perfect right now. Running back is the easiest position to fill, and it has a high turnover.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
According to Dianna Russini (ESPN) Eagles are favorite to land Chase Daniel. Most likely means Sanchez would be out... Thankfully.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I never said or implied it had to be a first round pick.

They could also look at guy like Lamar Miller in free agency. He's only 25 so he doesn't have that normal wear & tear free agent backs have.

I like Miller (was on my fantasy squad this year) but he's probably the top RB free agent so he'll want top $$ and I don't think this regime wants to do that again. Personally I'd keep Matthews and bring in one of the second tier guys because like you said, Matthews can't stay healthy. The days of needing a top RB to make deep runs into the playoffs are over now though, the RB position is devalued

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's amazing to me how it just gets written that you can find a RB anywhere. The real issue with the position is longevity -- you're talking about hoping for a quality 6 year stint.

If we take the top 10 rushing leaders from 2015, we have 6 first rounders, a third, a fourth, a sixth, and an UDFA.

Raw yards are obviously limited, so what if we want to go by Rushing DYAR with at least 100 rushes instead? Four firsts, 4 seconds, a third, and an UDFA.

What if we compare that to the top 10 Passing DYAR totals? Five 1sts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, and a 6th. Doesn't look much different, does it?

If you like Elliott best of the guys on the board, you take him unless you're not planning on competing in the next 6 years.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
It's amazing to me how it just gets written that you can find a RB anywhere. The real issue with the position is longevity -- you're talking about hoping for a quality 6 year stint.

If we take the top 10 rushing leaders from 2015, we have 6 first rounders, a third, a fourth, a sixth, and an UDFA.

Raw yards are obviously limited, so what if we want to go by Rushing DYAR with at least 100 rushes instead? Four firsts, 4 seconds, a third, and an UDFA.

What if we compare that to the top 10 Passing DYAR totals? Five 1sts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, and a 6th. Doesn't look much different, does it?

If you like Elliott best of the guys on the board, you take him unless you're not planning on competing in the next 6 years.

Tell me which of CJ Anderson/Ronnie Hillman, Jonathan Stewart, David Johnson, James White, Alfred Blue, Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard, Matt Jones, or Thomas Rawls makes you think that with as many holes as the Eagles have that they should take Elliot with their first pick?

You don't need elite RB's anymore to win SB's in this day and age. Unless you have some combination of an elite QB and/or elite defense, you don't win the SB.

Running backs by the last 11 Super Bowl winners:
2005/2006 season - Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers)

2006/2007 season - Dominic Rhodes (Indianapolis Colts)

2007/2008 season - Brandon Jacobs (New York Giants)

2008/2009 season - Willie Parker (Pittsburgh Steelers)

2009/2010 season - Pierre Thomas most yards, Mike Bell most attempts (New Orleans Saints)

2010/2011 season - Brandon Jackson/James Starks (Green Bay Packers)

2011/2012 season - Ahmad Bradshaw (New York Giants)

2012/2013 season - Ray Rice (Baltimore Ravens)

2013/2014 season - Marshawn Lynch (Seattle Seahawks)

2014/2015 season - Shane Vereen , though by committee (New England Patriots)

2015/2016 season - CJ Anderson/Ronnie Hillman (Denver Broncos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad