OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Now We Wait And See What The Future Brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Can't fault Peters too much. Dude has some serious leverage right now.

Bingo.

He's got us totally by the balls and IF you want to compete this year: just make him happy and give him a pay raise. If you don't care about competing: fine, play hardball and potentially lose him.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Bingo.

He's got us totally by the balls and IF you want to compete this year: just make him happy and give him a pay raise. If you don't care about competing: fine, play hardball and potentially lose him.

Lose him? Where exactly are we going to lose him to? I hope you mean lose him that he won't play LT but still play RG.

Have fun walking into that locker room with your teammates once again knowing that he only cares about himself.

They've coddled this guy for entirely too long. It's time to put the foot down.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Lose him? Where exactly are we going to lose him to? I hope you mean lose him that he won't play LT but still play RG.

Have fun walking into that locker room with your teammates once again knowing that he only cares about himself.

They've coddled this guy for entirely too long. It's time to put the foot down.

Lose him to anywhere but here. There's this idea that he won't get picked up by someone if he's cut - and that's just insanity.

I guess Peters would be the first player to re-negotiate a contract and return to a team, huh.

So you want the team to be worse this year at the risk of...I'm not sure what? Pride? Principle?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lose him to anywhere but here. There's this idea that he won't get picked up by someone if he's cut - and that's just insanity.

I guess Peters would be the first player to re-negotiate a contract and return to a team, huh.

So you want the team to be worse this year at the risk of...I'm not sure what? Pride? Principle?

Yes, actually that is exactly what I want. This guy isn't more important than the team itself. Once again, he signed a contract a month ago and easily could have had the language to protect himself but he didn't. How many players re-negotiate contacts after a month? He made his bed now he has to lay in it.

This organization has coddled the guy for entirely too long. Yeah, yeah, everyone hates Chip Kelly but Peters openly admitted to quitting on the team because he didn't like the coach. The guy only cares about himself. This organization has been more than fair to the guy over the years and maybe he should return the favor a little.

This question is going to take the conversation into a useless area but when he offered to play guard last year was he going to take a pay cut? No. So why should he get to pick and choose when he changes positions because it benefits him?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yes, actually that is exactly what I want. This guy isn't more important than the team itself. Once again, he signed a contract a month ago and easily could have had the language to protect himself but he didn't. How many players re-negotiate contacts after a month? He made his bed now he has to lay in it.

This organization has coddled the guy for entirely too long. Yeah, yeah, everyone hates Chip Kelly but Peters openly admitted to quitting on the team because he didn't like the coach. The guy only cares about himself. This organization has been more than fair to the guy over the years and maybe he should return the favor a little.

This question is going to take the conversation into a useless area but when he offered to play guard last year was he going to take a pay cut? No. So why should he get to pick and choose when he changes positions because it benefits him?

If you want them to be a certainly worse team by cutting Peters over this, then there isn't much to debate. That's just what it ultimately comes down to. I don't agree with you for it of course, but if you're good with cutting him by not playing ball then that's-that.

I'll answer your question actually, just because I think you should hear it (and come on, I'm making a fair point):
- No, he wouldn't have taken a pay cut. Why wouldn't he? Because then, like now, he has all the leverage (he actually has way more leverage right now). The Eagles need a Jason Peters more than he needs the Eagles. He can get paid the same money to be a backup LT somewhere else that we're paying him to be a starting G right now.

It doesn't have to be a huge fight here. If you believe in the sanctity of a contract only from the player's side: fine, you'll never like Jason Peters asking for more money right now. That's all there is to it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If you want them to be a certainly worse team by cutting Peters over this, then there isn't much to debate. That's just what it ultimately comes down to. I don't agree with you for it of course, but if you're good with cutting him by not playing ball then that's-that.

I'll answer your question actually, just because I think you should hear it:
- No, he wouldn't have taken a paycut. Why wouldn't he? Because then, like now, he has all the leverage (he actually has way more leverage right now). The Eagles need a Jason Peters more than he needs the Eagles. He can get paid the same money to be a backup LT somewhere else that we're paying him to be a starting G right now.

I could be 100% wrong but does he even have as much leverage as people are letting on?

I'll preface this with I doubt the Eagles would go this direction nor am I sure if it is possible under league rules. Jason Peters' contract states that he is to play football for the Philadelphia Eagles in any capacity not just a single position. If they ask him to play LT and he refuses and/or mopes around they could likely suspend him potentially without pay. They could play hardball right back with Peters and as it was mentioned he's 38 and his window isn't exactly open to continue making money. He could make $0 or he could make his $3M that he signed up for and play LT.

Again, I could be completely wrong about that being a possibility and that's without thinking about the potential risks that come with trying something like that. I pretty much am putting it out there to ask if that would be a possiblity.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I could be 100% wrong but does he even have as much leverage as people are letting on?

I'll preface this with I doubt the Eagles would go this direction nor am I sure if it is possible under league rules. Jason Peters' contract states that he is to play football for the Philadelphia Eagles in any capacity not just a single position. If they ask him to play LT and he refuses and/or mopes around they could likely suspend him potentially without pay. They could play hardball right back with Peters and as it was mentioned he's 38 and his window isn't exactly open to continue making money. He could make $0 or he could make his $3M that he signed up for and play LT.

Again, I could be completely wrong about that being a possibility and that's without thinking about the potential risks that come with trying something like that. I pretty much am putting it out there to ask if that would be a possiblity.

IMO: He's probably our 2nd best lineman at this moment. Kelce is #1 of course. Johnson is banged up (otherwise he'd be #2). The others are hurt or worse. I think he's got all the leverage in the world.

Listen, the reason why we've gotten to a rocky point in this discussion is because there's this black/white argument being made about "he signed X contract that says he plays for the Eagles, not X position for the Eagles"...it's ignoring nuance and just flatout reality in how contracts work. Eagles fans are clamoring for the Birds to bring in a guy from the Vikings who is literally about to have his own contract torn up by ownership. We won't tear up Peters contract to have a competent LT, but we'll sign a guy who just had his torn up so we can have a competent LT? It's just a silly argument to me. Owners re-work contracts constantly yet it's like people have never heard of a player asking for different money when there's a new set of expectations thrust on them.

Do you really believe that if we cut Jason Peters, there isn't a team that will sign him to play LT (or any OL position)? I genuinely think it's insanity if anyone believes he'd be unemployed if we cut him and he still wants to play.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
There were reports that the LAC made an offer to him but he rejected it to stay in Philly. Supposedly the LAC offered more money. If he were cut/released, that offer would probably still be there.

There's no doubt in my mind he waited for the Eagles and had other offers on the table. He's better than some starting LTs in the league right now.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

This guy sounds like a realllllllllllllll butthole.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Baffles that people have such egos that thinking they know more than people who literally dedicated their lives and careers to study the field and everything that goes along with it. Cousins grew up in a wealthy neighborhood and was sheltered for his life more than likely. At least he is still wearing the mask and not being selfish.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Eg69tVrWsAIuFAN

Never knew about this. Matt Millen punched the Pats GM Pat Sullivan in the face after a playoff loss. Sullivan was apparently taunting him.

Surprisingly wasn’t that nut job Lyle Alzado. In some ways I miss the Wild West days of sports (even though I wasn’t alive, just reliving it) where things weren’t so buttoned up. Drama like this wasn’t too out of place. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad