Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Reactions: Striiker

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I’m talking about plays where there clearly isn’t any foul but they act all incredulous about not getting a flag.
Oh! I mean sure, I'd rather crack down on that than someone who accidently taps someone on the chin 55 feet away, having no bearing on the play at all

Reactions: Schwarbomb and GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The hype with Ariaza was legit, but he wasn’t even the first or second punter selected. Teams are concerned he is all leg and not a tactical punter without enough hang time. 70-yard punts aren’t as effective if they’re returned 30 yards before gunners can get there.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The hype with Ariaza was legit, but he wasn’t even the first or second punter selected. Teams are concerned he is all leg and not a tactical punter without enough hang time. 70-yard punts aren’t as effective if they’re returned 30 yards before gunners can get there.
Howie f***ed up, and it is forever going to be an enormous failure

Reactions: Striiker

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

I know this is probably pretty mouthbreather of me, but is there any legitimate reason they don't hand the ball off to Mailata at the goal line a few times per season? A rugby player who has pulled entire teams behind him? Or even as a decoy? Too much injury risk?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I know this is probably pretty mouthbreather of me, but is there any legitimate reason they don't hand the ball off to Mailata at the goal line a few times per season? A rugby player who has pulled entire teams behind him? Or even as a decoy? Too much injury risk?
I want to say that they used him lined up in the backfield once last year or maybe the year before but I could be wrong. I think the ball might never have been snapped though.

At it's base though the only time you'd be doing that type of play is in a short yardage situation and it's probably better to have your Pro Bowl caliber LT playing LT instead of being used for a gimmick.

Reactions: DancingPanther

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

You can do it. Teams have. It's just a lot easier with a DL than a starting OL. That removes the downgrade in blocking you would get from using Mailata. You also have to remember that the OL doesn't typically rotate the way the DL does. You're bringing in a largely cold backup OL in this hypothetical. And of course the injury risk, as you said.

There's also the idea of the speed at which you hit the hole mattering, which it does.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I want to say that they used him lined up in the backfield once last year or maybe the year before but I could be wrong. I think the ball might never have been snapped though.

At it's base though the only time you'd be doing that type of play is in a short yardage situation and it's probably better to have your Pro Bowl caliber LT playing LT instead of being used for a gimmick.
That's fair, plus it all but telegraphs what side of the field the play will be

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Baldinger on WIP last weekend said he thinks Davis best position would be guard where he would a multiple all pro.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can do it. Teams have. It's just a lot easier with a DL than a starting OL. That removes the downgrade in blocking you would get from using Mailata. You also have to remember that the OL doesn't typically rotate the way the DL does. You're bringing in a largely cold backup OL in this hypothetical. And of course the injury risk, as you said.

There's also the idea of the speed at which you hit the hole mattering, which it does.
There's also center of gravity, much easier for Davis to get lower than Mailata - and DT are more comfortable with bursting off the snap, OL are trained to maintain balance, not explode forward.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There's also center of gravity, much easier for Davis to get lower than Mailata - and DT are more comfortable with bursting off the snap, OL are trained to maintain balance, not explode forward.
Mailata is coming from a rugby background though. That's why he is brought up in this situation, not simply because he's big and can "run through a mother f***ers face." Shoutout Marshawn Lynch.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Mailata is coming from a rugby background though. That's why he is brought up in this situation, not simply because he's big and can "run through a mother f***ers face." Shoutout Marshawn Lynch.
Yeah, but Davis is the better athlete in terms of speed and leg explosion.
While Mailata wasn't probably as well trained as football players, he still trained for workouts:
5.12 at 346 lbs, 28" VT, 8'10 LJ, very good numbers at his weight
Davis however, is a freak:
4.78 at 341 lbs, 1.63 ten yard split, 32" VT, 10'3 LJ, that's f-ing crazy.
To put that in perspective, here are Graham's numbers at 261 lbs
4.71, 1.61, 31", 9'3

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It’s hard for a guy that tall to get the leverage to push piles. Also ball security issues.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
These are also NFL defenders. If someone comes free off the edge, they're just taking your legs out. Doesn't matter how big you are. Look at the clip of Davis above. A guy from Charleston Southern University is a quarter of a step from stopping him.

I'm worried that we're all getting carried away from clips. They're super fun and Davis is good. I don't expect him to be 1v1 with a lighter Center very often. More often than not, a rep like that ends with a Guard putting his helmet into Davis' ribs. Look how extended and exposed he is. I'll give him the credit for knowing it was 1v1, but it's an issue that will come up in games.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I will not get hyped about videos of Tua at camp.

He's a year overdue for missing a season with a major injury on a routine play

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
These are also NFL defenders. If someone comes free off the edge, they're just taking your legs out. Doesn't matter how big you are. Look at the clip of Davis above. A guy from Charleston Southern University is a quarter of a step from stopping him.

I'm worried that we're all getting carried away from clips. They're super fun and Davis is good. I don't expect him to be 1v1 with a lighter Center very often. More often than not, a rep like that ends with a Guard putting his helmet into Davis' ribs. Look how extended and exposed he is. I'll give him the credit for knowing it was 1v1, but it's an issue that will come up in games.
I think what can make Davis special is his off the wall athleticism allows a DC to move him around the line, much like Reggie in his prime.

However, this requires Davis adding to his repertoire, it's one thing to line up over a center or even a double team and rely on power and strength to bull rush, quite another to line up on the edge of an OT and beat him off the snap. He wasn't asked to do that much in college, and he could just overpower people, in the NFL he needs to add to his toolkit and be more fundamentally sound.

Poe and Barrett Brooks are good examples, both had great workouts at their size (though not as good as Davis), Poe went around where Davis (#11) did but never really developed after a good start (Pro Bowl his 2nd and 3rd seasons). Brooks was raw, but after four years developed his game, then Stoutland got hold of him and finished the job and he became an elite RG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad