OT: Philadelphia Eagles: 2017 Season (Week Six And Beyond)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm glad Doug went back to what the team does well. Their running game is one of the best in the league and there's no reason to go away from it in a close game in the first half. Hopefully he realizes that now. Have to give him credit for getting it back on track in the second half. 24 runs to 8 passes in the second half.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
What's more surprising the Eagles secondary or the Sixers 3 point shooting?
Our secondary isnt all that suprising. Safety play was ok, Jalen Mills isnt the best, but he certainly is a battler. Robinson has been decent in the league before. Darby was a really good pickup. I guess the surprise should be Douglas has played well as a rookie.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm glad Doug went back to what the team does well. Their running game is one of the best in the league and there's no reason to go away from it in a close game in the first half. Hopefully he realizes that now. Have to give him credit for getting it back on track in the second half. 24 runs to 8 passes in the second half.
Definitely credit is due. However, some of the pass calling would have been ok if the execution had been better.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Great win, and hopefully we can stay ahead of Minnesota and New Orleans (which won't be easy, given their cupcake remaining schedules).
Vikes have 3 road games @ Det, Car, and ATL that will be games. CHI for them the last game and they haven't laid down for anyone.

Saints have @ the Rams who NEED that game now badly, and then Car and 2 vs ATL.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
What a great day today turned out to be.

And i think we can stop pretending that Dak is even in the same ballpark as Carson. Maybe one day he will be, but he's far from it.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
I still laugh the Browns FO didn’t think Wentz could be a top 20 QB in this league. They didn’t just pass up on him. They called their shot while doing so. :laugh:

Wentz is a gem, but I don't think he is good enough to turn that organization around. A lot of the QBs that come through there usually look better before or after their stints in Cleveland. I think they are just an inept organization as a whole.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wentz is a gem, but I don't think he is good enough to turn that organization around. A lot of the QBs that come through there usually look better before or after their stints in Cleveland. I think they are just an inept organization as a whole.

He wouldn’t be having the same success he is here right now but they wouldn’t be 1-25 either like they have been the past two years with him at QB. The turnaround team wise would have been longer but I do think he would have been successful there in the long run.

They passed up on Watson this past draft at #12 who was having a good individual rookie season on a so-so team at best before he got hurt. He looks like another guy on his way to being a franchise caliber QB.

Of all the QB’s they drafted since they came back only Tim Couch was in the first half of the first round (#1 in 1999). Quinn was #22, Weeden #22, & Manziel #22 in the first round. Realistically I don’t think many level headed people had high expectations for the latter two despite the investment even at the time of the selections. Kizer this year basically got thrown into the fire despite being one of the more raw QB’s of that class. They had nothing & why they went with Kessler & Hogan along with Kizer I have no idea. Kizer won the job by default as the other two don’t have any hint of ability that could make them functionable to go through the season with as a starter.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Our secondary isnt all that suprising. Safety play was ok, Jalen Mills isnt the best, but he certainly is a battler. Robinson has been decent in the league before. Darby was a really good pickup. I guess the surprise should be Douglas has played well as a rookie.

Really? In what world? I know no one reasonably expected a secondary giving Mills and then due to injuries Douglas to be competing and winning matchups each and every night against some really solid pass catching units.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Really? In what world? I know no one reasonably expected a secondary giving Mills and then due to injuries Douglas to be competing and winning matchups each and every night against some really solid pass catching units.

Even if you liked these Corners going into the year, I think you have to be surprised with how well they've played as a unit. Cory Undlin is fantastic.

Meanwhile Jenkins is barreling towards being the 2nd best signing of the UFA era in franchise history and has a nonzero chance to catch Troy Vincent if he ages well.

Reactions: Lotusflower

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
as awful as the first half was, the second half was that good. once Doug stopped trying to be cute with the playcalling and went to just running it down their throat s the offense couldn t be stopped. what a performance by the defense though, they looked dominant all night. with this game out of the way, I really don't see how they finish worse than 13-3. minny and new Orleans are playing good football as well, but I think Detroit beats minny on turkey day and rams beat new Orleans which combined with us playing Chicago should give us a 2 game lead in the conference. the defense really looks to be getting better each week despite the key injury to hicks. it's great to have the division all but wrapped up in week 10.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So, you for some reason believe that the term bandwagon can be demonstrated by someone Expressing concern that they’re going to lose a game and then expressing relief that they didn’t? Because if that is the case, then you demonstrably do not understand the concept of a bandwagon.

Yup.

Okay, so here's the deal: It was actually a joke (like me calling you a classic "Philly fan" (as a derogatory term) when I in fact am a Philly fan as well), but to explain why I think it sort of works even if it wasn't: By seeing 1 bad half, you were already pretty certain the game was lost. Had little to no faith the team would get back in the game. That's bandwagon-ish type behavior. I understand the sarcasm probably didn't come through, but meh, it works.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

It has to be the most surprising secondary in the league...especially the corners. I would rated our corners in the bottom 5 in the league when the season started -- thankfully our baller D-line has helped make them look great, plus they are just flat-out making plays when they need to. Even Rasul Douglas! Dude is a pick machine.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Even if you liked these Corners going into the year, I think you have to be surprised with how well they've played as a unit. Cory Undlin is fantastic.

Meanwhile Jenkins is barreling towards being the 2nd best signing of the UFA era in franchise history and has a nonzero chance to catch Troy Vincent if he ages well.

Who's the first? Runyan?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
as awful as the first half was, the second half was that good. once Doug stopped trying to be cute with the playcalling and went to just running it down their throat s the offense couldn t be stopped. what a performance by the defense though, they looked dominant all night. with this game out of the way, I really don't see how they finish worse than 13-3. minny and new Orleans are playing good football as well, but I think Detroit beats minny on turkey day and rams beat new Orleans which combined with us playing Chicago should give us a 2 game lead in the conference. the defense really looks to be getting better each week despite the key injury to hicks. it's great to have the division all but wrapped up in week 10.

I know the run game really was a big catalyst of course (the main one), but I think a huge piece of it was that the receivers were actually catching the ball. There were a few big drops that weren't happening in the 2nd half. Also, Carson really was not in rhythm during that time. He under/overthrew a few balls he normally wouldn't. The whole offense was in a bad rut but thankfully popped right out of it!

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I know the run game really was a big catalyst of course (the main one), but I think a huge piece of it was that the receivers were actually catching the ball. There were a few big drops that weren't happening in the 2nd half. Also, Carson really was not in rhythm during that time. He under/overthrew a few balls he normally wouldn't. The whole offense was in a bad rut but thankfully popped right out of it!
I can agree with this. Jeffery making that TD catch on 4th down sealed the game. Amazing what having an elite WR that can make a play in the red zone can do for an offense. Really the only wide out that has catching problems is friggen Torrey Smith. I really wish they would just bench him for Mack Hollins. Carson plays much better when he isn't being asked to drop back on every play too. He tends to press and force things when the playcalling is pass pass pass pass like it was in the first half. I mean first drive was great 5 runs 5 passes. He wasn't being relied on to single handily drive down the field. After that drive and up until the 3rd quarter, it was pass on 1st and 2nd, get caught in a 3rd and long and then be forced to try and make a perfect play to continue the drive. I hope Doug learned last night this teams offense starts with the running game. I would love to see them open games running like they did in the second half. Ground and pound then have wentz back there to pick up the 3rd and 5s. Doug, for as bad as he was the first half, did a great job making adjustments for the second half. That is his biggest improvement over last year. I am very very impressed by his improvement in year 2. I will happily admit I was wrong about him going into the season. He still has some moments of wtf play calling but it is much less than last year and he adjusts his game plan when it isn't working. He should be NFL coach of the year barring them completely collapsing the next 6 weeks. He has done a great job opening the window of contention in the Wentz era earlier than expected.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Yup.

Okay, so here's the deal: It was actually a joke (like me calling you a classic "Philly fan" (as a derogatory term) when I in fact am a Philly fan as well), but to explain why I think it sort of works even if it wasn't: By seeing 1 bad half, you were already pretty certain the game was lost. Had little to no faith the team would get back in the game. That's bandwagon-ish type behavior. I understand the sarcasm probably didn't come through, but meh, it works.
i didn't like the way they were playing; they were making too many mistakes and the offense looked out of sync, so i expressed concern that it might be a let down game. I then expressed relief when that did not come to fruition. That's not "bandwagon-ish" behavior, that's just an expression of concern. Not being a bandwagon fan =/= being a sycophant.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I disagree
it all starts with at least half-decent QB play, which Cleveland certainly doesn't have
Wentz is an upgrade to whatever corpse they're floating out there at QB by a country mile

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Regardless of how this season plays out, we have a franchise quarterback for the next 10 years. But if they get homefield, i think they will be in Minneapolis in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad