OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Repeating yourself, using all caps, saying two words over three lines- none of those tactics make your argument any more convincing. Simmons was always the obvious choice. But if you wanna give Colonjello some credit, he rightfully didn't **** it up. So there's that.
Go back and read some articles around that time. There were enough people locally and nationally banging the drum for Ingram that it become a legitimate debate. Like I said, Simmons was the consensus number 1 pick all season long and then people started to pick apart his game and blame him for LSU's lack of success. There was also the factor that another poster brought up about some viewing Ingram as a much better fit. You can post multiple times and say cute little things like "get a new slant" all you want but it's not going to change the fact you are wrong. I wanted Simmonds all along, you might have, and a lot of others as well but it become a legitimate debate leading up to the draft on who they should take.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Go back and read some articles around that time. There were enough people locally and nationally banging the drum for Ingram that it become a legitimate debate. Like I said, Simmons was the consensus number 1 pick all season long and then people started to pick apart his game and blame him for LSU's lack of success. There was also the factor that another poster brought up about some viewing Ingram as a much better fit. You can post multiple times and say cute little things like "get a new slant" all you want but it's not going to change the fact you are wrong. I wanted Simmonds all along, you might have, and a lot of others as well but it become a legitimate debate leading up to the draft on who they should take.
Look at what you wrote. People were bored with saying and agreeing Simmons was the logical pick. So they made a false narrative. The debate wasn't real. It was needed to sell ads in the papers, Internet clicks, or radio spot ads. Anyone who legitimately thought Ingram was better was wrong.

I'm only saying that the debate was had only for the sake of having a debate, controversy for the sake of contraversy is a fake taek.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
People were bored with saying and agreeing Simmons was the logical pick. So they made a false narrative. The debate wasn't real. It was needed to sell ads in the papers, Internet clicks, or radio spot ads. Anyone who legitimately thought Ingram was better was wrong.
agreed
the revisionism aspect to this is that someone thinks it was actually debatable as to whether it should be Simmons.

Reactions: Ruck Over

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
Hinkie brought that upon himself by drafting Tank Commander Okafor...
End justifies the means though as Hinkie had his power stripped for his mistake and I'd rather have Simmons over Porzingis 10/10
Aren’t you glad he went for the tank commander? I know I am. And how can you draft someone that didn’t want to be here?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Simmons was the strong favorite to go #1 but there was definitely some debate.

NBA Draft 2016: How Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram compare head-to-head

In reality, this isn't a draft that has a can't miss superstar. There's no Anthony Davis, no LeBron James, or no Karl-Anthony Towns. Neither of the top two picks are perfect. After all, there's a reason I had neither player in the top 10 prospects of the one-and-done era when I ranked them all last month. Simmons has shooting and defensive questions, and Ingram isn't an elite athlete plus has concerns about his bulk. If both of these guys just ended up as solid NBA starters and not all-stars, I wouldn't be shocked. But someone has to go number one in this draft, and it's going to be one of these players.

7 things to know about the 2016 NBA Draft class

1. Ben Simmons vs. Brandon Ingram is the closest race for No. 1 since Greg Oden vs. Kevin Durant

Simmons entered the year in pole position to be the No. 1 pick, but LSU's disappointing season coupled with Ingram's rapid ascent makes this a real debate at the top of the draft.

Simmons is stronger, more athletic and blessed with special vision and passing ability. Ingram is longer and used his one season at Duke to show he's a lights-out shooter at 6'10. Simmons' complete inability to shoot from the perimeter (he finished his college career 1-of-3 from three-point range) stands in opposition with the way the NBA is trending. Ingram is so young (born 13 months before Simmons) and skinny that NBA teams might need to give him a year or two to grow into his body.

Ingram looks like a player who can fit in anywhere as a 41 percent three-point shooter with a 7'3 wingspan. The team that drafts Simmons will need to surround him with shooters to leverage his talents. But if he's that good, who cares? The diverging strengths and weaknesses of the two top prospects means whichever team lucky enough to pick No. 1 will not have an easy choice on their hands.

I would say Simmons vs Ingram was a closer choice than Fultz vs Lonzo (or Fultz vs Tatum, recent history notwithstanding). Ayton vs Doncic might be comparable.

"Some debate" is not the same as "no debate", and there was definitely "some debate".

Edit: I'm not even saying that Colangelo deserves kudos for making the right choice. Just that it's not true to claim there was no debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Woj reporting that the Sixers, along with Boston, Cleveland, and the Cippers, have made the Spurs a trade offer for Kawhi.

Sources: Pressure on Lakers to acquire Leonard

I'm kind of afraid to know what the Sixers offered.

Getting Kawhi gets you Lebron. I think id pretty much be ok with any package they offered (not including Embiid and Simmons obviously).

Smith + Fultz + Covington + 2021 pick is my guess.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
hope if they give up anything good for him he signs an extension before the trade or it's a sign and trade. at least that way they can always trade him if it doesn't work out.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Getting Kawhi gets you Lebron. I think id pretty much be ok with any package they offered (not including Embiid and Simmons obviously).

Smith + Fultz + Covington + 2021 pick is my guess.

There's no guarantee it gets you LeBron. He and Paul George could decide to take their talents to LA. Also, there's no way you make that trade unless he's signed, and if he's signed I'm not even sure that would be enough. As things stand right now, not one of those assets the Sixers would offer is a legit NBA starter on a contending team.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
There's not guarantee it gets you LeBron. He and Paul George could decide to take their talents to LA. Also, there's no way you make that trade unless he's signed, and if he's signed I'm not even sure that would be enough. As things stand right now, not one of those assets the Sixers would offer is an NBA starter.

Idk I think if we got Kawhi it would be really hard for Lebron not to come here. He and George could sign in LA and hope Kawhi joins them next year tho...but why wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad