OT: Philadelphia 76ers and the NBA (basketball)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We're in the same boat on the other site. Those guys seemingly like him still.

Yeah, I get it for sure. He was really an excellent prospect coming out. He just hasn't translated.

Side note: I'm still laughing at that Colangelo Seinfeld gif.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah, I get it for sure. He was really an excellent prospect coming out. He just hasn't translated.

Side note: I'm still laughing at that Colangelo Seinfeld gif.

I can imagine where they're coming from, I didn't see Mudiay as any competition for Russell coming out, but it feels like DAR hasn't improved since draft day. He's one of those young players in the league that gets a lot of hype and I'm not sure you can even win with.

Everyone do the Colangelo was awesome LOL.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Ok, so with fultz coming in.

How will our lineup look

Fultz / Simmons PG
Covington SG
Saric SF
Okafor PF
Embiid C

Also sixers have money to spend, not sure if they will get anyone this year , We still need some 3 pt shooters and a backup C unless okafor will be embiid backup.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

How will our lineup look

Fultz / Simmons PG
Covington SG
Saric SF
Okafor PF
Embiid C

Also sixers have money to spend, not sure if they will get anyone this year , We still need some 3 pt shooters and a backup C unless okafor will be embiid backup.

I don't think that's right.

Okafor shouldn't even be on the team. Somebody said it'll be Simmons/Fultz/Roco/Saric/Embiid, at least for now.

If they want Simmons at the 4, it could be Fultz/Bayless/Roco/Simmons/Embiid.

Nowhere is Okafor a starter just to **** everything up.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

How will our lineup look

Fultz / Simmons PG
Covington SG
Saric SF
Okafor PF
Embiid C

Right now, I think its probably more:

Fultz
Bayless/Henderson/Stauskas
Covington/TLC
Simmonds/Saric
Embiid/Okafor/Holmes

(Going by guarding position). Saric can't guard threes for any significant stretch, and Okafor can't stretch the floor enough to be a 4 (or guard them at the other end).

I suspect there's still at least two more shoes to drop. Okafor going out and either a SG or stretch 4 coming in would seem the most likely. If they wanted to roll a whole lineup of young guys, then it would probably be Simmonds/Fultz/Covington/Saric/Embiid, with Simmonds guarding 4s and bumping everyone else (other than Embiid) "up" a slot at the defensive end.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Embiid's first navicular injury was before the draft, not after.

Well you could get him for a half-eaten ham sandwich right now.

Can't have it both ways. It can't be both, "Here's a small chance of Fultz falling so don't trade up," then there being zero chance of Jackson or Tatum being there at 5. Isaac, Fox, or even Smith definitely have a small possibility of cracking the top 4 -- and more than small in Isaac's case.

right and i am talking about his back injury that dropped him in the eyes of many.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1988212-joel-embiid-back-injury-puts-kansas-and-nba-on-notice

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/ma...back-injury-joel-embiid-lakers-draft-20140311

If you could get a half eaten sandwich for a 5 x all star what do you think andrea bargnani would warrant?

I amnot saying fultz will drop to us. I know he wont. I am saying Ball would drop to us.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Hopefully the sign Redick.

Simmons (Primary ball handler "PG")
Fultz
Redick
Covington
Embiid

Dario, Henderson, McConnell, Holmes, TLC, Stauskas, Anderson, Bayless.

Okafor traded for whatever. Bayless might get traded/released. Could see Stauskas moved too.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
A little emotional but OK. Embiid was an red flag/injury risk when he was drafted. Everyone knew that on draft day (except maybe you because you left out the foot injury BEFORE the draft). When he's been on the court, he's been one of the most dominate players in the league. They aren't dumping him off the roster. They have to extend him soon anyway.

But besides, you are please with Okafor's play so why would they need another big anyway?

I said he was the number 1 guy, but he wasn't a slam dunk star. The Oilers were even debating taking Ryan Murray. He was the best in a bad class. Yakupov's draft year wasn't all that great and he was one of the oldest players in the class.

This is considered one of the best NBA classes in a decade if not longer and Fultz has been the consensus #1 guy by almost every source since about Christmas. He played the whole year at 18.

Cool? And I'll take Jordan over Bowie.

Ainge's draft track record isn't all that sparkling.

You do realize these same Phoenix Suns once had Isaiah Thomas, Bledsoe, Knight, Dragic, Ennis, and Goodwin on the same NBA roster, Genius?

Also this:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/draft-lottery-notes-sixers-suns-ntilikina-nuggets.html

They clearly value the PG position.

Fultz worked out for Sacramento. He didn't do that for no reason. Fultz wouldn't even workout with the Sixers until they had the deal in place for #1. There are also rumors, Boston is looking to move #3.

The Ringer has Fox going to Phoenix (another PG) and Jackson on the board at 5 btw. Chad Ford has Fox going at 4 with Tatum going 5.

But if that's true and you know no one else could have traded up to #1, Ainge wouldn't have been dealing from a position of strength, right? I haven't come across a Boston fan that doesn't think the return was a little light.

I left out the foot injury because nothing was set in stone when he was drafted. No one alluded to the fact that it was a navicular fracture. There was speculation, and it was believed that he would be ready by october.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft2014/s...el-embiid-suffers-foot-injury-prior-nba-draft

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/20/5828744/joel-embiid-injury-kansas-nba-draft-2014

no one reported it was a navicular fracture before the draft.

In regards to okafor i said he had a good rookie year, if you want to provide proof that that wasn't the case go for it.

This is a deep rookie class not necessarily strong at the top. Wiggins, embiid, parker, simmons, kat, davis , and kyrie were all better prospects. So from the past 7 drafts he beats anthony bennett.

You take jordan over bowie? awesome me too. But in that scenario. Lamarcus aldridge is jordan, and Andrea Bargnanai is Bowie. Guess which one your boy colangelo took? The moment you start defending any of the Colangelo's you are going to look like an idiot. I recommend you stop it.

The phoenix suns at one time had 4 pg's on their team and had to trade away 2 of them in some terrible basketball deals. Both those guys have gone on to prosper. So if any team in this draft knows what a disadvantage it would be to having too many pg's its the SUns.

You still haven't come up with any potential deals that mirror what we gave the celts. The Celts wanted two top 5 picks. We were the only teams with an abundance of them.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
1: Bayless/Fultz/TJ/Simmons
2: TLC/Sauce/Fultz
3: Simmons/RoCo/Anderson/TLC
4: Saric/?/Simmons
5: Embiid/Holmes/Simmons

That's sort of what I would like to see, doubt it actually goes that way. Fultz ends up starting at PG sooner rather than later.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Look like Big Collar Colangelo is eyeing another pick...

I think whether we were selecting at No. 1 or staying at 3, there’s been some talk about our interest in acquiring yet another pick,†said Colangelo, the team’s president of basketball operations. “I’m not going to give up those efforts because we moved up to No. 1.

“I always feel that future assets are future assets, but when you can look at a group of talent in this particular draft and know that you have a comfort level with those players who are there, grab them while you can.â€

Don’t be surprised if the Sixers deal a player on the current roster and/or perhaps package couple of second-rounders or future picks in their quest to add another first-rounder in Thursday’s draft.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...6ers-sixers-eye-another-first-round-pick.html

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
So, basically two different things in there, right?

Option 1: Package a bunch of 2nds to move into the late 1st.
Option 2: Trade an existing player (Okafor's really the only option) with or without some of the 2nds to get a mid-1st? (I would assume they'd hold on to him rather than dealing him for a late 1st at this point.)

When I look at the mid-1sts, the only potential matches (for an Okafor-centered deal) are Charlotte (#11), Portland (#15), Chicago (#16), and Indiana (#18). I'm not saying he actually could fetch those picks, but everyone else seems an obviously bad fit.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So, basically two different things in there, right?

Option 1: Package a bunch of 2nds to move into the late 1st.
Option 2: Trade an existing player (Okafor's really the only option) with or without some of the 2nds to get a mid-1st?

Both are plausible. Seems like they have an eye on a player in the 1st round other than Fultz of course...that they like...

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
1: Bayless/Fultz/TJ/Simmons
2: TLC/Sauce/Fultz
3: Simmons/RoCo/Anderson/TLC
4: Saric/?/Simmons
5: Embiid/Holmes/Simmons

That's sort of what I would like to see, doubt it actually goes that way. Fultz ends up starting at PG sooner rather than later.

I think Fultz starts day 1 over Bayless. I also think they pursue Reddick hard in FA which means they will look to move Stauskas.

I think you see something like this (please note I am basing this on defense, as I am putting Simmons as the 4 when he is going to play PG on offense, on D I know they said he will cover PGs but I dont buy that)

PG: Fultz
SG: Reddick
SF: RoCo
PF: Simmons
C: Embiid

PG: TJ
SG: Bayless/TLC
SF: Anderson
PF: Saric
C: Holmes/Okafor (doubt Okafor will be on the team much longer)

That is how I see the roster next season. I believe Saric will be best utilized as a 6th man and can be the driving force for the 2nd unit.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure Okafor is tradeable if the knee doesn't check out.

With four 2nd rd picks, a tradeup isn't that hard, #36 and #46 might get you in the upper 20s (some teams don't want the guaranteed contract that comes with a late 1st rd pick they won't play for a year or two, and having two D-league slots makes 2nd rd picks more valuable this year).

Sixers also have the option of trading a 2nd rd pick for a 1st rd pick plus a bad contract, Lakers want to dump a couple contracts and have a late 1st.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
The more I look at these lineups, the more I wonder if the Sixers wouldn't be best served by hoping Butler ends up in Boston. Chicago would almost certainly end up with at least one of the Celtics 3-and-D guys who they might be willing to flip for Okafor.

Fultz/Bradley/Covington/Simmonds/Embiid is has a nice combination of spacing and defense.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
The more I look at these lineups, the more I wonder if the Sixers wouldn't be best served by hoping Butler ends up in Boston. Chicago would almost certainly end up with at least one of the Celtics 3-and-D guys who they might be willing to flip for Okafor.

Fultz/Bradley/Covington/Simmonds/Embiid is has a nice combination of spacing and defense.

They would never trade Bradley for Okafor. If they were looking to trade Bradley, they probably would have drafted Fultz.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
They would never trade Bradley for Okafor. If they were looking to trade Bradley, they probably would have drafted Fultz.

I'm not sure I was as clear as I should have been. I was talking about a scenario in which Bradley + 3 went to Chicago for Jimmy Butler. (For cap reasons, Bradley would almost have to go in any such deal, from what I understand.)

At that point, I'm not sure the rebuilding Bulls hold on to Bradley.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But, but, I was told repeatedly that KP was going to be a superstar.
Why would Phil want to trade him?

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
But, but, I was told repeatedly that KP was going to be a superstar.
Why would Phil want to trade him?

Because they hate each other and Phil Jackson has completely lost his mind

C4vsV9fUMAA4mS2.jpg

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
They let his favorite assistant coach go, and he is not happy with management. Knicks are a tire fire. Glad they are in the Sixers division

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
You'd have to think the Celtics would have given up the #1 overall for Porzingis, right?

Thomas/Bradley/Hayward/Porzingis/Horford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad