OT: Philadelphia 76ers and the NBA (basketball)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No, not just Embiid. Things I can tell you for a fact:

They turned down offers for 11 in 2013.

They tried to move up in 2015. Many times.

we all know they targetted russell, and it didn't happen. There is talk that hinkie wanted to draft porzingis but ownership said to take okafor.

Hey i have no problem with okafor when healthy. He played well his rookie year.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Didn't Magic and the Lakers want Fultz? From some reports I read..Magic was impressed with him from the tryout and wanted to get him but the Lakers couldn't match the Sixers offer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
you can't say that he is the next james harden. we don't know what he is going to be like. It is a guess. malking wasn't a number 1, neither will the flyers pick be a number 1. but imagine losing that pick because of a trade to move up to draft yakupov. when you could have stayed at 3 and drafted galchenyuk. ouch
I didn't say he was the next Harden but you have to make an evaluation. If you think he has a chance to be that kind of player you better make a play to get him or you'll be kicking the can down the road and praying on ping pong balls.

I didn't see Malkin at 1st but I edited my post. He goes 1st overall every year but 04 and 05. If BC thought next years draft had an Ovi and a Malkin he gets more protection on the pick or moves a different asset.

No one wanted that 2012 1st overall pick. It was pretty well agreed upon Yakupov was good but not a slam dunk star and the class overall wasn't great. Don't see the point. That 3 is sometimes better than 1? Historically 1 is much better than 3rd overall. Not exactly a revelation.

as long as embiid is on the roster? if he has another foot , knee , injury he may not be on the roster. Embiids next serious injury may just be his last. LA and Sac can tank without trying, that is how bad they are. LA has hope atleast because of young talent.
So the Sixers are just going to give up on "one of the best basketball prospects ever" (your words)? He's going to get a max contract and at some point they are going to stop be conservative and just play him. And apparently you have no problem with Okafor, so what's the big deal anyway?

As for LA and SAC, as you would say, 'we don't know what they are going to be like. It is a guess.'

Boston was not going to draft fultz and not going to draft ball. So let's play a game. And predict how the draft would fall going forward. Boston: Josh Jackson , Lakers : Fultz, Philly : Ball.

im damn good with that. i much rather have ball and all of our assets than give up a high pick and get fultz.

What if BC doesn't think Ball is going to be a special special special special special special special special special special special special special special special player? What if he sees an non-special athlete, with a funky shot, no mid-range game, won't be able to play off the ball, and doesn't want to deal with his crazy father?

Let's play another game, what if Ainge deals the pick to someone else like Phoenix or Sacramento and they take Fultz and Ball goes to LA? Now what? Another year without a core perimeter player? Hey at least you have your assets!

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I just can't see Ball being that good of a player. I watched a lot of him this year, and he can't shoot going a certain direction. His defense is also a question mark.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I didn't say he was the next Harden but you have to make an evaluation. If you think he has a chance to be that kind of player you better make a play to get him or you'll be kicking the can down the road and praying on ping pong balls.

I didn't see Malkin at 1st but I edited my post. He goes 1st overall every year but 04 and 05. If BC thought next years draft had an Ovi and a Malkin he gets more protection on the pick or moves a different asset.

No one wanted that 2012 1st overall pick. It was pretty well agreed upon Yakupov was good but not a slam dunk star and the class overall wasn't great. Don't see the point. That 3 is sometimes better than 1? Historically 1 is much better than 3rd overall. Not exactly a revelation.

So the Sixers are just going to give up on "one of the best basketball prospects ever" (your words)? He's going to get a max contract and at some point they are going to stop be conservative and just play him. And apparently you have no problem with Okafor, so what's the big deal anyway?

As for LA and SAC, as you would say, 'we don't know what they are going to be like. It is a guess.'

What if BC doesn't think Ball is going to be a special special special special special special special special special special special special special special special player? What if he sees an non-special athlete, with a funky shot, no mid-range game, won't be able to play off the ball, and doesn't want to deal with his crazy father?

Let's play another game, what if Ainge deals the pick to someone else like Phoenix or Sacramento and they take Fultz and Ball goes to LA? Now what? Another year without a core perimeter player? Hey at least you have your assets!

you do understand that time changes things.

i feel like you hold people to a standard of when an opinion was made and once they change their opinion you hold it in their face as if they were wrong. One can be right about two very difference opinions when it comes to the same person.

For instance when embiid was drafted his lower back was a concern. That is why he fell. Still one of the best basketball prospects ive ever seen and would take him. Since then he has had two debilitating foot injuries as well as a knee injury that has limited him to 33 games in his career.

in regards to the 2012 pick, yak was a sure fire number 1 prospect at the time and was head and shoulders above his peers. go back and look at some draft guides at that time it wasn't even close. Everyone said yak would have gone number in 2011.

If you want to think brian colangelo is an expert talent evaluator at the nba level and was hired because of his talent and not because of nepotism from a person who has never won a damn thing in the nba then go for it. me on the other hand selects lamarcus aldridge number 1 all day.

what does phoenix offer boston for that first pick? what position is phoenix stacked at? oh you mean their 22 million dollar backcourt? well lets add another ball handler to the mix. Genius. Did you go to the bryan colangelo school of how to be a gm?

and no way does boston trade with sac and allow themselves to be taken out of the range to get jackson or tatum

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For instance when embiid was drafted his lower back was a concern. That is why he fell. Still one of the best basketball prospects ive ever seen and would take him. Since then he has had two debilitating foot injuries as well as a knee injury that has limited him to 33 games in his career.

Embiid's first navicular injury was before the draft, not after.

me on the other hand selects lamarcus aldridge number 1 all day.

Well you could get him for a half-eaten ham sandwich right now.

and no way does boston trade with sac and allow themselves to be taken out of the range to get jackson or tatum

Can't have it both ways. It can't be both, "Here's a small chance of Fultz falling so don't trade up," then there being zero chance of Jackson or Tatum being there at 5. Isaac, Fox, or even Smith definitely have a small possibility of cracking the top 4 -- and more than small in Isaac's case.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Sixers turned the following assets:

2017 5th pick, Michael Carter-Williams, Arturas Gudaitis, and Luka Mitrovic

INTO

Markelle Fultz, Nik Stauskas, and a future first round pick from either the Lakers in 2018 or the Kings in 2019.

Yet some people are complaining :shakehead

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
fultz is firmly in the same group as deangelo and ball. IN fact two things hurt ball a lot his father and his shooting form, but ball is going to be a stud and i would have gladly taken him. Ball is going to be a special special special player.

LaVar is what's missing from hockey and sports in general. Stops Lonzo from being another soulless athlete who is exploited by the media and marketing campaigns.

His shooting form is weird, but he does have a quick release.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
fultz is firmly in the same group as deangelo and ball. IN fact two things hurt ball a lot his father and his shooting form, but ball is going to be a stud and i would have gladly taken him. Ball is going to be a special special special player.

Ball and Russell are not outstanding athletes for the NBA game, which is cause for concern about their ability to beat defenders off the dribble and get to the basket. There's too much of an athletic disparity between them and Fultz for them to be counted as prospects in the same bunch.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Someone post some positivity in here. This is the last thing Sixers fans need.

[Tweet]876996442434535424[/MEDIA]

The info is not from Ford, so I trust it more. Talk about a wakeup call on Russell's value. He's been putrid.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fultz may not be a franchise player, but that's not what the Sixers need, with Embiid, Holmes, Simmons, Saric and RoCo, the glaring need was at guard. TLC was the only guard on the roster that could projected as a NBA starting quality player.

With Fultz, you've filled that need with a player with no obvious flaws, he can play PG, off guard, shoot the "3", and with BB breathing down his neck, has the size, reach and athleticism to be a plus defender. He may not be Westbrook or Harden, but he could be Paul or Wade. As GS showed, you need players that fit together more than just stars. Fultz is a great fit on this team.

And it's not like this trade stripped the Sixers of assets, they have 4 2nd rd picks this year, and 3 1st round picks and 6nd round picks (a number almost sure to end up between 31-40) the next two years. That's a lot of assets to pick, stash and wheel and deal to build depth. Oh yeah, they also have Korkmaz coming over in a year, the Turkish Korver.

What's not to like?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Franchise star players are a lot like Highlanders: there can only be one and Embiid is that one. ;)

I don't see the issue at all with the Fultz trade. That's the type of aggressive you want; it's why we stockpile all of these assets.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Ball and Russell are not outstanding athletes for the NBA game, which is cause for concern about their ability to beat defenders off the dribble and get to the basket. There's too much of an athletic disparity between them and Fultz for them to be counted as prospects in the same bunch.

Ball will be a good player, a potentially elite passer. But a lot of people have questions about his ability to score in the NBA. He could certainly become very good in that traditional PG sense but that's not where the NBA is now. The PGs are also scorers. Curry is also excellent playing off the ball. Fultz is that kind of PG- can facilitate, score, play off the ball. That's the kind of PG that people want these days.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
It seems clear that if BOS acquires Butler, both Crowder and Avery Bradley will jave to be part of the package (for cap purposes as well as roster balance).

Bradley would be a great fit with this team and I'd still fairly young. Would CHI move him for Okafor? Is that selling too low for a soon-to-be free agent?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
you do understand that time changes things.

i feel like you hold people to a standard of when an opinion was made and once they change their opinion you hold it in their face as if they were wrong. One can be right about two very difference opinions when it comes to the same person.

A little emotional but OK. Embiid was an red flag/injury risk when he was drafted. Everyone knew that on draft day (except maybe you because you left out the foot injury BEFORE the draft). When he's been on the court, he's been one of the most dominate players in the league. They aren't dumping him off the roster. They have to extend him soon anyway.

But besides, you are please with Okafor's play so why would they need another big anyway?

in regards to the 2012 pick, yak was a sure fire number 1 prospect at the time and was head and shoulders above his peers. go back and look at some draft guides at that time it wasn't even close. Everyone said yak would have gone number in 2011.
I said he was the number 1 guy, but he wasn't a slam dunk star. The Oilers were even debating taking Ryan Murray. He was the best in a bad class. Yakupov's draft year wasn't all that great and he was one of the oldest players in the class.

This is considered one of the best NBA classes in a decade if not longer and Fultz has been the consensus #1 guy by almost every source since about Christmas. He played the whole year at 18.

If you want to think brian colangelo is an expert talent evaluator at the nba level and was hired because of his talent and not because of nepotism from a person who has never won a damn thing in the nba then go for it. me on the other hand selects lamarcus aldridge number 1 all day.
Cool? And I'll take Jordan over Bowie.

Ainge's draft track record isn't all that sparkling.

what does phoenix offer boston for that first pick? what position is phoenix stacked at? oh you mean their 22 million dollar backcourt? well lets add another ball handler to the mix. Genius. Did you go to the bryan colangelo school of how to be a gm?
You do realize these same Phoenix Suns once had Isaiah Thomas, Bledsoe, Knight, Dragic, Ennis, and Goodwin on the same NBA roster, Genius?

Also this:
The Suns have been rumored to part of three-way deals involving Paul George and Jimmy Butler, and they are also reportedly enamored with UCLA point guard Lonzo Ball, who is expected to be drafted No. 2 overall by the Lakers.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/draft-lottery-notes-sixers-suns-ntilikina-nuggets.html

They clearly value the PG position.

Fultz worked out for Sacramento. He didn't do that for no reason. Fultz wouldn't even workout with the Sixers until they had the deal in place for #1. There are also rumors, Boston is looking to move #3.

The Ringer has Fox going to Phoenix (another PG) and Jackson on the board at 5 btw. Chad Ford has Fox going at 4 with Tatum going 5.

But if that's true and you know no one else could have traded up to #1, Ainge wouldn't have been dealing from a position of strength, right? I haven't come across a Boston fan that doesn't think the return was a little light.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad