Player Discussion Phil "The thrill", "Pizza man" Danault (Part 4) - The Final Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
VERY solid defensively. Top 5 in Selke voting once or twice in his future wouldn’t surprise me.

That being said, whoever signs him will regret BOTH the term and AAV. Mark my words.

Reactions: BLONG7

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A guy that plays 18+ mins a night and only gets 5 goals doesn’t have a roster spot on my team. Glad Bergevin sees it the same.

So Phil Danault doesn't get a roster spot irregardless of how much money he makes? If you believe that then you are entirely wrong.

I think Danault plays in the top nine of any team in the league but he is asking for more money and term than he is worth. Hopefully Danault finds that he has overpriced himself and returns for a more reasonable offer than the one that MB initially offered.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
ult.
VERY solid defensively. Top 5 in Selke voting once or twice in his future wouldn’t surprise me.

That being said, whoever signs him will regret BOTH the term and AAV. Mark my words.
I think, if it happens, the franchise can survive the departure of Danault.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
ult.

I think, if it happens, the franchise can survive the departure of Danault.

Hopefully Jake Evans can take another step as he has the potential to be a lockdown center with some offensive flair. The key likely lies in his ability to avoid concussions.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The only question I have is what leads engels to believe that his return is unlikely.

If he has an inside source who told him this information, that's one thing, but if he's basing this on Danault being able to test the market, it's still possible that he can circle back to Montreal if he doesn't like what's out there

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
The only question I have is what leads engels to believe that his return is unlikely.

If he has an inside source who told him this information, that's one thing, but if he's basing this on Danault being able to test the market, it's still possible that he can circle back to Montreal if he doesn't like what's out there

He isn’t returning because (allegedly) although he likes the fans, the crest and coaching staff, he doesn’t see himself thriving within a role he envisions for himself in Montreal, basically he sees himself as a 65-70 point second line center given the right linemates, and no need to argue with me on this btw, this is as old as time regarding his self assessment and arguably the one of some teammates linked for quote

Whatever epiphany he had during the playoffs, Danault is signing next year where he can get first or second line teammates and minutes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He isn’t returning because (allegedly) although he likes the fans, the crest and coaching staff, he doesn’t see himself thriving within a role he envisions for himself in Montreal, basically he sees himself as a 65-70 point second line center given the right linemates, and no need to argue with me on this btw, this is as old as time regarding his self assessment and arguably the one of some teammates linked for quote

Whatever epiphany he had during the playoffs, Danault is signing next year where he can get first or second line teammates and minutes.

Seattle should be the place then.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...as long as it isn't us that's paying him anything near $5 mill per, I'm good with it...

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I'd keep him for 4.5 cause his shutdown skills are pretty unique, but over than that, I let him go. He's basically a gold glove shortstop who hits for .240 with 10 HR a year.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
-Getting a proper veteran defensive center isn't easy. Hence the cost for Danault.

I agree it isn't easy, but Bonino is out there. With cap space opening up, we can easily offer him his last year's salary, or even a raise, for 2 years.

I can't say I really watched Brassard last season, but he has the reputation as a two-way center and his usage was definitely more defensively orient (hold leads, tied late, D-zone push), even if he didn't face top competition.

I'm not sure Brassard's even an NHL center at this point of his career.

There really aren't free agent options out there that can do what Danault does.

There's no one like Danault, I agree. Ideally, we keep him. If that's not possible, Bonino seems like the second best option to bridge the gap until hopefully Poehling is ready.

-I'm fine with improving if the right opportunity presents itself, I just don't think it will and Montreal shouldn't force the issue.

No. No they shouldn't.

-I don't think surrounding the Habs with an atmosphere of respectability is an issue. They've got a good locker room and vets who can lead and still play. I'm not advocating a sell-off, just being realistic with the shitty hand the team has been dealt this offseason.

All of this can dissappear real quick if you are going to ice a terrible team on purpose.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
MB is in no position to play smart ass with Danault. He overpaid Gally and Anderson. He has no option in the org for a player like Danault who is playing against the best opponents centermen. KK is very raw, and Suzuki is just starting to show his stuff. He's got tons of $$$ with Tatar going, as well as Weber injured, ad most possibly, Price gone. + the Drouin's enigma. Are we gonna lose one of the best defensive centerman for a 500K difference ?

Agreed, sounds moronic, but here we are. On the other hand, if he's willing to leave over $0,5M, then likely he has other reasons. Let's see what he's going to get on the open market. I wouldn't go over certain level.

They better hope Kotkaniemi and Poehling develop really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Wennberg...
I'm not sure Wennberg is a good Danault replacement. A center line of Suzuki - Danault - Wennberg would be fine, if we traded Kotkaniemi for a #1D. If it's Danault that goes, we probably need a player with a different profile.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Bergevin after losing Phil to FA: “If you want loyalty, buy a dog”

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

This nonsense again.......You are paraphrasing with extreme bias.

He never made any claim that he was a 65-70 point player, he just stated that he didn't want to be exclusively saddled with only defensive roles. He wanted an opportunity to play in all situations so that he could progress as a player. He has went out of his way to explain this but as is the norm in today's world......people just hear their own bias despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Love the, "no need to argue with me on this btw, this is as old as time regarding his self assessment" attempt to assert your bias as fact by trying to dissuade discussion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad