Player Discussion Phil "The thrill", "Pizza man" Danault (Part 4) - The Final Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully Habs don't make a panic move for a French Canadian player. There's some quality veteran D like David Savard and Julien Demers they can sign. Please no Sergachev for Drouin 2.0.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hopefully Habs don't make a panic move for a French Canadian player. There's some quality veteran D like David Savard and Julien Demers they can sign. Please no Sergachev for Drouin 2.0.

Brassard seems logical.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
every morning phil danault gets up, looks in the mirror and sees Patrice Bergeron looking back at him. He could be his own episode of House.

Well to all those that laughed at him for turning down 5M AAV for 6 years, and said all year that he shouldn't even be getting 3M, he's about to get paid and we'll see if they were right or the joke's about to be on them.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Guhle for Dubois

:o

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He's a French Canadian and should help Montreal secure a high pick in the 2022 draft.
If that's the objective for next season, then yes, we should sign him.

Still, he doesn't take hard minutes away from our young centers and I don't want them shell shocked next season. I'd much rather Bonino for a year or two.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Well to all those that laughed at him for turning down 5M AAV for 6 years, and said all year that he shouldn't even be getting 3M, he's about to get paid and we'll see if they were right or the joke's about to be on them.
His value and what another team will pay him are not the same thing. I’m sure he will get over 5 mil per

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If that's the objective for next season, then yes, we should sign him.

Still, he doesn't take hard minutes away from our young centers and I don't want them shell shocked next season. I'd much rather Bonino for a year or two.

I'm not sure it makes sense to plan for the alternative.

-Montreal's going to be in a division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Florida.
-Montreal's going to be in a conference with Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Florida, both New York teams, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Philly.
-Weber is likely gone for at least the season.
-Montreal will likely be without 2/3rds of the line they've most heavily relied on the last 3 regular seasons (Tatar-Danault-Gallagher).
-Price will likely either be out short-term or be gone to Seattle.

I was higher on this team than some during the regular season and I really enjoyed the Cup run, but unless Montreal can hit a real homerun in Free Agency, I have a hard time seeing Montreal's path to a playoff spot given all the roster losses and competition. Doesn't it make more sense to, instead of making a panic move, keep your powder dry and take a gamble on a Brassard type to take some minutes to make sure the young guys aren't completely overmatched and get a good pick in what is reported to be a very strong 2022 NHL draft?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'm not sure it makes sense to plan for the alternative.

-Montreal's going to be in a division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Florida.
-Montreal's going to be in a conference with Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Florida, both New York teams, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Philly.
-Weber is likely gone for at least the season.
-Montreal will likely be without 2/3rds of the line they've most heavily relied on the last 3 regular seasons (Tatar-Danault-Gallagher).
-Price will likely either be out short-term or be gone to Seattle.

I was higher on this team than some during the regular season and I really enjoyed the Cup run, but unless Montreal can hit a real homerun in Free Agency, I have a hard time seeing Montreal's path to a playoff spot given all the roster losses and competition. Doesn't it make more sense to, instead of making a panic move, keep your powder dry and take a gamble on a Brassard type to take some minutes to make sure the young guys aren't completely overmatched and get a good pick in what is reported to be a very strong 2022 NHL draft?
Agreed with most of the above.

Still not a reason to ice, on purpose, the worse possible team. That would be a terrible message to our youth after this playoff run.

Get a proper, veteran defensive center. Overpay if you must, his contract won't hurt if it's for a year or two.

Same with D. Get legitimate guys if it can be done without excessive money/term. Heck, maybe even add a core piece if opportunity presents itself.

Sorround our young guys with an atmosphere of respectability, even if it means picking at #12 instead of #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad