Value of: Phil Kessel

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think Vegas would be on his list. Him being a poker player and all. Not sure if Vegas has any room for him though.

Reactions: KIRK

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think Kessell is a dangerous offensive player still but that 7 mill cap hit will prevent a lot of contending teams from spending resources to bring him in.
At the trade deadline he would probably net a 1st and good prospect in his UFA year.
Before that Pitt would have to retain salary or take less for the cap hit

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Straight up? I’d think a 2nd, B prospect and decent middle six roster player. Nothing of too much interest. NTC will limit any bidding war before it even gets off the ground and I doubt Kessel has a strong rep among GMs.

I do think the Pens could use him to move up ~10 spots or so in the draft. Base deal of Kessel+Pens 1st for a mid to late lottery pick.

I don’t think trading him is advisable. Cap hit for a P/PG player is awesome and that NTC will cripple his market value. Hard to get a fair return when only a few teams (like 3-4) would be realistically bidding. Pens have no one to replace that skill set either.

Any GM who doesn't think Kessel would be a benefit to their team should probably retire.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This is assuming that Kessel isn't willing to waive his NTC, and I believe I read rumors that he was willing to at least waive his NTC to go to Arizona last off-season.

I think the assumption should be that Kessel's market is limited, and just leave it at that. It's impossible to say whether he's going to try to strong-arm the Penguins like he tried to strong-arm the Leafs or if he's open to be traded to any good open.
I think he'd waive it to go to a lot of places.

I think the only situations he wouldn't want to go to would be large market/spotlight situations like New York or Montreal or extremely bad weather like Edmonton or Winnipeg.

I think the Penguins would probably want a mix of futures and roster players coming back. Nothing crazy, maybe a late 1st or early 2nd and a younger two-way winger.

Reactions: BHD

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Any GM who doesn't think Kessel would be a benefit to their team should probably retire.

I don’t disagree. Not saying that no one would take him. A lot of teams would love to inject his offense into their top 6, as they should.

But I also don’t think that they’re enamored with his play style. Are they going to give up a ton of assets for a guy who isn’t hard on pucks and doesn’t bring much #grit? They’re wrong, but I think many GMs think that way.

Basically saying that (mis)perception is one piece of the puzzle why the return wouldn’t match what a Cup winning, point per game elite scorer locked up for 6.8M typically fetches in a trade.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What about Frolik + 2nd. I think Kessel will be huge take for Calgary. Flames show that they are ready now for make a run on SC.

That is a straight no-go.

The Frolik + 1st + Prospect offer from the last page was interesting, assuming it was a good prospect. Frolik + 2nd is how Rutherford gets to be named Chief Riverbed Inspector and Concrete Overcoat Tester.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Two things:
What's the point of Pittsburgh trading Kessel?
What's the ask from Minnesota?

He still can be a good offensive player and puts up points, but isn't fitting with Crosby or Malkin anymore. Should be the #1 offensive option on his line but needs the right complimentary pieces. The complimentary pieces, I think, are a 2-way 2C and a speedy/gritty wing willing to muck it up on the boards.

1st round pick + young, decent middle six winger or

1st round pick + 2nd pairing D-man

Would do it.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He still can be a good offensive player and puts up points, but isn't fitting with Crosby or Malkin anymore. Should be the #1 offensive option on his line but needs the right complimentary pieces. The complimentary pieces, I think, are a 2-way 2C and a speedy/gritty wing willing to muck it up on the boards.

1st round pick + young, decent middle six winger or

1st round pick + 2nd pairing D-man

Would do it.
Minnesota's got a borderline top 10 pick so I'm gonna say no to both of those proposals.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
What about his value to a contending team or a team who wants a piece to increase their competitiveness? Like the Habs as an example.
If the Habs were closer to being a contender, I would certainly be in on Kessel.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Kessel and Maatta might be a good fit on the Habs.
I don't think the Habs are going to be serious contenders for a few years, so I wouldn't want to see them give up high end assets for guys that might not be around when they finally get there. I like Kessel and was hoping the Leafs were going to trade him to the Habs before they dealt him to the Pens. I just think the Habs need to think younger and find guys that are going to help them 3 years from now.

Maatta is certainly the right age to fit, and plays the right position (LD). I'm pretty sure there was already a Maatta to Montreal thread a while back on here.

Reactions: Nakawick

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Two things:
What's the point of Pittsburgh trading Kessel?
What's the ask from Minnesota?
Needs a change of scenery and doesn't fit the team anymore. Doesn't wanna play on the 3rd line, doesn't work with Malkin, Crosby doesn't want him on his line, so...off he goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad