Value of: Phil Kessel

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The partial NTC can't be ignored Pittsburgh would only have 8 teams to make a deal . Any trade would be to a contending team . The return would likely be less than what Kessel can offer Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK and 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The partial NTC can't be ignored Pittsburgh would only have 8 teams to make a deal . Any trade would be to a contending team . The return would likely be less than what Kessel can offer Pittsburgh .
Exactly. He's only attractive to win now teams because of his age and cost to acquire counteracting each other. Contenders are the only teams that'd trade for him, but his contract makes it really hard for contending teams to fit him in.

Pens are best off just keeping him.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
What about his value to a contending team or a team who wants a piece to increase their competitiveness? Like the Habs as an example.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The partial NTC can't be ignored Pittsburgh would only have 8 teams to make a deal . Any trade would be to a contending team . The return would likely be less than what Kessel can offer Pittsburgh.

People forget he signed that while in Toronto. He was in a situation he did not wish to leave (still really likes Toronto from every report). We didn't nab the guy in free agency - where he signed a NTC in order to remain in Pittsburgh - he was traded here. Think of Marleau as the situation reversed.

Also, there were credible sources this past summer stating he was ready and willing to waive. Obviously, that doesn't give the Pens a clean slate - but it surely opens up a lot more than 8 teams. Places he likes are Toronto, Dallas, Arizona, and the Carolinas. Not sure about anywhere else.

This being said, most of us are torn on the idea of trading him. We all know what he brings and doesn't bring to our club, and increasingly each year that 6.8M looks awfully nice (when you compare to what PPG players are commanding in 2018, 2019, and beyond.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
What would the cost be from the Flames? I think he’d be a solid top 6 add for Calgary.
I don't really want to set the price for him myself, just curious as to what fans of another team, such as yourself, would be willing to offer. There is no right or wrong answer.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Straight up? I’d think a 2nd, B prospect and decent middle six roster player. Nothing of too much interest. NTC will limit any bidding war before it even gets off the ground and I doubt Kessel has a strong rep among GMs.

I do think the Pens could use him to move up ~10 spots or so in the draft. Base deal of Kessel+Pens 1st for a mid to late lottery pick.

I don’t think trading him is advisable. Cap hit for a P/PG player is awesome and that NTC will cripple his market value. Hard to get a fair return when only a few teams (like 3-4) would be realistically bidding. Pens have no one to replace that skill set either.

Reactions: BHD

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't really want to set the price for him myself, just curious as to what fans of another team, such as yourself, would be willing to offer. There is no right or wrong answer.
I'd probably go with Frolik + 2019 1st + prospect. Frolik would play well on the 2nd/3rd line as a versatile winger, very defensively responsible, and can chip in offensively with the offensive players the Pens' got. Only would have a year left on his deal.

Flames would then roll with in 2020:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kessel
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Ryan - Neal
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Hathaway
Dube, Czarnik

Reactions: Nakawick

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
People forget he signed that while in Toronto. He was in a situation he did not wish to leave (still really likes Toronto from every report). We didn't nab the guy in free agency - where he signed a NTC in order to remain in Pittsburgh - he was traded here. Think of Marleau as the situation reversed.

Also, there were credible sources this past summer stating he was ready and willing to waive. Obviously, that doesn't give the Pens a clean slate - but it surely opens up a lot more than 8 teams. Places he likes are Toronto, Dallas, Arizona, and the Carolinas. Not sure about anywhere else.

This being said, most of us are torn on the idea of trading him. We all know what he brings and doesn't bring to our club, and increasingly each year that 6.8M looks awfully nice (when you compare to what PPG players are commanding in 2018, 2019, and beyond.

Can you link the sources?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure Kessel would be open to being dealt to more than 8 teams if he wants out, and over the summer he seemed up to it.

Personally I think Arizona, Colorado and Vancouver seem like the best fits.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Arizona to reunite with Tocchet. Would likely have to send back somebody like Goligoski as part of the deal to make the dollars work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Kessel would have a little bit more value compared to what he had in 2015, maybe something like a middle-6 winger, a good winger/defenseman prospect and a 1st. Kessel was basically traded for a good winger prospect, an okay D prospect and a 1st in 2015, and I think he has done more to raise his value from that than to lower his value. The only real negative on his value compared to 2015 is him being 4 years older. His play this year has been better than what he was in 2014-2015 for the Leafs, he has the 2 cups to his name with 2 excellent playoff runs and the Penguins aren't determined to move him like the Leafs were.

I think the tough question is figuring out how married to Pittsburgh Kessel actually is. I don't think Kessel loves Pittsburgh like he loved Toronto, but I would also use my NTC the same way in Pittsburgh as I used it in Toronto if I was in Kessel's shoes. I'd say that Kessel would probably construct his NTC to make him very difficult to trade, but he'd be willing to waive to some teams (Vegas and Arizona stick out as 2 teams I think he'd waive for). I think the Penguins would have more options to trade him this year than the Leafs had in 2015, but it would still be a very limited market.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Arizona to reunite with Tocchet. Would likely have to send back somebody like Goligoski as part of the deal to make the dollars work.

The Pittsburgh blue line is rammed full and as such, any proposals where Pittsburgh takes back players should be centred around wingers to be realistic, much to my chagrin as both Barrie and Goligoski would be much more to my liking as part of our defence.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is assuming that Kessel isn't willing to waive his NTC, and I believe I read rumors that he was willing to at least waive his NTC to go to Arizona last off-season.

I think the assumption should be that Kessel's market is limited, and just leave it at that. It's impossible to say whether he's going to try to strong-arm the Penguins like he tried to strong-arm the Leafs or if he's open to be traded to any good open.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
The Pittsburgh blue line is rammed full and as such, any proposals where Pittsburgh takes back players should be centred around wingers to be realistic, much to my chagrin as both Barrie and Goligoski would be much more to my liking as part of our defence.
Clear out some of the dead wood then and make this happen. I feel like Barrie would be defence upgrade for you guys and we are good with the big cap hit and one way play of Kessel because we honestly just need someone who can shoot the puck.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we get Barrie I guess that means Schultz is gone?

Dumo-Letang
??-Barrie

If we can clear JJ and Maatta off maybe we can land Fowler (cap retention) for that left side. ;)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Clear out some of the dead wood then and make this happen. I feel like Barrie would be defence upgrade for you guys and we are good with the big cap hit and one way play of Kessel because we honestly just need someone who can shoot the puck.

Oh, I'd love to see the deadwood pruned and someone of Barrie's calibre added (although handedness being an issue I'd look at Arizona talking about Goligoski instead). But, either way, what I want and what Rutherford's going to do are two very different things.

I could be wrong mind. But it doesn't seem likely right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad