Confirmed with Link: Phil Kessel traded - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Less dollars, bigger NMC list, less term, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Much older player, way lesser player to Phil but still they have a good management group who knows how to handle their own and win the cups. Our not so much, these guys are running this team like its Toronto Maple Leafs of CHL. Where Kessel's value is draft+1 year so trade him for younger players.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Jonas Siegel, trading Phil Kessel was always going to be the Maple Leafs' best chance at landing future assets to help push the franchise's rebuilding plan forward.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/leafs-land-much-needed-assets-in-kessel-trade-1.323130

The organization landed 2014 first-round pick Kasperi Kapanen, 22-year-old defender Scott Harrington, 26-year-old depth forward Nick Spaling and first- and third-round selections in the trade.

It's a substantive strike at reshaping the roster and precisely the reason why Toronto was right, at this stage in the game, to explore trading the player who led them in scoring in each of the past six seasons.

Kessel, who has rung up more points than all but five NHL players since 2011, always stood to offer the Leafs more value as a trade chip than a roster player on a rebuilding squad in the years ahead.

His age, hefty contract (seven years remaining at an annual cap hit of $8 million) and questionable fit didn't line up with Toronto's timetable on the long road back to contention. The assets they landed have the potential to help in that regard.

Kapanen fits in a prospect pipeline that continues to focus on high-end skill; a potential complement to a future forward contingent that includes fellow first-round picks Mitch Marner and William Nylander. He scored 11 goals as an 18-year-old in the Finnish Elite League last season and, like Nylander, is the son of a former NHL player (Sami Kapanen).

Harrington is a familiar face to Mark Hunter, Toronto's director of player personnel. He played four seasons with the London Knights before landing with Pittsburgh in the second round of the 2011 draft. He joins a young stable of Leaf hopefuls on the back-end that also includes Martin Marincin, Viktor Loov, Tom Nilsson, Rinat Valiev and Stuart Percy.

Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner are, of course, the young anchors of Toronto's present and future on defence.

The Leafs also added Spaling for immediate help up front; he has one year left before free agency.

In addition to Kapanen and Harrington, the draft picks represent the most potential value down the road. Toronto essentially landed two firsts (Kapanen and the future lottery-protected pick), a second (Harrington), and a third for Kessel. The Leafs also sent 2011 first-rounder Tyler Biggs, a future second-round pick and recent acquisition Tim Erixon to the Penguins in the deal. Toronto will also be absorbing $1.2 million of Kessel's contract for the next seven years.

It's anyone's guess whether the assets Toronto landed in the massive Kessel deal will work out, but the organization, at the very least, acquired potential puzzle pieces.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
To think that a better deal was out there means that several other NHL teams worked in a coordinated low ball conspiracy to have Kessel land in Pittsburgh.

mikebel111*

Or could it be they don't think much of our management group and took them to the cleaners?

Time will tell but don't ****ing tell me I'm not a fan because I'm upset about these laughable returns

your acting like Leafs didn't try for a bigger return. our management aren't clowns just because we traded the franchise player:sarcasm: Kessel

it wasn't a horrible return. I say its a decent return. I think of it Penguins know about Phil off ice work ethic so they weren't desperate to get him so look low return

Dubas doing a great move again. continues to impress

I cant wait to see your reaction if Dion stays. should be fun:laugh:

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
These guys are manipulating the fans and leafs fans easily get manipulated because anything new for them is sufficient. It was same when Burke was hired and others were fired. I am not buying this **** anymore, not at all.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Lol Dion is not going to be the difference maker. We were a bottom 4 team with both him and Phil last year we will be a bottom 4 with Dion and with out phil.

Unfortunately, the goaltending probably improves though.

I'm hoping to be the worst team in the league next year.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Along with trading their own. He is gonna get fired if Kapanen doesn't become a 25 goal scorer with 50is points a year player. Dumb_Ass

You don't think that Shanahan approved it?

The Leafs had a window to move Kessel, and they took it. Pittsburgh was considered to be the only buyer, and they paid a decent haul. A good prospect, a young second/third pairing defensive defenseman, and a pick were central. That's a pretty good deal, given the circumstances. Dubas did really well with this one.

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
The cycle has to end sometime. Last TDL it was maybe there are more buyers at the draft? Nope. Maybe on July 1? Nope...

I think the real cause behind not having a homerun deal was that there just wasn't anybody interested that he could be traded to. That being said, the deal isn't terrible either. Not great but not terrible

The other problem is was the expectations. People were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Remember the "bidding war" theory?

Remember how we had the best players available and that's all that mattered?

Remember how Florida, Nashville and Columbus would automatically be in on the Phil sweepstakes and throw 1st rounders and their stud prospects at us?

These were unreal expectations. The contract term and big $s were huge factors, despite the unwillingness to accept this.

Yes, something to always be aware of. Dollars and term are huge considerations in todays NHL.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Stop with the only the real Leafs fans bit, it's juvenile you can look at this trade as poor asset management, as brilliant, as whatever but we're all "real" Leaf fans.

Well maybe not people who just post negative comments, I wonder how many of them are actually even fans and not just getting around trolling restrictions.

Thing is it was clear there was no real market for Kessel. Teams were not biting at the chance to offer the moon for Kessel.

It's not a great return but there are some good working parts to the deal for toronto. The 1st will be low in the 20 range unless injury happens then in the teen range. People acting upset because it's protected are dreaming to think it would be any better then a mid teen pick at best. So don't lose sleep because the pick was protected.

Next step should be JVR, I have a feeling with no phil his numbers will slip. Good player with a good contract should garner interest.

So in short stop *****ing about the trade. If you only have 1team interested and you still manage a decent return be happy. Toronto had their hands tied since they wanted phil gone, his ntc list, his contract and the overall un-interest to obtain him.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
To think that a better deal was out there means that several other NHL teams worked in a coordinated low ball conspiracy to have Kessel land in Pittsburgh.

I think that's the point though, isn't it? That several other teams weren't able to take on Kessel right now?

So why not wait and see if you can get a better price for him?

I guess I just don't understand the urgency in all of this. If the deal wasn't a right deal, then don't make.

Mirtle and others believe the Leafs could have got more. THat was my initial response when I saw what was coming back too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For the genuine fans of Kessel, I'm sorry.
Today isn't easy. I've watched many players I've liked over the years be dealt away. It stings.

We need to focus on the big picture. Everyone on this board (whether you like each other or not) deserves to have a team they are proud of with sustained success and eventually (hopefully) a Stanley Cup.

But it's still a ways off. We are only step one. Restock,draft,develop.
The pain.
In 3 years when you start seeing the Marners,Dermotts,Nylanders etc. we will feel better.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
We shouldn't judge the merit of this trade by how well Kessel performs with a generational player as his centre.

Yeah for sure.

The good thing is we are going to be absolutely terrible next year.

Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Bracco up front with Rielly, Gardiner, Chchyrun, Percy, Dermott, Harrington on the back end is a good start to a rebuild.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
It's an awful deal for Toronto. Yes, there was talk about work ethic and physical condition but really, the return is pretty average. The Leafs even retain salary. They have no GM so it makes it even more suspect. Did they draw straws and then Shanny did the talking? :laugh:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Time will tell but don't ****ing tell me I'm not a fan because I'm upset about these laughable returns

Yeah I'm kind of getting tired of those types of posts as well.

I didn't want Kessel back and know the Leafs had to and wanted the Leafs to move on. Just because I'm disappointed in the return doesn't mean I'm somehow a lesser fan than anyone else or I'm a child. It's so condescending.

I'm not going to hold my disappointment against Kapanen or any of the other prospects we've received from this trade. Doesn't mean I'm not still underwhelmed by the return.

It's not even the prospects I have a problem with. I just can't understand why we had to retain (albeit a small amount of the cap) and give back their 2nd in 2016.

Bottom line, just because I'm not thrilled with the return I'm less of a fan or irrational. That's all I have to say about that.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Do you like the return for kessel

I think it's a bit low for a close to ppg guy who is still only 27

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For the genuine fans of Kessel, I'm sorry.
Today isn't easy. I've watched many players I've liked over the years be dealt away. It stings.

We need to focus on the big picture. Everyone on this board (whether you like each other or not) deserves to have a team they are proud of with sustained success and eventually (hopefully) a Stanley Cup.

But it's still a ways off. We are only step one. Restock,draft,develop.
The pain.
In 3 years when you start seeing the Marners,Dermotts,Nylanders etc. we will feel better.

Good post.

I'm a big fan of Kessel, and agreed that he needed to be moved.

WE won't know for a while whether the moves this team made this year are going to be the right ones or not.

As it always goes - time will tell .

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

LaCarriere

Not until Kapenen/Harrington are older and we know who the 1st round (and other picks) are.
Pittsburgh won today. When the Crosby window closes, they are currently depleted.
Toronto is looking at tomorrow.
This is now an official rebuild. As it should be.

When the Crosby window closes? He's 27 and under contract for 11 more years. He'll still be one of the best players in the league in his mid 30s and as long as there is a team around him they will be a competitive team, which is a good reality because his 8.7M cap hit will be a steal when he's in his early/mid 30s 5-6+ years from now.

A lot can happen by the time Crosby is done for PIT to make trades, FA signings, replenish their system, etc. The Penguins had a franchise player in Lemieux won some cups, sucked for awhile, rebuilt and became a competitive team again and won another cup -- and over the 30 years since Lemieux was drafted the leafs have done nothing.

You're acting like PIT just mortgaged their future or something, and these B level prospects will turn the leafs into contenders.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Don't like it but it had to be done and helps us in the long run. Next year we get another lottery pick.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
You don't think that Shanahan approved it?

The Leafs had a window to move Kessel, and they took it. Pittsburgh was considered to be the only buyer, and they paid a decent haul. A good prospect, a young second/third pairing defensive defenseman, and a pick were central. That's a pretty good deal, given the circumstances. Dubas did really well with this one.

WTF has Shanahan proved so far or done to improve the roster? He hasn't done anything, he didn't land 4th overall pick nor did he got anything done at the draft. This has absolutely zero effect on now and if Kapanen doesn't work out this trade is gonna look more and more horrible, because Kessel's gonna become a 90+ points player with Malkin and Sid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad