Not open for further replies.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Last edited by a moderator:

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
Still amazing how Nonis and Burke have managed to dodge so much blame

Their the ones who built this treadmill of a team and locked up this below average core long-term

The Burke/Nonis era with the Leafs is actually looking darker than the JFJ era right now. So much of what they did went bad.

I don't really know if today's trade is good or bad, or if it was the best attainable. None of us do.

I am certain they these guys have information about the team, about Kessel the player and about Kessel the person that we are not privy to. They clearly wanted to move on and they did; and we did. Now the working of building a hockey team continues.

For my money, I would take present management over Burke/Nonis any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Atleast they seem to have a plan; we may not always like it or how they are executing it, but we know they have a plan.

mikebel111*

Along with trading their own. He is gonna get fired if Kapanen doesn't become a 25 goal scorer with 50is points a year player. Dumb_Ass

another fan listed to the list of not true Leafs fans

Kyle showing why teams wanted him so bad

smarts are amazing

we are in safe hands

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So where do people see us next year?
Arizona/Toronto?
How much better did Edmonton/Buffalo get?
Boston got worse but probably in 9-10-11 spot.
Who makes the East top 8?

Atlantic:
Carey Price
Tampa
Detroit

Metro:
Columbus
Islanders
Pittsburgh

Wildcard
Washington
Boston/Florida.

everyone slots in as is minus massive injuries.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
guess Rutherford won the game of chicken.

Not until Kapenen/Harrington are older and we know who the 1st round (and other picks) are.
Pittsburgh won today. When the Crosby window closes, they are currently depleted.
Toronto is looking at tomorrow.
This is now an official rebuild. As it should be.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
It's going to be wierd not seeing him in thr blue and white. Him not being part of the team is finally kicking in. Great player, who should shine with the pens.

mikebel111*

Get over yourself

get over that the best Leaf of all time apparently Phil is gone

Sure tells you what Penguins really do think of him since they didn't pay for him too much

One player isn't over the team

#nontruefans

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
At least the Culture Change has started. That was key this offseason. No way we could go into next season with all of the old core.

I'm still disappointed in the trade, but I'll hope for the best from our newly gained prospects. There is still a lot of work to be done, this is just the start.

One era ends as another begins. Goodbye Kessel, hello Marner.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I find it weird that so many people are "pleased with the return", but then in the very next breath say they are convinced that "Phil will put up 40+ now in Pittsburgh".

Surely, for a 40+ goal player the Leafs should have gotten more?

mikebel111*

Stop with the only the real Leafs fans bit, it's juvenile you can look at this trade as poor asset management, as brilliant, as whatever but we're all "real" Leaf fans.

Well maybe not people who just post negative comments, I wonder how many of them are actually even fans and not just getting around trolling restrictions.

only the non real fans don't like this deal because we lost a player who is above the team it seems to some fans

nice trade

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Listen to Dubas explain the trade, and then tell me you are upset.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In any event, it's going to be absolutely magical watching Kessel with either Crosby or Malkin.

For sure. Very interesting.

guess Rutherford won the game of chicken.

From what I can gather, Leafs had this offer that was even remotely acceptable. Pens had a deadline that was today.

It might have been a game of chicken, but Leafs had much more to lose.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas: many times management comes up to the podium and promise change, and nothing happens. It's obvious that our management wants change to happen and we're committed. It's not about Phil. it's about how things here weren't working period, and we're changing things.

Comments like this make me feel better about today. It's the ideal mindset for management for today.

And food for Phil to commit to Roberts trading regime. The Alena will be better for it

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
get over that the best Leaf of all time apparently Phil is gone

Sure tells you what Penguins really do think of him since they didn't pay for him too much

One player isn't over the team

#nontruefans

Or could it be they don't think much of our management group and took them to the cleaners?

Time will tell but don't ****ing tell me I'm not a fan because I'm upset about these laughable returns

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The cycle has to end sometime. Last TDL it was maybe there are more buyers at the draft? Nope. Maybe on July 1? Nope...

I think the real cause behind not having a homerun deal was that there just wasn't anybody interested that he could be traded to. That being said, the deal isn't terrible either. Not great but not terrible

Dubas said the goal isn't to win the trade today.

He also said we didn't get the return worthy of Phil's calibre, but trades today very rarely do.

Can people shut up now? He admitted we didn't get full value but its all about the future

The other problem is was the expectations. People were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Remember the "bidding war" theory?

Remember how we had the best players available and that's all that mattered?

Remember how Florida, Nashville and Columbus would automatically be in on the Phil sweepstakes and throw 1st rounders and their stud prospects at us? The idea was that they had to because they had no other options.

These were unreal expectations. This is a BUYERS MARKET. The contract term and big $s were huge factors, despite the unwillingness to accept this.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I find it weird that so many people are "pleased with the return", but then in the very next breath say they are convinced that "Phil will put up 40+ now in Pittsburgh".

Not me.

We got a good return in terms of pure value and I will be shocked if Fat Phil isn't a shell of himself in 3 years and his attitude could really mess up that room.

morph

Dec 3, 2014
Predictions:

Kessel scores 45 goals next year. Crosby over 100 points again. Crosby and Kessel hover around 60% GF and are absolutely dominant.

We shouldn't judge the merit of this trade by how well Kessel performs with a generational player as his centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad