Confirmed with Link: Phil Kessel traded - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/phil-kessel-traded-to-penguins-by-leafs-reports-1.3134692

The Phil Kessel era is over in Toronto.

The Toronto Maple Leafs moved their leading scorer to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospects Kasperi Kapanen and Scott Harrington, a 2016 first-round pick, a 2016 third-round pick and a salary dump in forward Nick Spaling one hour into the NHL’s free agency period on Canada Day.

The Leafs also gave up a 2016 second-round pick, Tyler Biggs and Tim Erixon.

Toronto also retained $1.25-million in salary – or 15 per cent of the cap hit – in the seven remaining years of Kessel’s contract in order to get the trade completed.

Pittsburgh's first-round pick in the deal is conditional on the Penguins making the playoffs and would become a 2017 first- or second-rounder if they don't.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Under his leadership, I've seen 4 collapses. I think I've had enough.

We need some vets. We have Dion, Robidad, and Lupul? We need to keep some vets to keep the young guys on track and keep their head on straight.

We also need them to shelter players during development.

He is also a top pairing D who can play both sides. He prefers RD, even if he can be a solid RD on the 2nd pairing he's useful.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Gotta love how all the people disappointed in the return are blaming the current management, and not the moron Nonis who handicapped them by giving Phil so much money and term and a NTC.

Yup.

Leafs are just working with the cards they were dealt.

They've got a management crew with the brains and guts to do what needs to be done to get back on the correct trajectory.

We are where Buffalo was 3 years ago.

It's just too bad the lottery rules have been changed since then.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It was the right move to make.

Those that think otherwise had an unrealistic and completely off-base valuation of Phil Kessel in the first place.

But the bolded you said is key.

I can go back and bring up my post where I put a market value of $6.5 million for Phil Kessel in his contract year, and if that failed to get him re-signed, then he should be dealt.

Oh what could have been...

Leafs under Burke and Nonis had no real goals of how they wanted to play. Nonis said he was tempted to sign Clarkson because he saw a lot of positives in our series against Boston and thought we were ready to compete. :laugh: :help:

Same guy said: I'm not worried about year 6 and 7 because he is a 30 goal guy. At least he fixed his mistake but it ended up costing the Leafs lots of $$$$.

I'll take a lower return on trades if the Leafs have an end goal in mind and it clearly looks like they do. They want players who want to work their ass off not players who are satisfied with where they are.

Kessel is crazy good but he could be so much better if he cared about his fitness. The guy never worked in the offseason for the last 6 years and now because of Babcock he was going to train in the offseason.

That screams like someone who wants to be told to do something instead of taking care of himself.

Kessel will be a great player for the Penguins but I can't really say that their team as a whole will be much better. Kessel is a liability on the ice. Whoever he plays with will get an increase in offense but also a big loss on D.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Rutherford just confirmed on Tim and Sid that today was the deadline to get a deal done since they would have turned to FA. Should be obvious though but waiting until September was never a real option.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone know what the conditions are on the 1st?

If they miss the playoffs next year, both the first we get and the second they get become 2017 picks. If they miss both years, we don't give up a pick and their first becomes a second.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Still amazing how Nonis and Burke have managed to dodge so much blame

Their the ones who built this treadmill of a team and locked up this below average core long-term

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Rutherford just confirmed on Tim and Sid that today was the deadline to get a deal done since they would have turned to FA. Should be obvious though but waiting until September was never a real option.

Can we post this on every page of every discussion on here!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I will have little to zero interest to watch this team if Phaneuf returns with the C. They identified the wrong problem.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yup.

Leafs are just working with the cards they were dealt.

They've got a management crew with the brains and guts to do what needs to be done to get back on the correct trajectory.

We are where Buffalo was 3 years ago.

It's just too bad the lottery rules have been changed since then.

Thank the ****ing Oilers for that. I bet that team will still suck more than us. Our D is better and so is our goaltending.

Edmonton should be relegated to the AHL :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If they miss the playoffs next year, both the first we get and the second they get become 2017 picks. If they miss both years, we don't give up a pick and their first becomes a second.

congrats on being purple! :) you deserve it :)

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

That would also indicate that the Penguins deal was by far the best if we were so eager to pull the trigger before it was off the table.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We need some vets. We have Dion, Robidad, and Lupul? We need to keep some vets to keep the young guys on track and keep their head on straight.

We also need them to shelter players during development.

He is also a top pairing D who can play both sides. He prefers RD, even if he can be a solid RD on the 2nd pairing he's useful.

Lupul? LOL, he does not give a **** about anything but his fashion. Personally, I don't want young players around him. I don't want young players around Phaneuf either.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Still amazing how Nonis and Burke have managed to dodge so much blame

Their the ones who built this treadmill of a team and locked up this below average core long-term

Nonis is done with hockey by the looks of it.

And Burke has moved to a Corporate / Public Relations role with the Flames with his thumb away from the trigger (you Flames fans lucked out).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

If Pittsburgh misses the playoffs 2 years in a row after we traded them Kessel......
That team has serious issues like we did.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If Pittsburgh misses the playoffs 2 years in a row after we traded them Kessel......
That team has serious issues like we did.

:laugh: people keep missing that.
knowing our luck though, they are gonna miss the playoffs two years in a row.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Komarov "hard to see such a good hockey player and a really good friend leave the team :( But I wish you good luck @PhilKessel81

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Thank the ****ing Oilers for that. I bet that team will still suck more than us. Our D is better and so is our goaltending.

Edmonton should be relegated to the AHL :laugh:

I don't think so.

They're a bit small but this team has such a bright future, it's almost blinding.

They could use another d-man, despite what they did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad