Phil Kessel skates down the wing and Shoots...

DaveT83*

So let me get this straight ... Kessel is ELITE - But he can't produce results unless he is surrounded by Quality Personel ... that doesn't exactly sound ELITE to me ... that sounds like he's just a complimentary player - otherwise it wouldn't really matter who he's playing with.

Kessel can take 30 shots on goal a night if he wants - if they're from 40 feet away with no traffic anywhere near the net he might as well just pass the puck to other team.

Atleast his playmaking is looking good - but can't help but think we traded what became two franchise players for a glorified Kyle Wellwood.

If he isn't scoring he's useless to this roster.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
So let me get this straight ... Kessel is ELITE - But he can't produce results unless he is surrounded by Quality Personel ... that doesn't exactly sound ELITE to me ... that sounds like he's just a complimentary player - otherwise it wouldn't really matter who he's playing with.

Kessel can take 30 shots on goal a night if he wants - if they're from 40 feet away with no traffic anywhere near the net he might as well just pass the puck to other team.

aaannnd there is the negative.

MrLegend28*

1 loss and everyone loses their minds lol. You guys thought we were gonna go undefeated? We lost the 2nd of a back to back. We beat Pitt the day before. It happens, move on fickle fans

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Haha, good to see you both found love in a hopeless place. Kessel will get back into it and score. Claude Girioux, Lucic and Evander Kane have the exact same points. Yeah, i'm very delusional :shakehead:help:

So if I agree with a very well-though out post, I love them? Grow up.

Those players play an all-round game. Terrible player comparisons.

So yeah, I agree with your last sentence.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
So if I agree with a very well-though out post, I love them? Grow up.

Those players play an all-round game. Terrible player comparisons.

So yeah, I agree with your last sentence.

Kessel has forechecked and adapted his game, he has shown a willingness to adapt to the Carlyle system but because he didn't score tonight he is useless? Wow. Have you seen the flyers record so far? Great player comparison considering they are slumping just as bad and despite their "all around play" they are in the same/if not worse boat than Kessel is. It is one thing to give criticism but the two of you just insult the team despite win or loss.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Kessel has forechecked and adapted his game, he has shown a willingness to adapt to the Carlyle system but because he didn't score tonight he is useless? Wow. Have you seen the flyers record so far? Great player comparison considering they are slumping just as bad and despite their "all around play" they are in the same/if not worse boat than Kessel is. It is one thing to give criticism but the two of you just insult the team despite win or loss.

Not a very realistic viewpoint in my opinion to judge a player's worth on his point totals.

Kessel has been terrible defensively, avoids body checking, and gave up on the goal that resulted in Grabber's empty netter.

Giroux, Lucic, and Kane bring 10 times more to the table than Phil Kessel.

More to hockey than point totals.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Leave Kessel alone, he's just snakebitten right now. It happens to the best of them. Let's not forget who's to really blame tonight..

Scrivens-for-Interview-4.jpg

And I posted the picture with him in a Marlies jersey on purpose, because that's all he'll ever be.

lol just look at that 5-hole

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Not a very realistic viewpoint in my opinion to judge a player's worth on his point totals.

Kessel has been terrible defensively, avoids body checking, and gave up on the goal that resulted in Grabber's empty netter.

Giroux, Lucic, and Kane bring 10 times more to the table than Phil Kessel.

More to hockey than point totals.

Insult my viewpoint all you like, the fact of the matter is you are blatantly ignoring what Kessel does bring to the table. You think every top player is an ace defender as well? Kessel had a bad game this one, but he covered his ice and broke up plays during both the pens and the habs games. I certainly will not say he is even close to being a defensive stud, because he is not. But the fact of the matter is everyone has a bad stretch or two and when Kessel is on his game, we win games. That simple. Hence my original point as to why he is not "useless" as Dave seems to think.

Rip it apart all you want but I have no doubt many will agree with me.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Insult my viewpoint all you like, the fact of the matter is you are blatantly ignoring what Kessel does bring to the table. You think every top player is an ace defender as well? Kessel had a bad game this one, but he covered his ice and broke up plays during both the pens and the habs games. I certainly will not say he is even close to being a defensive stud, because he is not. But the fact of the matter is everyone has a bad stretch or two and when Kessel is on his game, we win games. That simple. Hence my original point as to why he is not "useless" as Dave seems to think.

Kessel is definitely one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.

Ask any non Leafs fan who is the worst defensive player in the league, and his name will come up more often than not

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

Ask any non Leafs fan who is the worst defensive player in the league, and his name will come up more often than not

Ask any non leaf fan who the worst is at anything and they will think of a reason to name a leaf :shakehead:help::huh::facepalm:

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

TheDoubleDion87

Jan 14, 2013
Truculence Nation

I agree. But he's here to score goals and so far this season he's turned his game around big time. Let's hope it continues.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
First off, I didn't say they were weak defensivly, I said they were slumping. You know what I said so stop trying to manipulate it, it is pathetic. Secondly you used HFBoards as your concrete proof? This is the same place that overvalues EVERYTHING and... no... just no. :shakehead

Just like you manipulated the original point?

Unless Kessel is scoring he is useless.

You took it the wrong way entirely.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Just like you manipulated the original point?

Unless Kessel is scoring he is useless.

You took it the wrong way entirely.

Wrong again. You sure are getting desperate now. My point was that Kessel is not "useless" when someone says "useless" it generally means, no, actually means is good for nothing. When Kessel is not scoring he is playmaking, causing rebounds, playing his pokecheck or using his speed to rush the puck out of our zone. So yes, I strongly believe Kessel is not entirely "useless" outside of scoring. Perhaps the term "useless" should have been used in better context, no?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Kessel gets way too much heat, he's a star in the NHL, period. He's not a poor defensive player, he just doesn't hit or play physical, that's not his game. His game is speed and skill and he's as good as any player at creating offense off the rush,usually on his own. Very few players can do this, especially with Bozak and MacArthur.

C'mon. Some perspective.

You have to really stretch to find fault with Kessel in a 7-4 loss where the defense was horrid and the goaltending not much better.

And Lucic? Seriously? If he wasn't in Boston he might be be Matt Martin. And he won't be an Olympian anytime soon, not on this planet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad