News Article: Phil Kessel in Vancouver, working out in Abbotsford

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Think many are looking too much into his 1st practice.

I'm not as fit as I once was in my 20's, but I can still do 10k runs without much stress these days. I went to a beer league hockey game thinking I was fit enough, but nope, my chest was in so much pain and my knees were wobbly due to being gassed.

No matter how much you prep or train....practice drills and playing the actual game hits differently.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Losing hope in Vancouver as a true hockey town

Heard some female DJ on local AM station comment

“The Canucks just signed Phil Kessler what’s next?getting the Sundin twins back.”?

• Haha
Reactions: MarkMM

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Kessel...went to a pre-season game in Pittsburgh when he was there (last one they had that year so he went through a complete camp). Every shift he came off the ice and sat at the end of the bench sucking wind and looking like he was going to puke...just like above. Yet every shift he went out and busted his ass.

He's a strange player. He always looks heavy even at times when he isn't. He always looks like he's dying even when he isn't. The issue is that the last two seasons it was clear he had lost his speed. He can't play in the NHL without it so if he hasn't managed to get that back up to an acceptable level there will be nothing to work with. That said he's a character and I would love to see him succeed and get his 1000 points.
I heard it was the result of his cancer treatment, and I also heard the same every shift story.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I heard it was the result of his cancer treatment, and I also heard the same every shift story.

It was just funny to watch him closely that game. I mean you would swear when he came of the ice after a shift he would tell the coach to stuff it when his number was called again. But nope. Miraculously he is recovered and off he goes. I wonder if a lot of it is him just using deep breathing to be ready for the next shift.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I was surprised that Kessel's career high in goals is 37. With the amount of media coverage when he played in Toronto, you would have thought he was competing for the Rocket Richard trophy some seasons. But no, he only finished top-10 in goals twice: 2011/12 he finished 6th, and 2013/14 he finished 5th.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think our best case scenario here is he catches the wind for a few games and provides timely scoring to swing a few games and help win a series

similar to rookie seguin in boston or young drouin in tpa, or conversely washed up glenn anderson on the rangers

for adding a league minimum cap hit for the rest of the year, why not?

Reactions: MarkMM

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I was surprised that Kessel's career high in goals is 37. With the amount of media coverage when he played in Toronto, you would have thought he was competing for the Rocket Richard trophy some seasons. But no, he only finished top-10 in goals twice: 2011/12 he finished 6th, and 2013/14 he finished 5th.
His best years were during a down in league scoring, for a while there 50 goals was league best and 40 was incredible.

But the comparison relative to his peers is spot on, youd think he was Pavel Bure based on 2010s sports media

Feb 19, 2018
Regardless of being gassed you are going to feel terrible the next few days/weeks until your body adapts to the muscle memory of a professional Hockey practice or game. It’s more mental at this point and attitude.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Way too early at this point to be making any sort of assessment based on how he looks, given the circumstances, his pedigree, and his probable role.

Personally, I'm not going to be seriously focused on how he's coming around until he's at least 3 weeks into this stint.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
His best years were during a down in league scoring, for a while there 50 goals was league best and 40 was incredible.

But the comparison relative to his peers is spot on, youd think he was Pavel Bure based on 2010s sports media
Also, there was little goal support behind him and he played wing with the likes of Grabovski, Kadri, and Bozak during those years.

Leafs fans were absolutely brutal when he left. Many called him a flat soft loser who couldn't do shit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Way too early at this point to be making any sort of assessment based on how he looks, given the circumstances, his pedigree, and his probable role.

Personally, I'm not going to be seriously focused on how he's coming around until he's at least 3 weeks into this stint.

This is pretty much exactly my take.

Reactions: Hansen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From what I hear from observers at the Abbotsford Canuck practices, Kessel is sucking wind at some of the team's bag skate practices. It would appear that he has some distance to go before being ready for an NHL game.

But that's the price for taking six months off.....no matter how much you skate or work out, it doesn't prepare you to be plunked down in the middle of an NHL or even AHL season.

The intermission panel of McIntyre, Sat, and Murph seem to agree that the Canucks will sign Kessel closer to the March 8th TDL to preserve his eligibility. I suppose it's also a little insurance if they can't do anything at the TDL.

But just having real trouble seeing how he'll actually be able to help the Canucks.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010

Kessel is also a great playmaker. Fun to watch

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he still has a great shot. and playmaking skills. his skating maybe worse than boeser. but thats him being out for 10months not skating. probably staying at home.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

And at one time he was compared to Crosby

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Two seasons ago people in Toronto were calling Matthews the GLOAT. Greatest Leaf of all time.

No not Dave Keon, Kennedy, Armstrong, Salming, Sittler etc, you know, guys that actually won cups or at least got past the first round in the playoffs.
Nope, one dimensional, scared to get hit, never been in a fight, got past the first round once Austin Matthews. How embarrassing! The guy is good but come on.

Cups do follow Phil Kessel, so here's hoping he makes the Canucks, wins a cup and throws it in Toronto Maple Leafs fans right in their face again🤣

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Two seasons ago people in Toronto were calling Matthews the GLOAT. Greatest Leaf of all time.

No not Dave Keon, Kennedy, Armstrong, Salming, Sittler etc, you know, guys that actually won cups or at least got past the first round in the playoffs.
Nope, one dimensional, scared to get hit, never been in a fight, got past the first round once Austin Matthews. How embarrassing!

If you look at what he's doing now, he is the highest skilled player the Leafs have ever had IMO. He's ventilating the league. If you adjust for the 80s era, he would be on pace for 85 goals.

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone, but let's call a spade a spade - he's the best goal scorer in the game.

Reactions: jd22 and andora

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
If you look at what he's doing now, he is the highest skilled player the Leafs have ever had IMO. He's ventilating the league. If you adjust for the 80s era, he would be on pace for 85 goals.

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone, but let's call a spade a spade - he's the best goal scorer in the game.

He is.
But what's funny is how he gets a pass.
When's the Rocket Richard trophy? "He's an incredible scoring machine!"
Last year his goal scoring took a dip. "He's trying to be a two-way player working hard on both ends of the ice". "He's transforming into a 200-ft player"
Oh🤔
This year he's getting plenty of goals, (not much assists)
"Austin's back. He's no longer at 200 ft player anymore but still he's incredible."
Ok, sure.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ultimately, I see Kessel being more of a black ace that mentors the younger inexperienced players in the playoffs. Almost like a player-coach type thing. He may draw into the lineup when bodies go down, but his true value comes from his presence in the locker room. The guy is highly respected by his peers.

Indeed. And if there's one thing championship teams need, it's depth. Just look at the conversation we had ongoing about the amount of injured guys we had in 2011. You need to have some guys with experience under their belt who can jump in if players go down with injury.

Reactions: MarkMM and racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad