News Article: Phil Kessel in Vancouver, working out in Abbotsford

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking around the league these days, there's a plethora of teams who just can't score. In that regard, it's a little baffling that nobody rolled the dice on Kessel on July 1st or on into training camp. I don't think he even got a PTO.

Must confess I didn't see much of him in Vegas last season, but his modest point totals suggest that he may be closer to being 'done' than continuing to be a productive NHL player.

The problem for Kessel is that he really can't play down the lineup. He's not really a guy you could ever have on your third or fourth line. It's top-six scoring winger or bust.

I'd like to see him play some games in Abbotsford, for a couple of reasons. Firstly to see where he's at as a 36-year old player; but also because they'd probably fill the barn in Abbotsford to get a look at a guy who could be a hall-of-famer one day.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Pic of Kessel from Abby practice earlier today.

1707976942509.png

Feb 19, 2018
He looked gassed as expected and at this point it’s a PR stunt as I don’t see how he can compete against the guys who have earned the right to be here right now.

I hope I’m wrong as he’s a free addition with experience but I hope management isn’t hanging their hat on this before the deadline.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I mean, anyone losing a top-pairing defensemen is in trouble (see: 2011 - Hamhuis), let alone Hughes, but yeah the defense needs more depth and you should be able to replace a guy like Soucy.

You are right, but I’m just pointing out how that’s only 3 guys. In 2011 we had Hamhuis, Juice, Edler, Ehrhoff, Salo, and then Rome who was playing pretty good bottom pair hockey for us all season. (He was kind of a meme because fans couldn’t see why Rome was more favourable than Ballard throughout the season, looking back it was obvious). And that was before he stepped up in the playoffs for us.

Then there was Tanev who god bless him I don’t think made a single mistake that season. That’s 7 guys. We have 3 and then we are already into the “well, they’re already outperforming as of now, how much more can they possibly give?”
——
As for the above, I believe there is a plan for Kessel in which we can maximize his quality of play for when we’ll need it. He has a time limit on his effectiveness, so we’ll need to negotiate that or it will be a busy move.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Jeff Paterson’s opinion means as much to me as the bum playing his guitar at the liquor store. He’s a pretty negative dwarf, musta had to sit on someone’s shoulders to watch the practice.

Reactions: madrigal77

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Jeff Paterson’s opinion means as much to me as the bum playing his guitar at the liquor store. He’s a pretty negative dwarf, musta had to sit on someone’s shoulders to watch the practice.
I don't really find him overtly negative at all. In fact, he's been dicked around by the organization a ton, so I'm impressed he's been as professional as he is.

That video shows Kessel sucking air in between drills. It's expected. Hopefully the conditioning stint gets him up to speed. Puljujarvi had no points in his first 4-5 AHL games on the PTO, so it might take longer for a 36 year old.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Kessel...went to a pre-season game in Pittsburgh when he was there (last one they had that year so he went through a complete camp). Every shift he came off the ice and sat at the end of the bench sucking wind and looking like he was going to puke...just like above. Yet every shift he went out and busted his ass.

He's a strange player. He always looks heavy even at times when he isn't. He always looks like he's dying even when he isn't. The issue is that the last two seasons it was clear he had lost his speed. He can't play in the NHL without it so if he hasn't managed to get that back up to an acceptable level there will be nothing to work with. That said he's a character and I would love to see him succeed and get his 1000 points.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
That video shows Kessel sucking air in between drills. It's expected. Hopefully the conditioning stint gets him up to speed. Puljujarvi had no points in his first 4-5 AHL games on the PTO, so it might take longer for a 36 year old.

Is that expected though? Looks like just a regular practice, and the other players were fine. If so, he didn't even show up in training camp shape, and it's hard to imagine he's a couple of weeks away from playing in an NHL game.

Perhaps they can sign him and waive him and hopefully he's in good enough shape by the playoffs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I would have been far more shocked if he came in and blew the doors off in his first practice. He's 36 years old and hasn't played in a year. Practices over the next couple weeks will be telling.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Is that expected though? Looks like just a regular practice, and the other players were fine. If so, he didn't even show up in training camp shape, and it's hard to imagine he's a couple of weeks away from playing in an NHL game.

Perhaps they can sign him and waive him and hopefully he's in good enough shape by the playoffs.
Yeah I was saying that him sucking air is expected given that he is 36 and hasn't been involved in a team practice since June.

Reactions: Ernie and Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah I was saying that him sucking air is expected given that he is 36 and hasn't been involved in a team practice since June.
Yea, plus like others have mentioned, he looked like this at times on the bench in Pit and VGK too.

But in his prime he was an explosive skater so even if he’s lost a step or 2, he should be average speed-wise with limited minutes once he gets into game shape.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Kessel...went to a pre-season game in Pittsburgh when he was there (last one they had that year so he went through a complete camp). Every shift he came off the ice and sat at the end of the bench sucking wind and looking like he was going to puke...just like above. Yet every shift he went out and busted his ass.

He's a strange player. He always looks heavy even at times when he isn't. He always looks like he's dying even when he isn't. The issue is that the last two seasons it was clear he had lost his speed. He can't play in the NHL without it so if he hasn't managed to get that back up to an acceptable level there will be nothing to work with. That said he's a character and I would love to see him succeed and get his 1000 points.

Ya I wouldn’t count him out just yet given his reputation as a beast. But he also used to get into shape during the preseason though which is different from trying to get into shape mid season and competing with guys in mid season form. Obviously as the Ironman and never having held out, this is completely new to him (although I suppose the Covid lockdowns gave him some experience of not playing hockey).

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
D&D showing the videos of Kessel from yesterday. Man he looks like he's struggling physically. He looks gassed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
does anyone know what kessel historically looks like in pre-season practices? he seems like he might not be a shot out of a cannon at camp kind of guy.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I really hope that the Canucks have him hooked up so they can actually get some data, and not just base decisions on the eye test.

Not that I have any emotions invested in Kessel. I just want the club to be that sort of club.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
does anyone know what kessel historically looks like in pre-season practices? he seems like he might not be a shot out of a cannon at camp kind of guy.

Historically he's known to not do much in the offseason. Just relax. But he's known as a freak athlete so stuff like sprints and lifting weights at the gym he'll come out on top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad