News Article: Phil Kessel in Vancouver, working out in Abbotsford

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There's been an update on him.

Pretty much, he's expected to sign and he's trending in the right direction with his fitness. Management is confident on bringing him in. Not sure where the exact tweet is, but that's pretty much it summed up.

Can confirm. This is what Dhaliwal said on Halford & Brough last Friday. I posted the recap in the Trade Rumours thread.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's been an update on him.

Pretty much, he's expected to sign and he's trending in the right direction with his fitness. Management is confident on bringing him in. Not sure where the exact tweet is, but that's pretty much it summed up.
Even if they sign Kessel for somewhere around the league minimum, it's going to cut into what else they can do at the deadline.

So my suspicion is that they'll wait until the 11th hour on TDL day, and if nothing major develops, they'll sign him on his last day of eligibility for the season.

Reactions: Lindgren

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Even if they sign Kessel for somewhere around the league minimum, it's going to cut into what else they can do at the deadline.

So my suspicion is that they'll wait until the 11th hour on TDL day, and if nothing major develops, they'll sign him on his last day of eligibility for the season.
He honestly might need more time than that to even get in shape. If he isn't firing on all cylinders or is tracking to not be a skating liability then sign him but otherwise I don't want him tbh

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 6

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given the number of NHL teams just crying out for veteran, scoring help, it has to be a little disconcerting that nobody around the league has come up with even a one-year contract offer for Kessel.

I guess his play in Vegas really tailed off last season, and he was almost a complete non-factor in their Stanley Cup playoff run. But still, with guys like Zack Parise, Corey Perry and Joe Pavelski, who are older and still finding teams to play on, you'd have thought Kessel would be in the mix.

I guess the Canucks are being prudent......he's probably working with the Sedins' and the Abbotsford coaching staff to assess what he has left in the tank, before a contract offer comes.

A healthy and refreshed Kessel could definitely help the Canucks......but the guy who wound up his season in Vegas, probably not.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Given the number of NHL teams just crying out for veteran, scoring help, it has to be a little disconcerting that nobody around the league has come up with even a one-year contract offer for Kessel.

I guess his play in Vegas really tailed off last season, and he was almost a complete non-factor in their Stanley Cup playoff run. But still, with guys like Zack Parise, Corey Perry and Joe Pavelski, who are older and still finding teams to play on, you'd have thought Kessel would be in the mix.

I guess the Canucks are being prudent......he's probably working with the Sedins' and the Abbotsford coaching staff to assess what he has left in the tank, before a contract offer comes.

A healthy and refreshed Kessel could definitely help the Canucks......but the guy who wound up his season in Vegas, probably not.
It could be that Kessel always wanted to wait and "pick his battle" so to speak, being that a long 82 game season isn't ideal at his age - like Sundin & Niedermayer and many since.
The only restriction for playoff eligibility is that he signs ahead of the trade deadline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It could be that Kessel always wanted to wait and "pick his battle" so to speak, being that a long 82 game season isn't ideal at his age - like Sundin & Niedermayer and many since.
The only restriction for playoff eligibility is that he signs ahead of the trade deadline.
Probably not. He loves to play and the reports all along was that he wanted to continue playing and told teams he was willing to sit out games. There’s really no comparison to Sundin and Niedermayer. Both were much better players when they were contemplating retirement than Kessel. Sundin in particular wanted to retire as a Leaf and wishes that he had retired instead of signing with the Canucks.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Probably not. He loves to play and the reports all along was that he wanted to continue playing and told teams he was willing to sit out games. There’s really no comparison to Sundin and Niedermayer. Both were much better players when they were contemplating retirement than Kessel. Sundin in particular wanted to retire as a Leaf and wishes that he had retired instead of signing with the Canucks.
But then he remembers the $ and the regret dissipates quite quickly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We're coming down to it with Kessel......If he isn't signed by the end of the day on March 8th, he can't play anywhere in the NHL this season.

I can't believe Kessel and his agent would be playing 'Russian Roulette' this late in the game. Surely, they have to have reached some understanding with the Canucks.

But I'm wondering if maybe a few other NHL pro scouts are getting reports on his progress in Abbotsford, and if he might end up somewhere else.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
We're coming down to it with Kessel......If he isn't signed by the end of the day on March 8th, he can't play anywhere in the NHL this season.

I can't believe Kessel and his agent would be playing 'Russian Roulette' this late in the game. Surely, they have to have reached some understanding with the Canucks.

But I'm wondering if maybe a few other NHL pro scouts are getting reports on his progress in Abbotsford, and if he might end up somewhere else.
None of the teams that would sign him have much in the way of cap space. So what would he be quibbling over? A couple of hundred K at most? Someone with nearly 100M in career earnings would probably prioritize fit and likelihood to win a Cup, no?

Seems implausible. If I had to guess, it's that the Canucks are not entirely convinced about Kessel's fitness level.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Sundin didn't owe the Leafs anything. They had already moved on. Did it taint Ray Bourque when he won the cup in Colorado?

If it works out, it looks genius. The Canucks had lots of cap space because Gillis didn't like the UFA market iirc, he signed 1 year pro-rated and was key in our 2nd round appearance that spring. If Sundin were to come back to Vancouver, he would be deserving of applause. He was a big factor in Kesler's development too. I also felt that this victory lap was a dig at Leafs management.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Got to assume at this point that the media has been told "hands-off and look the other way" so his rehabilitation can stay low-key and out of the spotlights.

...which is a good idea in this market. Let the man do his work wherever it ends well see.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But then he remembers the $ and the regret dissipates quite quickly.
Are you talking about Sundin? I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He wanted to retire as a Leaf but he wasn’t quite ready to retire. It’s the same with Naslund. I don’t think his heart ever left Vancouver.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Hoping the Kessel whips into shape here. The Canucks could really use some help on the lethargic powerplay as of late.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Got to assume at this point that the media has been told "hands-off and look the other way" so his rehabilitation can stay low-key and out of the spotlights.

...which is a good idea in this market. Let the man do his work wherever it ends well see.

I don't believe any media would respond to this.

In fact, I think it's more likely the opposite and all this has been a favor to Kessel. Agent calls, asks if he can come play in AHL to garner interest. Canucks 'conveniently' leak he's going to sign on the Canucks any day, again, peaking interest. Canucks haven't leaked a thing, so I think it's weird several people confidently stated they expected him to sign at some point. Canucks get an in-depth look at a potential signing and do good guy Kessel a favor, Kessel gets attention. It would not shock me whatsoever to see him not sign with us. I don't exactly see the fit, even as depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad