Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
In his interview with WGR last night, Botts talked about how his biggest objective in the offseason was improving ES scoring. So I wonder what he thinks when Housley puts ERod on the 4th line.
Not really sure what Botts can say considering he’s responsible for most of the players who pushed Rodrigues down the lineup. Between Eichel/Skinner, Thompson, and Mittelstadt, the other three lines either (in theory) make better use of offensive opportunities, or are sheltering a young player.

Sure, you can flip Rodrigues and Thompson, but then you end up burying a rookie and losing most of the value from that unit.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Botterill and the Pegulas should feel red in the face. Not to freak out over one game. Housley first season was a disaster. No doubt about it. But Phil had weeks to get these guys to learn the system. There were what, 6 pre season games? They looked lost game one.

Granted, Boston is a very good team, and will likely get about 100pts again this year. When your defensemen look lost for an entire game there is room to worry.

I would say that Dahlin was the only one who didn’t look frantic out there last night. That’s worrying.

I’m normally the type of guy that believes coaches/GMs should get three years to implement a plan. Botterill needs to save his own skin here and get rid of Phil if things are not turning around. There SHOULD BE improvement on this team by December if not sooner. In a scenario where Buffalo is 5-12-3 or something Botts has to do something because the talent level on the roster is not indicative of those types of results.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Bringing Lindy back wouldn't be a bad idea - last time, the message was lost on a locker room that had been with him for years. Pominville is the only one left from that group.

Lindy should never be a head coach again after trying to turn an elite puck rushing defenseman into a bruiser. It failed once. I don't want him getting his hands on Dahlin

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Novel solution that could be a win-win

Housley sits in the press-box and Tennyson is the coach?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Bylsma was frustrating because the play was so easy to read. I’d say the big problem was that stretch pass that never worked.

Phil Housley... Yeah I get how we are supposed to exit our zone but it’s really hard to grasp what the gameplan is. Just by watching a game you normally get what a team is about. Buffalo is just some sort of mix of stuff that isn’t working.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Stats as a Sabre indicate Housley gave us more.

Satan Playoffs
35 PTS in 51 games
Housley Playoffs
27 PTS in 37 games.

Satan Regular Season
456 PTS in 578 games. rate = 0.79
Housley Regular Season
558 PTS in 608 games. rate = 0.92
Stats don't tell the entire story. Satan gave us culture.

Reactions: sabremike

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
An opposing coach last season mentioned that Housley made a few bizarre calls during the game. I want to say it was Bill Peters.

I think you are right.

I do know Lawrence also said that if he got the job in Carolina he would be sure to bring in a veteran coach because he wanted to avoid a situation like Buffalo with Housley.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I can easily envision a scenario where Housley doesn't survive the month of October. That West Coast swing has the potential to sink our season before it even begins.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I was hoping that getting into the actual season would make the hot takes less insufferable, but of course these jerks have to get shut out in the home opener and stoke the flames.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I feel another verse coming on

What's Phil got to do, got to do with it
What's lines but a meaningless token
What's Phil got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a D when a D can be broken

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The idiot neutered his best and only real scoring line by playing them against Bergeron and Marchand all night long.

Not to mention setting Marchand loose against Eichel and Skinner.

This is remedial coaching... you have last change, you don't put your best players against their best defenders.

Phil is an idiot and should be gone immediately.
You'd think it would be an obvious coaching tactic to keep your top line away from the consensus league-best defensive center and, arguably best line, during a home game. It's things like that that leave me shaking my head. Wonder what Eichel and Reinhart thought about it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'll put myself out there with the prediction that he gets fired on December 5, 2018. The morning after getting spanked at home by Toronto in our 29th game of the season, and dropping our record to 9-16-4. The first of three days without games, giving a new coach some time with the team. Botts was there when Mike Johnston got fired after only 110 games by the Penguins - Phil makes it one game longer than Johnston.

My question is whether they replace him with Taylor, Payne, or go outside the organization for the hire.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'll put myself out there with the prediction that he gets fired on December 5, 2018. The morning after getting spanked at home by Toronto in our 29th game of the season, and dropping our record to 9-16-4. The first of three days without games, giving a new coach some time with the team. Botts was there when Mike Johnston got fired after only 110 games by the Penguins - Phil makes it one game longer than Johnston.

My question is whether they replace him with Taylor, Payne, or go outside the organization for the hire.

Well, if Botterill goes off the precedent from Pittsburgh, it'd be Taylor.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I was hoping that getting into the actual season would make the hot takes less insufferable, but of course these jerks have to get shut out in the home opener and stoke the flames.

This was pretty much talked about in the offseason on top of other things, of why people don't like Housley. It's not exactly a hot take. People have warned others about it. If they didn't take note, or were busy complaining about those that are negative, then that's on them. It was up to Housley to learn from his mistakes. He obviously hasn't. The same posters that have talked about it now, were the same earlier in the offseason. Only right now, there are more people joining in.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Well, if Botterill goes off the precedent from Pittsburgh, it'd be Taylor.

To the extent that Sullivan was their AHL coach. But Sullivan had two years of NHL head coaching experience with Boston, six years on an NHL bench as an assistant, and had two stints as an AHL head coach. Payne fits the Sullivan profile better if you're looking at experience. I think Taylor would be an odd choice after firing a guy who sucked in no small part because of insufficient experience as a head coach in pro hockey.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This was pretty much talked about in the offseason on top of other things, of why people don't like Housley. It's not exactly a hot take. People have warned others about it. If they didn't take note, or were busy complaining about those that are negative, then that's on them. It was up to Housley to learn from his mistakes. He obviously hasn't. The same posters that have talked about it now, were the same earlier in the offseason. Only right now, there are more people joining in.
Pretty much this. Under Housley last year the team not only made zero progress it regressed at warp speed. Changes are made and after a dreadful preseason the team looks like a total mess and gets clowned in the home opener with Housley making mistake after mistake. Given all of that it is just very difficult to think that all of a sudden someone will snap their fingers and he becomes a good coach.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
You guys think the Pegulas might stand in the way of Botts firing Phil early in the season, wanting to demonstrate that the organization has some measure of "stability"?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Rehashing the same hot takes all offseason doesn't make them less hot takes. And claiming it's all been confirmed by one bad game makes it an even hotter take.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
yeah... i think if they can't get close to .500 for the first 10, he'll be gone.

I expect them to win in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad