Phil Housley discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The idiot neutered his best and only real scoring line by playing them against Bergeron and Marchand all night long.

Not to mention setting Marchand loose against Eichel and Skinner.

This is remedial coaching... you have last change, you don't put your best players against their best defenders.

Phil is an idiot and should be gone immediately.

I haven't looked to see if the zone start numbers corroborate this, but, if true, this is pretty damning. That's one of the best lines in the league centered by, what, a top-3 defensive forward in the game...and you go looking for that matchup for Eichel and your two best other forwards? Yikes. That's a matchup Boston loves - and one they'll try to get when the games are in Boston - and you give it to them.

The loss of ROR is going to sting for awhile. No NHL coach is scared of Casey Mittelstadt (for now) or Berglund.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I haven't looked to see if the zone start numbers corroborate this, but, if true, this is pretty damning. That's one of the best lines in the league centered by, what, a top-3 defensive forward in the game...and you go looking for that matchup for Eichel and your two best other forwards? Yikes. That's a matchup Boston loves - and one they'll try to get when the games are in Boston - and you give it to them.

The loss of ROR is going to sting for awhile. No NHL coach is scared of Casey Mittelstadt (for now) or Berglund.
They do, especially through two.

Making things worse, Phil didn’t trust Skinner to take defensive zone starts, so Jack and Sam were kneecapped by Sobotka (2nd in 5v5 TOI) for their DZS work in that matchup.

Reactions: Gabrielor

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Just noticed how long the Housley thread had gotten (too long) and spun off the recent discussion here.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The idiot neutered his best and only real scoring line by playing them against Bergeron and Marchand all night long.

Not to mention setting Marchand loose against Eichel and Skinner.

This is remedial coaching... you have last change, you don't put your best players against their best defenders.

Phil is an idiot and should be gone immediately.

Yeah, that guy was traded away without having a plan in place by management.

Botts: "Hey Phil, I traded O'Reilly away to St Louis"

Housley: "Okay, so who are you envisioning to play against the other team's best lines"

Botts: "That's the great part, I was able to receive Berglund to play in Ryan's spot". We'll be fine, just as long as Berglund is our center.

Housley: "Okay, we can do that"

Jack: "Hey Coach, who am I matching up against tonight"

Housley: "Bergeron"

Fans: :ha::facepalm::banghead:

Just wait until they face teams with more than one line of scoring, or teams that are faster than Boston.

Reactions: sabremike

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Skinner being a “Top line winger” and not taking defensive zone faceoffs is a massive issue. There is a reason why he was playing on the third line ES and Top PP in Carolina.

It’s not a bad idea to do the same here. There is a gapping hole at 2nd line left wing. Who can play there? Any thoughts?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't think you can wait until Christmas. If he can't get this team to look competent by Thanksgiving then he's got to go.
I'd prefer by Haloween myself. He is close to a level of total suck as a coach that only historically bad head coaches like Dead Weight and Pierre McGuire have ever reached.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Stimson also taking issue with Housley's usage of Eichel last night:

With the Sabres at home, Housley had the last change and could have taken advantage of that to greater effect. If Jack Eichel, who played 15:54 at 5v5 last night, spent 8:42 matched up against Patrice Bergeron according to NaturalStatTrick, that seems less than ideal. There were more than a couple faceoffs in which Housley either left Eichel’s line out there or sent them over the boards to face the vaunted Bruins center.

While coaches may be inclined to go power on power and roll their lines without worrying too much, with a top-heavy first line and unproven depth behind it, that may not go over too well. I would have preferred to see Housley, if he’s going to load up that top line, try and ensure that Eichel isn’t seeing 50+% of his 5v5 minutes against the best two-way player in hockey. Having the last change seems like this was a miss for the team.

Sabres breakdown: What the stats and video tell us about the...

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
In his interview with WGR last night, Botts talked about how his biggest objective in the offseason was improving ES scoring. So I wonder what he thinks when Housley puts ERod on the 4th line.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah, that guy was traded away without having a plan in place by management.

Botts: "Hey Phil, I traded O'Reilly away to St Louis"

Housley: "Okay, so who are you envisioning to play against the other team's best lines"

Botts: "That's the great part, I was able to receive Berglund to play in Ryan's spot". We'll be fine, just as long as Berglund is our center.

Housley: "Okay, we can do that"

Jack: "Hey Coach, who am I matching up against tonight"

Housley: "Bergeron"

Fans: :ha::facepalm::banghead:

Just wait until they face teams with more than one line of scoring, or teams that are faster than Boston.

I'm not sure I agree with this characterization. You assume that Housley is concerned with match-ups.

Reactions: sabremike

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's the worst kind of coach. He's too lazy to get versed in the "newer" style of coaching (which is still over a decade old) and hasn't been coaching long enough to be involved with the older style of coaching. He's off in no-mans land with no style of coaching which is exactly how our team plays.

The guy got called out by one of his peers last season as not knowing what he was doing, in a league where people go out of their way not to say anything remotely bad about each other.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Coach q / torts / Ruff could really whip this group in to shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I didn’t look it up yet either, but in person it certainly looked that way.

There was also little things like a d zone change to get Beaulieu and Nelson on the ice.

It’s one game, blah blah. But in my best objective terms, being in person to get a good view of off puck action, it was bad. If this is what Housley does with a whole year of games and off season to reinforce his philosophy we are left with two options. Either Housley is an idiot or Botts gave him super dumb players.

Maybe a bit of both.

It was the first nhl game I have ever left early from.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Still on the Dineen train.

But honestly, just give me a coach that knows what he is doing and can put players in a position to succeed.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Bringing Lindy back wouldn't be a bad idea - last time, the message was lost on a locker room that had been with him for years. Pominville is the only one left from that group.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He's the worst kind of coach. He's too lazy to get versed in the "newer" style of coaching (which is still over a decade old) and hasn't been coaching long enough to be involved with the older style of coaching. He's off in no-mans land with no style of coaching which is exactly how our team plays.

The guy got called out by one of his peers last season as not knowing what he was doing, in a league where people go out of their way not to say anything remotely bad about each other.

Who called him out, I must have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->