Confirmed with Link: [PHI/TBL] Radko Gudas, 1st, 3rd rounder for Braydon Coburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Honestly I think that it's over payment for Coburn, but Yzerplan. I am more shocked we moved a RHD when we are in need of more. Honestly think the Connolly trade was to get the seconds so we can move one for Petry.

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
We still have Palat and... Sustr...

Thank god for Palat's beastin'.

But Radko is going to "stay with me" for the simple reason of us both having beards and some face similarities.

Also, I took a look at his advanced stats and I can't say that I'm happier. Guys tend to be more in the defensive zone while playing with him while Coburn maintains one of the teams lowest Csv%, ergo there might be some extra scoring chances. But let's hope it was because of the Flyers' recent troubles

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly I think that it's over payment for Coburn, but Yzerplan. I am more shocked we moved a RHD when we are in need of more. Honestly think the Connolly trade was to get the seconds so we can move one for Petry.

Yeah. The thing with moving the RHD though is Gudas was probably not going to play this year anyway, and our system is loaded with RHD prospects. Even if Gudas did get back, we've seen what he looks like at < 100%, and it's not pretty. In order for Gudas to be effective, he has to be healthy. The more I look at this, the more I think management lost faith that he was going to be able to stay healthy, given his play style, and maybe there are concerns over his knee.

Which sucks. He was such a nice dash of color to our team. But like you said. Yzerplan.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not that I thought Gudas was ever untouchable, but I thought Yzerman would try to keep Coop's original 2012 Norfolk / 2013 Syracuse guys together. Gudas was such a big part of those teams and such an important player for Coop. Yzerman is once again very unpredictable.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Thank god for Palat's beastin'.

But Radko is going to "stay with me" for the simple reason of us both having beards and some face similarities.

Also, I took a look at his advanced stats and I can't say that I'm happier. Guys tend to be more in the defensive zone while playing with him while Coburn maintains one of the teams lowest Csv%, ergo there might be some extra scoring chances. But let's hope it was because of the Flyers' recent troubles

Braydon Coburn:

View attachment 80109

Gudas:

View attachment 80111

My thoughts on this are that this wasn't all that surprising to me. Gudas was a slow, often irresponsible defenseman. Coburn is a veteran guy who is much better defensively than Gudas. His offense could also improve in a much more offensively successful system than Phili's.

Also, I've thought about how Gudas would recover from a serious knee injury like this when he already had speed issues against NHL offenses. There's no way he'd be able to help us this year as he wouldn't be at NHL speed when he returned, so he'd be even worse than Sustr/Nesterov/Witkowski.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hedman-Coburn could allow us to see the return of the Hedmonster.

This could be more about giving us our #1 back than anything. Hedman couldn't be that when paired with Sustr.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not the guy I thought we would target. Seems like an over payment but i wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Hedman. Definitely mixed feelings

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
Philly fan here.

Some more Coby info. Biggest asset is zone entries. He's a monster at shutting people down at the blueline. Second is speed and conditioning. Guy can flat out fly for his size and keeps himself in tip top shape. His foot injuries this year are way out of the norm. If he has a problem it's that he can't do more than he's capable. He's much more an excellent #2-3 than a #1. He should slot into a spot with Headman and just dominate.

When he's in over his head he makes glaring mistakes. While much maligned for this is Philly, the observant fan understands the circumstance. I don't see that being an issue with the D depth in Tampa. He doesn't have panic to his game. His gaffes are more about trying to do to much. He's most successful when he can be himself.

On top of that he's a minute munched 20 + a night, kills penalties, huge come playoff time, and chips in with the occasional offense. I would say you overpaid a bit but it's a sellers market and Braden Coburn's don't grow on trees. Hell, just look at what Yandle brought in. Basically your getting a guy who is as close to top tier status as you can get without reaching it imo. The key will be to keep him. Doesn't make much sense to give up what you did if he isn't resigned. Good thing is, you have a year plus to do it. And he had a LNTC so Tampa was one of the places he wanted to go if not staying in philly.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Philly fan here.

Some more Coby info. Biggest asset is zone entries. He's a monster at shutting people down at the blueline. Second is speed and conditioning. Guy can flat out fly for his size and keeps himself in tip top shape. His foot injuries this year are way out of the norm. If he has a problem it's that he can't do more than he's capable. He's much more an excellent #2-3 than a #1. He should slot into a spot with Headman and just dominate.

When he's in over his head he makes glaring mistakes. While much maligned for this is Philly, the observant fan understands the circumstance. I don't see that being an issue with the D depth in Tampa. He doesn't have panic to his game. His gaffes are more about trying to do to much. He's most successful when he can be himself.

On top of that he's a minute munched 20 + a night, kills penalties, huge come playoff time, and chips in with the occasional offense. I would say you overpaid a bit but it's a sellers market and Braden Coburn's don't grow on trees. Hell, just look at what Yandle brought in. Basically your getting a guy who is as close to top tier status as you can get without reaching it imo. The key will be to keep him. Doesn't make much sense to give up what you did if he isn't resigned. Good thing is, you have a year plus to do it. And he had a LNTC so Tampa was one of the places he wanted to go if not staying in philly.

Great post. Essentially a huge upgrade over Gudas and gives us our Hedman partner.

Chad from BP said he wanted someone better than Garrison to join the Bolts to play on his right side. Well, we got Coburn to play with Hedman and now Stralman (who is better than Garrison) is on his right side. We are absolutely better now with this deal. We still have a 1st rounder and have a chance to resign Coburn too. This could be the piece that makes a difference.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I have mixed feelings about this. It's a steep price to pay for Coburn but if he lets Hedman be Hedman, I'm ok with it. I've doubted Yzerman's moves many times but he has proved us wrong time and time again. It makes a lot more sense when you look at the two trades as a whole. Never thought we would get two seconds for Connolly.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Steep price but it's an upgrade, no doubt. I've talked to a friend who is a Flyers fan: As long as he's not supposed to lead a pairing he's rock solid.

I'm going to miss Gudas and his hits though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Philly fan here.

Thanks for this. What makes me feel better is, if he's paired with Hedman, we'll need him to simplify his game rather than try to do to much. He'll likely know that's not expected of him.

This should free Hedman up to try to create offense like he was doing at the first of the year. Even if he winds up back with Stralman. It definitely gives us more options in the top-4, and solidifies Matt Carle in the bottom pairing.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Thanks for this. What makes me feel better is, if he's paired with Hedman, we'll need him to simplify his game rather than try to do to much. He'll likely know that's not expected of him.

This should free Hedman up to try to create offense like he was doing at the first of the year. Even if he winds up back with Stralman. It definitely gives us more options in the top-4, and solidifies Matt Carle in the bottom pairing.

Exactly. Certainly strengthens our defense no matter what. Best case scenario he is Hedman's anchor and allows him to be creative offensively. Worst case scenario we added another top 4 defenseman who is able to actually play defense.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
This trade deadline is one hell of a ride this year. I had adjusted myself to being ok with standing pat.

This is ok. Price is steep, but Gudas wasn't coming back before the playoffs and who knows how effective he would have been. We still have another first.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This trade deadline is one hell of a ride this year. I had adjusted myself to being ok with standing pat.

This is ok. Price is steep, but Gudas wasn't coming back before the playoffs and who knows how effective he would have been. We still have another first.

Agreed. I had my doubts on how much he'd be able to recover with such a serious knee injury. His mobility was already a weakness before that injury.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed. I had my doubts on how much he'd be able to recover with such a serious knee injury. His mobility was already a weakness before that injury.

I think that might be key here too. Gudas's style was always going to lead to injuries, and he's not effective at anything less than 100%. Who knows what his knee looks like right now. If he loses any speed whatsoever, he's a fringe NHLer. I hate to say that, because I do think he's a very effective defenseman when he's fully healthy. But, in his case, because of his mobility, it all hangs by a thread.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
I'm just happy I don't have to see the Hedman-Sustr anymore, what a nightmare. Steep price, but SFY did get 2 2nds back for Conolly I'm happy we upgraded our D. Sad to see Gudas go but he has struggled to stay healthy so far in the NHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm just happy I don't have to see the Hedman-Sustr anymore, what a nightmare. Steep price, but SFY did get 2 2nds back for Conolly I'm happy we upgraded our D. Sad to see Gudas go but he has struggled to stay healthy so far in the NHL.

This is the first year Gudas got hurt, isn't it?

As a Flyers fan I'm happy with it. It's the Matt Carle debate again, going from Philly to Tampa, different type of player -- they have played together at times as well. That glaring mistake happens on occasion, but it's another defenseman that the analytics people love, and everyone else hates. He was always better as the second banana, but he was only really ever second banana when he played with Timonen.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
Loved Gudas but this was a very good move by Stevie Y. The Bolts D just got much better overnight.

As for being an overpayment....welcome to the world of being a buyer at the NHL trade deadline. :)

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Don't think we'll ever see the super stud 1/2 pairing we've all been hoping for. Happy to hear a Philly fans perspective on Coburn.

Compared to having Kostka, Barbario, and Sustr playing important playoff minutes last year, we'll have Garrison, Stralman, and Coburn.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Coburn is actually a really good Dman, and I'm guessing there was a feeling that Gudas got passed on the depth chart.

It's a big price, but I don't think we got ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad