Proposal: PHI-NSH-BUF 3-way

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
yeah and it works both ways, put Ghost on Buffalo playing that role and minutes and he absolutely gets caved in, probably worse than Risto. And Risto is 5th in the NHL for Dmen on the PP the last 3 years, saying he isnt close to Ghost on the PP is silly. Sabres 5o5 scoring was awful too, Ristos numbers there likely go up to on Philly. People act like theyd be storming the castle with pitchforks if this trade went down, I think everybody would actually be pleasantly surprised with the outcomes.
The Flyers PP round thru Giroux and needs a LH Dman so Risto is not a fit at all for the Flyers PP. So his points would take a big drop and thus, reduce not only his usefulness, but his value to Philly.

And Provy does not play 26 minutes a night in Philly so you can be sure Risto would not either.

And yup, Risto is 5th in PP points the last 3 years. Ghost is 2nd and last played less games. And Ghost also has more points at ES.

Maybe people should just agree that this trade does not FIT teams needs and leave it at that. This seems to just be a trade to do a trade.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Playing on the worst team in the league isn't totally a negative. On Philly, Reinhart will not get significant powerplay time. And be in a lesser role. Same thing applies to Risto. He isn't a better powerplay defenseman than Gostisbehere and wouldn't be asked to play 26 minutes a night like he does in Buffalo.

Do you think playing 26 minutes a night on a crap team helps his stats? A guy that spends a good chunk of the night in his own zone defending against the other teams best players because the team can't possess the puck for any length of time? A guy that tries to defend on a team that can't defend in their own zone? A team where half the time he gets the puck, there's no one to pass it too because the forwards don't know how to find open ice when leaving the zone? Watch some Sabre games. When a defenceman gets the puck, there's no one to pass it to. There options are to just dump it out of the zone, or slap pass it to the other teams blue line for a tip in to the zone. When the Sabers are in there own zone, its like a monkey f***ing a football. The other teams cycles the puck and everyone forgets who there supposed to cover. Of course Risto takes the heat for it, because he's always on the ice even though 98% of the goals scored has absoulty nothing to do with him. Ristolainen and O'Reilly have had the two hardest jobs in the NHL for the last 3 years.

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Playing on the worst team in the league isn't totally a negative. On Philly, Reinhart will not get significant powerplay time. And be in a lesser role. Same thing applies to Risto. He isn't a better powerplay defenseman than Gostisbehere and wouldn't be asked to play 26 minutes a night like he does in Buffalo.

That has zero value in this argument. Assuming this trade happened, Risto would still replace Ghost on the PP and get those same minutes. If the same production comes, you can argue all day. Risto is better defensively, so he could see more 5v5 and PK minutes than Ghost did relieving Provorov from having to do everything.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
That has zero value in this argument. Assuming this trade happened, Risto would still replace Ghost on the PP and get those same minutes. If the same production comes, you can argue all day. Risto is better defensively, so he could see more 5v5 and PK minutes than Ghost did relieving Provorov from having to do everything.

Provorov would absolutely run the top PP unit if Ghost wasn’t on the team.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

The Flyers powerplay runs through Giroux. We need a LHD at the top, and Risto is a RHD. So, he wouldn't be on the 1st unit to begin with so, assuming that trade happens we do lose powerplay value. I keep hearing Risto is better defensively, but I'm not sure that is true. Risto: 3.4 oiGA/60, Ghost 2.4 oiGA/60 at even strength, and they get similar OZS (Gostisbehere gets 4% more). Some of the gap is certainly due to the disparity between the teams, but otherwise it is all speculation. And he isn't particularly good on the PK, so it really isn't that much of a benefit. Gostisbehere is definitely the better defenseman and we definitely lose value.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Why?Ristolainen is gold on the PP. He QB'd a PP that was #1 in the NHL while the same team had the lowest goal total in the NHL.

Our PP set up relies on a left handed d man.

Please, just let it go. I dont think I've seen a deal so negatively viewed by one fanbase be argued so vehemently by someone who thinks the trade is 'fair'.

We promise you, we know our team. We know Ghost works. We know Konecny works. Ristos potential isnt realistically that much higher than what Ghost is today, unless you think Risto goes on to become a Doughty type ( or if you severely underrate Ghost and his play, I guess). Its a bad fit, and I'm confident Hextall woulsnt consider this for a moment.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Arvi 61 points 29 goals 32 assists while playing pk and in all situations. Konecny 47 points 24 goals 23 assists. Please explain how that is even. Konecny plays on the top line in Philly with 2 almost point per game players. How are these 2 even right now. And I'm not talking about age or potential. How is konecny better than arvi right now? If we had konecny and arvi, konecny would be on our 2nd line. Just saying.
If you want to make a statement like "konecny plays on top line with 2 PPG players" then maybe you shouldn't cite season stats where he played half the season not on that line.

While on the top line

44GP 17G 24A 41P

Projected 82 games- 32-45-77

Konecny was down right dominant in the second half and should be able to flirt with 70+ points if Everyone stays healthy and goes well

How Konecny is making Giroux, Couturier even better

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Risto = Ellis = Ghost. You can make an argument for all of them in different scenarios.

Age. Risto>Ghost>Ellis
Cap. Ghost>Risto>Ellis (assuming Ellis is going to get a big payday)
Defense. Ellis>Risto>Ghost
Offense. Ghost>Risto>Ellis

Reinhart>Arvidsson>>>>>Konecny (with Lehtera attached to him)

Assuming this trade goes down and not playing the "We say no" game.

Nashville wins. Philly next. Sabres get hosed. Konecny is awesome, but have to deal with another crap year wasting Lehtera and on the hook for paying Ellis.
Risto is nowhere near Ghost defensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad