Proposal: PHI-NSH-BUF 3-way

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I love how some idiot said that Sanheim will play on 1st PP unit if Gost is traded. Like Flyers do not have Provorov.

Hell no to this trade!!! Hell freaking NO!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The league seems to take notice of a player a year late. In keeping with that, it appears it will take another year to take note of ghost. He had an outstanding year. He may be one of the more valuable dmen in the league. Teams game for him a lot. He is a focus of a team with high end producers.

Konecny has yet to reach his max pts. He’s an amazing player. Mother f***er too.

Reactions: flyersfan187

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The league seems to take notice of a player a year late. In keeping with that, it appears it will take another year to take note of ghost. He had an outstanding year. He may be one of the more valuable dmen in the league. Teams game for him a lot. He is a focus of a team with high end producers.

Konecny has yet to reach his max pts. He’s an amazing player. Mother ****er too.
You're not wrong on the offensive side of Ghost, but defensively he is far from the top. That is where Ellis and Risto pass him as an overall dman. Can that side of his game improve? Of course. Like Karlsson, it can improve dramatically over the course of 2-3 seasons.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You're not wrong on the offensive side of Ghost, but defensively he is far from the top. That is where Ellis and Risto pass him as an overall dman. Can that side of his game improve? Of course. Like Karlsson, it can improve dramatically over the course of 2-3 seasons.
I’m not going to say ghost is THE guy I want out there against the top lines. I will say that if he has another year like this last one, I would be happy to have him out there when called on. He really uses his stick and smarts to overcome the size issue. I would say that currently he is ahead of Risto who is of course a very good player but is actually more so tracking as a PP guy.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Ghost’s defensive abilities in his own zone might still need some work, but i don’t feel silly saying he might be one of the best defenders on the transition/in the neutral zone right now. He makes incredible reads and jumps on plays as good as anyone I’ve watched in that regard.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
That is Philly homerism talking. Ghost is fine and has a decent contract, but nowhere near the potential Risto has. This is like us Avs fans saying we wont consider Barrie for Karlsson. Have to weigh the defensive side of their games as well.
Hilarious how you say it's like you Avs fans and compare a top 2 dman in EK to Barrie and you think that comparison with Ghost and Risto is comparable to that one. Great one. Get a clue.

It's not Philly homerism. Sure I'd consider Ghost for EK as well depending on what the other pieces are. I am not considering Ghost for Risto.

Sure there is potential that Risto is better than he is with his minutes reduced but that's not an absolute. He's only 2 years younger. And Ghost is better right now imo and the swap is not worth it. Ghost also could be better if the Flyers didn't have one of the worst coaches in the league too. Ghost and Provy have had to suffer with carrying scrubs like Amac, Manning and Hagg. Once we get more depth from Myers and Sanheim, then we get a batter picture of how they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKingPin

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I like risto, and would love to add him. But his value is nowhere near Ghost.

You're right it's higher. What, is Ghosts value closer to Dahlin instead ? :shakehead

Risto is 1 and 1/2 years younger, plays 26+ minutes a night , has literally the worst blue line in the league to carry and is bigger, stronger, tougher, and better defensively. Not to mention Ghost gets 62.5% ozs throughout his careee compared to 45.5% for Risto. That's a massive role differential. You think Ghost can play 26 minutes a night with absolute trash D partners and still be as productive? Or that if the roles were reversed that Risto wouldn't replicate or out perform Ghost? If this was brought up last summer it would have been laughed at as Risto outscored Ghost even though Ghost got an absurd 68.8% ozs and was a -21 on a much better team. He was extremely sheltered until this past season. Ironically this past season, Ghost, Giroux and Couturier literally nearly doubled their production from 16-17. So we will see if that can be sustained. In Couts and Ghosts case, I am willing to Bet whatever that both will endure a decrease in scoring. Quite a bit too I predict.

I love how it's blasphemous to think the dman drafted #8th overall in an elite draft who scored the WJC golden goal and was projected to be a #1D is better then Ghost. Like I said, a players value goes beyond the most recent season. A year ago from today it was laughable to say Ghost was worth way more then Risto after Risto literally was better in every facet of the game in 16-17.When Ghost is given 26 mins a night and a terrible team around him and can match the production and minutes that Risto does then we can talk. Fact is, even after a 65 point season he still only has 18 more points compared to Risto over the last 2 years combined. Mind you the Flyers have 70 more goals then the past 2 seasons which is quite a bit. And to show how it can be manipulated, from 15-17 Risto outscored Ghost by a point even though Risto played on 2 bottom 8 teams those 2 years.

It will be rectified this season. Risto is a damn good dman but he would be better as a #2 getting 23-24 mins a night max, not 26:30+ a game. With Dahlin now here, Risto will show he is a top flight dman once he has Dahlin a generational dman on the team. Risto has had no other competent top 4 D as a teammate until Scandella was brought in and he's more of a #3/4. And it's quite sad that Marco Scandella and Jake McCabe were the only other somewhat decent D partners. And like I said Scandella is more a #3/4 and McCabe is a #4/5. In other words Risto has had trash to play with and that totally impacted his D #s. What did people expect from a 26 min a night dman on a terrible hockey team ? Thanks hockey gods for the lotto luck that got us the best D prospect since Denis Potvin and the 3rd best prospect since Eric Lindros just behind Crosby and McDavid. Now that Risto has a HoF type talent likely as his future long term D partner Risto is going to have far better analytical stats and will put up 50+ points now that the Sabres won't struggle anymore to reach 200 GF a season.

Ghosts a great player though, but not a franchise #1 D. Risto isn't a franchise #1 D either but he fits the Bill Far more then Ghost. Sub 6 foot dmen usually aren't the healthiest nor the most durable dmen.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You're right it's higher. What, is Ghosts value closer to Dahlin instead ? :shakehead

Risto is 1 and 1/2 years younger, plays 26+ minutes a night , has literally the worst blue line in the league to carry and is bigger, stronger, tougher, and better defensively. Not to mention Ghost gets 62.5% ozs throughout his careee compared to 45.5% for Risto. That's a massive role differential. You think Ghost can play 26 minutes a night with absolute trash D partners and still be as productive? Or that if the roles were reversed that Risto wouldn't replicate or out perform Ghost? If this was brought up last summer it would have been laughed at as Risto outscored Ghost even though Ghost got an absurd 68.8% ozs and was a -21 on a much better team. He was extremely sheltered until this past season. Ironically this past season, Ghost, Giroux and Couturier literally nearly doubled their production from 16-17. So we will see if that can be sustained. In Couts and Ghosts case, I am willing to Bet whatever that both will endure a decrease in scoring. Quite a bit too I predict.

I love how it's blasphemous to think the dman drafted #8th overall in an elite draft who scored the WJC golden goal and was projected to be a #1D is better then Ghost. Like I said, a players value goes beyond the most recent season. A year ago from today it was laughable to say Ghost was worth way more then Risto after Risto literally was better in every facet of the game in 16-17.When Ghost is given 26 mins a night and a terrible team around him and can match the production and minutes that Risto does then we can talk. Fact is, even after a 65 point season he still only has 18 more points compared to Risto over the last 2 years combined. Mind you the Flyers have 70 more goals then the past 2 seasons which is quite a bit. And to show how it can be manipulated, from 15-17 Risto outscored Ghost by a point even though Risto played on 2 bottom 8 teams those 2 years.

It will be rectified this season. Risto is a damn good dman but he would be better as a #2 getting 23-24 mins a night max, not 26:30+ a game. With Dahlin now here, Risto will show he is a top flight dman once he has Dahlin a generational dman on the team. Risto has had no other competent top 4 D as a teammate until Scandella was brought in and he's more of a #3/4. And it's quite sad that Marco Scandella and Jake McCabe were the only other somewhat decent D partners. And like I said Scandella is more a #3/4 and McCabe is a #4/5. In other words Risto has had trash to play with and that totally impacted his D #s. What did people expect from a 26 min a night dman on a terrible hockey team ? Thanks hockey gods for the lotto luck that got us the best D prospect since Denis Potvin and the 3rd best prospect since Eric Lindros just behind Crosby and McDavid. Now that Risto has a HoF type talent likely as his future long term D partner Risto is going to have far better analytical stats and will put up 50+ points now that the Sabres won't struggle anymore to reach 200 GF a season.

Ghosts a great player though, but not a franchise #1 D. Risto isn't a franchise #1 D either but he fits the Bill Far more then Ghost. Sub 6 foot dmen usually aren't the healthiest nor the most durable dmen.

Ghost played with Andrew MacDonald up until this year, so there goes that argument.

Draft position is a cute one. I could list a bunch of players drafted in late rounds that went on to become franchise players and others who were drafted in the first round and never amounted to anything, but I'm going to assume I dont really need to. Most logical people know draft position only matters until the player plays their next game.

Again, potential is great. I think Risto could be a great d-man. But Ghost already is one. Maybe Risto could become better than Ghost if he reaches that potential that everyone keeps talking about. But he isnt there yet, so no, he is not better than Ghost.

Edit: Also, dont bother with the "lol, so I guess youd take <insert bad defenseman here> over Dahlin because hes playing in the NHL", because this isnt even applicable here. We're talking about two players with similar-ish ceilings, and the age difference isnt extreme enough for a comparisson on potential vs actual, since both players are still improving.

This isnt even close for me, or most people, I would think, if they bothered to look at how far along Ghost has come defensively.

Last edited:

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
Probably the worst proposal I've ever seen from a Sabres perspective. We downgrade on defense and offense and take a cap dump? Can I have what you're smoking dude?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
We downgrade on D and get pretty much what Konecny will become but older and less cost-controlled, and all for the sake of losing Lehtera's one remaining year?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Even that is underplayed. Ghost’s defensive game last year was excellent. He won defenseman of the year even thought Provorov got more goals.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
summer doldrumz shake shake shake it up...who wins, who loses, tell me how terrible this is.

PHI: RD Rasmus Ristolainen & LW/RW Viktor Arvidsson
NSH: RD Shayne Gostisbehere & C/RW Samson Reinhart
BUF: RD Ryan Ellis & LW/RW Travis Konecny + Cap Dump Jori Lehtera

Lol, could we throw Patrick and Giroux in for sweeteners?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Ghost played with Andrew MacDonald up until this year, so there goes that argument.

Draft position is a cute one. I could list a bunch of players drafted in late rounds that went on to become franchise players and others who were drafted in the first round and never amounted to anything, but I'm going to assume I dont really need to. Most logical people know draft position only matters until the player plays their next game.

Again, potential is great. I think Risto could be a great d-man. But Ghost already is one. Maybe Risto could become better than Ghost if he reaches that potential that everyone keeps talking about. But he isnt there yet, so no, he is not better than Ghost.

Edit: Also, dont bother with the "lol, so I guess youd take <insert bad defenseman here> over Dahlin because hes playing in the NHL", because this isnt even applicable here. We're talking about two players with similar-ish ceilings, and the age difference isnt extreme enough for a comparisson on potential vs actual, since both players are still improving.

This isnt even close for me, or most people, I would think, if they bothered to look at how far along Ghost has come defensively.
Ghost is better than Risto man. There’s very little question about that.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I disagree with Konecky having more value than Arvidsson. Arvidsson has scored 60 goals and 122 points in the last two seasons, both numbers lead his team, and is signed for 6 more years at 4.25M cap hit. It's on of the best value contracts in the entire league.

When I look at this deal it seems that all teams are losing, so I guess that means the value is pretty fair.
Value wise Konecny holds more.

They're even as players currently, Konecny is 4 years younger on ELC and has much higher ceiling.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I love Ellis and Ghost, but Philly gets the best player in this deal. Nashville steals Reinhart. I think Buffalo is the only one saying no. Nashville takes this and runs.
Quite the opppsite.

Buffalo is only one saying yes.

Risto might be 4th best player in this trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad