Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Flyers sign Chris Stewart (1 year, $753,757)

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
He's got to have some sort of incriminating evidence on Chuck Fletcher, right?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I know it’s basically no risk, but why when there were far better and far younger players that last through waivers? Is the occasional body check really worth a contract?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah I could see that. He was horrible for the Flames 2 years ago and I can't imagine he has improved.

He hasn't. His preseason was abysmal, getting knocked off pucks left and right in the rare instance he was even able to keep up with play.

If you want to see how well this signing was received, go take a look at the same thread on the Flyers forum. Here's a hint: its 28 pages long.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
'You know what we need? We need a useless meat bag who isn't an NHL level player and we need him now. Give Chris Stewart a call, he had 4 points in the preseason and I know him personally.'

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I wish I could get a contract based on my reputation 10 years ago. I'd love to get paid for getting swirlies in a high school bathroom.

Reactions: ParrosIsGreater

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Man people here are really pissed...yeah I agree he was simply average in pre-season. I didn't think he would get a contract, but clearly they saw something in him that the rest of us don't have access to.

I'll try to make an effort to talk to him if he plays next time I'm in the locker room on the 21st, but he seems like a great guy with a big physical edge over the other forwards.

If only here for the first month to help fill gap until the youngsters gain confidence and get called up, he has enough in the tank to fight for his teammates and punish more physical players. His contract easily slides to the AHL if they need him too. It's not a big deal and ya never know he could surprise you.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Stew is lazy but can be dynamic if his coach rides him. He's one of those players who someone like Torts could ride and get goals out of him. He just doesn't apply himself and that's sad for a guy who is a positive locker room presence and'll drop gloves to defend a teammate.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I honestly cannot believe that Stewart is in the NHL while Farabee, Frost, Rubtsov, Ratcliffe, Vorobyov, and NAK are rotting in the AHL which is a much better league than the British league Stewart was nothing more than average in last season.

Stewart is so bad that if he were 24-25 and didn't have an NHL resume he would have been an early cut in camp and I'm convinced that even the Phantoms would have sent him to the ECHL where he belongs.

Reactions: Vikke

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
AHL teams can't demote players on non-ELC contracts to the ECHL unless the player agrees.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Thus the 28 pages of rage on our board. This signing is utter garbage on multiple fronts - the least of which being that Stewart didnt actually do anything to deserve the contract.
I just assumed he made the team. I didn’t realize this until watching the Flames game last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad