Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Derick Brassard signs with the Flyers (1 year, $825k)

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sure. Wasn't really a shot, teams make good and bad trades all the time. Just wondering what Ottawa was thinking making that trade. Although I guess they were in more of a win now window.

Yup, they were in win now mode, and it worked out since Brassard was the 2nd highest scoring forward for the Sens in the 2017 run, beating Zib and the Rangers in the process. Also Brass was cheaper and Euge couldn't afford Zib.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He is close with both Hayes and Atkinson and had the best seasons of his career under AV

What he did under AV years ago is irrelevant. He's 34 now. His relationship to Hayes & Atkinson wont effect his on-ice performance. He's a replacement level player now that we didnt need. Just like Fletchers other signings, Thompson & Yandle.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Flyers know they'll get more EFFORT from him than ol' patty

like the signing :thumbu:

Uhhh, really?

I see most likely, he will repeat the last year, and the year before, and the year before that....

I don't see any decent possibility he would suddenly revert back to being a useful player.

Reactions: Rebels57

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
If it makes you feel any better, it is impossible for him to be the groom at Atkinson's wedding........unless there is some serious kink or they are from Utah......
Well I automatically translated "groom" to "best man" while reading that post... However, no matter what he was or wasn't doing at Atkinson's wedding and how kinky the event was, I'm feeling worse after every single trade or signing since maybe Ellis one this offseason.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Great signing. Wish habs had landed him at that price over Paquette or Perreault. Brassard still has something left in the tank and enough talent that, with the right situation, he'll do well. I think he'll thrive reunited with AV

Reactions: 1909

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
How the Rags traded him and a seventh for Zib and a second round pick back was quite the heist..

The only thing ill say in defense of the trade, and from a Sens fan who was sad to see Zibby go - I was jacked when we acquired "Brass-god" from the Rangers.

He was called their heart and soul by some notable Rangers fans (who were upset), and a tireless worker that played huge in the playoffs for them as the 1C. And he just had two 60pt seasons in a row. And then his performance for the Sens in the first round against the Bruins (on their way to the ECF game 7) was enormous, and we dont get through them without him.

Zibby on the other was hugely inconsistent and arguably lazy/not fully dedicated, and absolutely needed the trade to become the player he is today.

He was a notably lesser player at the time of trade than Brassard was. He had age and potential on his side though for sure (elite tools but Hfboards openly roasted his IQ and creative abilities). And he clearly took several seasons in NY to figure it out, lets not pretend this was a traded decided on day one..

The Sens were already rebuilding and had traded Karlsson and Brassard while Zibby was still a 47pt player in NY. He wasnt exploding in Ottawa, not on their timeline for self implosion happening at the same time....

So yes haha, bad trade for sure. But the Sens got something on the ice from Brass in the form of a deep run at their peak, and then got a surprisingly great return on him when they unloaded him to the Penguins.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
giphy.gif

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Why would Phillie want him.

It's not like they are in urgent need of under performing centers.

They more so didn’t need Thompson. Brassard could have just been a 4C and then Frost or Laczynski as 3C. The question on Frost is a major but early shoulder injury. He was looking like a high end 3C before he got hurt. I don’t see the Flyers as a major threat with Couts and Hayes as 1C 2C. They used a lot of their chips for D when that looked fine and should have upgraded at C. Ellis and Eichel would have been a great off-season. Instead we got Risto, Yandle, Thompson, Bassard and paid to get rid of Ghost with the new additions blocking guys like Frost and York. Fletcher is an idiot.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
What he did under AV years ago is irrelevant. He's 34 now. His relationship to Hayes & Atkinson wont effect his on-ice performance. He's a replacement level player now that we didnt need. Just like Fletchers other signings, Thompson & Yandle.
It’s lucky there aren’t more roster spots, or Chuckles would sign all the league’s garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad