PTO: [PHI] Chris Stewart PTO with the Flyers (signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShaneTrain

Mar 21, 2010
East Greenville
Some of my fellow flyer fans acting like dude was signed to play on Giroux's wing.

Let's all relax. If he earns a spot, so be it. If he stinks it up, he can go back to Europe. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Zero risk with a slight chance of a reward. Why not?

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
If he just went around hitting people and trying to start fights, hed earn a contract. Guys a beast that can intimidate 90% of NHLers.

He has a great shot too.

Wouldnt mind him as a 13th forward.

Reactions: hatcher

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sure, if Wilson or Reaves were big guys who are easily pushed off the puck, floats 95% of the time and in general are a giant waste of talent. Sad thing is that he is far more talented than either and should’ve been a perennial 30+ goal scorer, too bad he couldn’t be bothered to play hard.
Agreed.

There were stretches in Buffalo where he looked engaged, and looked like no worse than a decent third liner.

Then he'd disappear for stretches.

He was like Chris Gratton consistency/engagement wise, and always teased that he'd put it (back) together.

He never did, and at 31, he won't.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Some of my fellow flyer fans acting like dude was signed to play on Giroux's wing.

Let's all relax. If he earns a spot, so be it. If he stinks it up, he can go back to Europe. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Can't blame the fanbase really. We've a lot of really recent history of players who don't deserve to be on the team but playing anyway.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I havent chick little'd this PTO like some of Fletchers other moves, mostly because its meaningless unless he signs him to an actual contract. But when/if that day happens? Forget it.

That being said, you're seeing a lot of negativity towards this move because Fletcher has created a 'boy who cried wolf' situation for himself. When you continuously make questionable moves, people begin to question your moves and you lose the benefit of the doubt, that's all.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
As far as the moves Fletcher has made this off season are concerned... this PTO is meaningless who cares. Every move he's made aside from paying 7 million for Hayes has been solid IMO. I think he's done a solid job bringing stability to their defense, but I don't like the idea of paying Hayes that much money, especially when you have Nolan Patrick poised and ready to take the next step. I guess insurance? Thats still a hefty price tag though. And thats coming from Pens fan.

Reactions: hatcher

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If he just went around hitting people and trying to start fights, hed earn a contract. Guys a beast that can intimidate 90% of NHLers.

He has a great shot too.

Wouldnt mind him as a 13th forward.
I woudn't want him on the ice against 90% of NHLers.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Flyers will start the season in Europe and will conclude preseason with an exhibition game against a Swiss team. The CBA actually outlines the minimum amount of veterans you need to dress per preseason game, so adding somebody like Stewart gives you a little flexibility. Especially for the older vets who you know will make the team, you can spare them a roundtrip flight for a meaningless game earlier in preseason.

LA/Vancouver played in China a couple years ago and primarily sent their A-teams, but I think they had other preseason games concurrently in North America so they signed some flotsam on PTOs to dress for the B-teams.

I know it's the usual reaction to react to a PTO as if it's a guaranteed contract, but most of these guys won't get signed. If anything, they'll be future entries for the "What are you doing wearing that uniform" thread. I still remember going to a Devils preseason game where they had Tomas Kaberle and Mike Komisarek on the blue line.

This should be pinned/stickied/whatever to every veteran PTO announcement that gets posted. If only to help save posters time as well as their health from irrationally getting shocked/angry/etc. over a pretty standard and regular move done by most GM's and teams every summer.

Reminds of when the Red Wings gave Jussi Jokinen a PTO last summer and some RW fans needlessly lost sleep because they had to drop studs like David Pope from their season opening roster projections (which also included super realistic moves like waiving both Helm and Abdelkader and assigning both to Grand Rapids) to reluctantly make room for Jokinen's eventual NTC laden contract from Holland. That or posting hysteria a hair less ridiculous than "tHeY mIgHt As WeLl NoT eVeN iNvItE zAdInA tO cAmP! fIrE hOlLaNd AnD tRaShIlL!"

Per the CBA:

(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either:

(1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season,
(2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season,
(3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or
(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.

The matter of Player participation in Exhibition Games shall be referred to the NHL/NHLPA Competition Committee for its consideration and recommendations, if any, in accordance with Article 22.

Stewart fits in category (4) , which gives the Flyers some insurance in the pre-season so they can rest some veteran guys, especially for the last exhibition game in Europe when they've likely already cut ATO's/unsigned draft picks and re-assigned most of the guys designated for AHL, ECHL or CHL. Even without that circumstance, there are certainly other benefits to the team:

-Adds another veteran presence/mentor to the locker room when it's teeming with 18-20 year old kids being introduced to pro-hockey for the first time
-Gives those kids another guy with NHL size/savvy to play with/against in camp drills and scrimmages
-Adds some competition for roles at the bottom of the line up or in the minors

Outside of a shot to stay or get back in the NHL, there's likely a host of other benefits for the player:

-Money (ALL camp attendees get a per diem)
-Some free meals and travel (in Stewart's case, likely to Switzerland)
-Exposure to other pro teams looking for players
-Access to medical/training staff
-Hang out with some old friends and make some new ones
-Network with players and staff for opportunities either inside or outside of hockey

For people bewildered about Stewart's potential addition to the Flyers: A camp PTO is pretty much a very low risk, possible but unlikely reward situation equivalent to finding an unscratched lottery ticket on the sidewalk... There's zero roster or cap implications. And that low risk is literally Stewart pulling a Raffi Torres headshot on Giroux in a camp scrimmage, or falling on Carter Hart during a drill, tweaking the guys ACL and putting the Flyers back on revolving door in goal status for a majority of the season if when Elliot gets hurt. In the slim chance that Stewart earns an NHL contract, it'll probably be because he earned it and adds something to the organization. Most "successful" PTO's are guys that edge out other waiver fodder for roles that are less than ideal for waiver exempt prospects, like sitting in the press box as a #13/14F or #7/8D or playing around 6 minutes a night if they are in the line-up. And that's if they stay in the NHL... A PTO might be "successful" because of injuries to other players and once those guys are healthy that PTO player gets waived and demoted or even mutually agrees to terminate the contract so they can go play in Europe and is never heard from again.

Glass half full, Stewart is coming to camp in the best shape he's been in after getting over a lingering injury, personal issue or something like that, earns a spot and makes a positive impact on the Flyers. Maybe even increasing his stock enough for them get a late pick for him at the deadline if they aren't in the playoff picture.

For people throwing shade at Fletcher over this: How do we know it was Fletcher that even initiated this? Maybe knowing that his old boss would eventually need an extra warm body or two that fit the exhibition rules above, Stewart and his agent approached Fletcher about coming in on a PTO. Then Fletcher obliged since it would save him some time playing phone tag with agents of players mulling over PTO offers from other NHL teams or contracts from teams overseas. At some point during the 17-18 season, Jeff Blashill alluded to something along the lines of David Booth earning a PTO with the Wings as a result of sending some heartfelt email to the Wings front office asking for an opportunity. So it wouldn't surprise me if that's how this came about, considering how we still have a few weeks till camp, and Stewart's most recent entries on his pro hockey resume might only draw interest from Peter Chiarelli...

TLDR: Reacting negatively to a veteran PTO is basically the equivalent of being disappointed and losing sleep because a free bag of chips didn't contain a surprise Polaroid of topless Christina Hendricks.

Reactions: Amorgus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Again, Fletcher waived him when in Minny just over 1.5 years ago. So it's not like he "loves" this player.

It's likely a favour that Stewart asked for, and Fletch agreed to.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Sometimes you take shit for granted in life and thats what Stewart has done. He'll be in shape for one last crack and if he puts it in he'll make it interesting in camp thats forsure. He's 31 not 51.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
His problem isn't ability, it's that he is pretty damn lazy. If he's engaged, he could easily slot in at middle six. He keeps up his conditioning and if he actually applies himself in camp, I can see him on the roster. Fear of his career ending might fuel him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad