GDT: PHI @ BUF 7pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - Back in black

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Boy do hate analytics and how some use them.
I mean he's literally their best d-man in terms of offensive and defensive expected goals. He is also doing fine with counting stats at ES. He's been terrible on the PP, was terrible tonight and has had some weak plays here and there. Overall though, he's playing very well whether people want to admit it or not. If anything, we should be more concerned about Dahlin's lack of impact or that Samuelsson might not be as good as we thought.

How am I using them incorrectly? If you don't buy the advanced stats that's fine, but to say Power has been terrible and should be in the AHL is an embarrassing take.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mean he's literally their best d-man in terms of offensive and defensive expected goals. He is also doing fine with counting stats at ES. He's been terrible on the PP, was terrible tonight and has had some weak plays here and there. Overall though, he's playing very well whether people want to admit it or not. If anything, we should be more concerned about Dahlin's lack of impact or that Samuelsson might not be as good as we thought.

How am I using them incorrectly? If you don't buy the advanced stats that's fine, but to say Power has been terrible and should be in the AHL is an embarrassing take.
Okay, now, describe what exactly he is doing to produce those numbers…and go…

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Team is out of sorts and over its head at every position.

The PP is a hilarious disaster.

Whatever Granato is trying to do with lines isnt working.

The goalies are two guys not ready for the jobs they have.

They are back at needing to learn to play hockey again.

….

It’s a development year.

Call up Kulich and Savoie. Waive Olofsson to the minors and then sit him there too. As soon as Kyle finishes his piece of cake for his 1000th game party give him a suit and a chair in the front office so he can get a head start on learning to do nothing all year.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Okay, now, describe what exactly he is doing to produce those numbers…and go…
A lot of subtle, high IQ plays that sustain offense or get the puck out of our zone under pressure. Yes, that did not happen tonight and yes he's been weak on some pucks. But if you can't see the nuances to his game, maybe watch a little closer. He's patient with the puck and typically gets it to someone that is open and won't immediately lose possession. Meanwhile, a lot of our other players are playing hot potato with the puck.

I'm a little surprised his xGA is so good this year, which may speak to Jokiharju's improvement overall.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

….

It’s a development year.

Call up Kulich and Savoie. Waive Olofsson to the minors and then sit him there too. As soon as Kyle finishes his piece of cake for his 1000th game party give him a suit and a chair in the front office so he can get a head start on learning to do nothing all year.
They let Peca walk out the door to keep Matt Ellis around. Granato may come to regret that because I wouldn’t be surprised if Peca ends up taking HIS job.

I am a big Granato guy by the way.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
A lot of subtle, high IQ plays that sustain offense or get the puck out of our zone under pressure. Yes, that did not happen tonight and yes he's been weak on some pucks. But if you can't see the nuances to his game, maybe watch a little closer. He's patient with the puck and typically gets it to someone that is open and won't immediately lose possession. Meanwhile, a lot of our other players are playing hot potato with the puck.

I'm a little surprised his xGA is so good this year, which may speak to Jokiharju's improvement overall.
Who cares?
The only analytic that matters are W's.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
They let Peca walk out the door to keep Matt Ellis around. Granato may come to regret that because I wouldn’t be surprised if Peca ends up taking HIS job.

Granato gets a whole season to fail ya know...

Maybe even a season and a half...... (smirks)

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Who cares?
The only analytic that matters are W's.
Yes, in the end that is all I care about. That said, if our 21 year old stud is already tilting the ice at his age, I think we should be pretty happy about that. He should continue to help us get the W's. I think he's an impact player for this team moving forward. The same can't be said of some of these guys.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Granato gets a whole season to fail ya know...

Maybe even a season and a half...... (smirks)
Yeah there’s no chance granato goes this season and I wouldn’t want us to do that unless we are in the bottom 5 and the room is going south.

I just meant if things continue to stall for this year and next.. Well I wouldn’t be shocked if Peca comes back in his role.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

Peca played the type of game that is sorely lacking on this team. Was hoping we'd see him as an assistant and maybe some of his moxie would rub off on them.

Alas.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Tell us the story again about how a top 4 D and goalie makes everyone else playoff caliber.

Or was Adams supposed to replace everyone.

Maybe part of this is actually watching these young guys with a lot of money and term invested in them develop, or not.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
So why didn't peca end up on the sabres bench? It seems really odd. Guy gets a chance from another team who has a head coach that's won a cup previously

Peca has come up through the sabres development system

Feel like that's a situation where you match the offer and promote him yourself

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
So why didn't peca end up on the sabres bench? It seems really odd. Guy gets a chance from another team who has a head coach that's won a cup previously

Some might say that a coach that isn't confident in his position didn't want the competition.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
The style the sabres play is much more likely to be successful as the season goes along and teams/players are tired and don't want to skate

Problem right now is the sabres themselves don't want to skate and other teams do

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Tell us the story again about how a top 4 D and goalie makes everyone else playoff caliber.

Or was Adams supposed to replace everyone.

Maybe part of this is actually watching these young guys with a lot of money and term invested in them develop, or not.
I think we should be a bit worried if we gave the right type of players long term deals. Is Cozens really deserving of $7M? Has Thompson been figured out since the second half of last year? Was Tuch reaching his peak and now starting his decline? Or is this simply a case of the team trying to figure out who they are when there's actual pressure and expectations?

I personally think we need to stay seeking out top 6 talent. I'm not sure we have the horses on Line 1 to carry us to a playoff series win, let alone becoming a cup contender.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yes, in the end that is all I care about. That said, if our 21 year old stud is already tilting the ice at his age, I think we should be pretty happy about that. He should continue to help us get the W's. I think he's an impact player for this team moving forward. The same can't be said of some of these guys.
I'm not a big analytics guy. I also do not reject their ability to describe trends in player and team performance.

But my eyes tell me that Power dominance in the stats is not reflective of his poor play and decision making on the ice. He lacks intensity. He is complacent and he both gives up and does not put himself properly in position to make plays. He is a cornucopia of defensive errors and mistakes and has been given entirely too much ice time.

His defensive coach must be totally inept if he can't recognize this.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Peca worked for Laviolette in Washington before going to Appert’s staff in Rochester.

Reactions: CrazyWayne

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think we should be a bit worried if we gave the right type of players long term deals. Is Cozens really deserving of $7M? Has Thompson been figured out since the second half of last year? Was Tuch reaching his peak and now starting his decline? Or is this simply a case of the team trying to figure out who they are when there's actual pressure and expectations?

I personally think we need to stay seeking out top 6 talent. I'm not sure we have the horses on Line 1 to carry us to a playoff series win, let alone becoming a cup contender.
Thompson I'm not too worried about. The guy is putting an effort out there, and he can do a lot with a little bit of breathing room if he can get linemates good enough to pull players off of him.

Some of the others I'm not so sure.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

100% agree with this but this board is so anti Power it’s wild. The kid had an insanely bad night as did literally everyone else.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The only job Matt Ellis should have in this organization is selling beer with Conehead (honestly: Replace Ellis with Conehead).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The style the sabres play is much more likely to be successful as the season goes along and teams/players are tired and don't want to skate

Problem right now is the sabres themselves don't want to skate and other teams do
The Sabres style of play relies on the other team not willing to play defense or play any sort of structured game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad