Pheonix Copley on long-term injured reserve

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
That is really bad timing for Copley. I hope it is nothing serious.
I am curious how Rittich will fare

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Maybe Rittich will pleasantly surprise us. It's so unpredictable what goalies will do over a short stretch.

I'm excited about the goalie pipeline for the first time in a while. Interested to see how the Portillo-Ingham tandem will fare in the AHL.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
And another benefit it will show if Rittich is worth anything or if Blake should go balls out to get a backup for Talbot (which he should be doing anyway)
Rittich is basically a career backup. Looks to me like Blake already prepared for the possibility of Copley or Talbot failing.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Maybe Rittich will pleasantly surprise us. It's so unpredictable what goalies will do over a short stretch.

I'm excited about the goalie pipeline for the first time in a while. Interested to see how the Portillo-Ingham tandem will fare in the AHL.
Rittich will not pleasantly surprise.
I have watched him playing enough in AHL this year to be sure this is not going to happen.

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
TLDR = Cupboard barren. Send help.
Maybe not entirely. Portillo is playing pretty well, so he might make it as a serviceable journeyman. And Slukynsky is an intriguing prospect who is putting up great numbers. But other than those two, There's nothing.

Still, it looks better than it has in recent years with Portillo and Sluk.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
To go on the LTIR I would think a torn tendon or something that required surgery. I don't think a muscle tear would put him out that long. Maybe a lower oblique or grade three groin tear would. Really sucks for him though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe not entirely. Portillo is playing pretty well, so he might make it as a serviceable journeyman. And Slukynsky is an intriguing prospect who is putting up great numbers. But other than those two, There's nothing.

Still, it looks better than it has in recent years with Portillo and Sluk.

Absolutely. Hammer makes the pool look good and having Ingham/Portillo is nice. The problem is still the gigantic frigging gap between Portillo (23) and our 36 year old starter and his 31 year old backups. Not having an NHL-ready goalie/backup under the age of 31 is exactly how we arrived here.

To go on the LTIR I would think a torn tendon or something that required surgery. I don't think a muscle tear would put him out that long. Maybe a lower oblique or grade three groin tear would. Really sucks for him though.

With how certain they are it feels like hip or knee. Kings aren't usually so quick to LTIR anyone.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
There was never going to be a backup in the 21-26 range, until recently why would any young goalie sign here with Quick still around? They took a stab at a few guys in the draft and missed, it happens and goalies are notoriously difficult to draft.

Now that it seems that the Pens have hitched their wagon to Jarry, I'd love if the Kings made a move for Ned, he put up good numbers behind a good Carolina team and even put up passable numbers when he was with the Detroit tire fires a few years ago. He's one of the underrated guys in the league, IMO, and would do really well behind the Kings structure, which is very similar to how the Canes play.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I still can’t get over the fact that JohnJm still believes that getting PLD was more important than getting a goalie. lol

Reactions: Schrute farms

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
One bad taco from being a 'contender' with David Rittich as #1 and a 23-year-old no NHL experience medium pedigree backup.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I still can’t get over the fact that JohnJm still believes that getting PLD was more important than getting a goalie. lol
You didn't even have the courage to "@" me.

And yes, center was (and possibly still is), the Kings biggest need. I never said there wasn't questions about the player.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
There was never going to be a backup in the 21-26 range, until recently why would any young goalie sign here with Quick still around? They took a stab at a few guys in the draft and missed, it happens and goalies are notoriously difficult to draft.
This comment is such revisionist history.
I'm sorry, but are you just ignoring the Kings acquiring Petersen specifically to be the guy that took over from Quick? Did i hallucinate the previous 5 years? The Kings put 4 years of development into Villalta and then let him walk to Arizona.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Portillo is 23.

From what I gather, these are all these goaltenders 23 and under who've played in the NHL this year:
Levi, 21
Wolf, 22
Schmid, 23
Hofer, 23
Dostal, 23
Chrona, 23

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You didn't even have the courage to "@" me.

And yes, center was (and possibly still is), the Kings biggest need. I never said there wasn't questions about the player.
I didn't @ you because you'd have nothing constructive to say so dont get ahead of yourself. Anyone who shares your belief is so far away from reason that there's no point in tagging you. Kings aren't struggling with scoring despite the fact that PLD has been trash. If Talbot goes down however, the Kings are likely cooked. A 3rd line C is not as valuable as 1A/1B. I don't know why you dont admit that.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Any grade 3 tear takes the average person 8 weeks to recover from so any LBI injury in that category will likely be LTIR. Anything above a grade 1 is probably a LTIR job, even with professional physio for a goaltender. We’ve seen with Quick how troublesome muscle injuries can be for goaltenders.

Could be either muscle, tendon or miniscus and the speed they put him on LTIR will depend on how quickly they could get him in a MRI scanner.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I hope this kid tracks, he looks f***in GOOD
Agreed, the only concern is he's college bound and going to a program that has 3 goalies on the roster next year already.

It's possible he's 3-5 years from even signing an NHL contract so it's not much help in the immediate future.

Unless LA decides to rush him to the AHL, which I really hope they don't because he already looks like he's improved a great deal from my limited veiwing of him in high school.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00