Pheonix Copley on long-term injured reserve

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
This comment is such revisionist history.
I'm sorry, but are you just ignoring the Kings acquiring Petersen specifically to be the guy that took over from Quick? Did i hallucinate the previous 5 years? The Kings put 4 years of development into Villalta and then let him walk to Arizona.

That was the plan, of course, it just didn't work out with him. But how is it revisionist? Peterson is 29 right now, he is nowhere near that age range. And there's no way he's sticking around with the same org. for 6 years as a backup.

Villalta, yes, but he was always a reach and just a miss. Portillo is the one that best fits the description and they just signed him this year.

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
That was the plan, of course, it just didn't work out with him. But how is it revisionist? Peterson is 29 right now, he is nowhere near that age range. And there's no way he's sticking around with the same org. for 6 years as a backup.

Villalta, yes, but he was always a reach and just a miss. Portillo is the one that best fits the description and they just signed him this year.
Read what I originally quoted, the part about no goalie in that range signing here while Quick is here is completely untrue. Petersen signed with LA when he was 22 and Quick was still here. Villalta spent 4 years in Ontario after signing as at 20, Hrenak was 23 when he got his brief shot and arguably should have gotten more.

The reason the Kings have no depth at goaltender isthat the Reign have spent their entire existence giving starts to career backups like Budaj, Campbell, Sparks, Berube, and Rittich, or wasted too much time giving undeserving starts to Petersen (last year) and Villalta.

LA hasn't tried or bothered developing goalies for years, and lo and behold the pipeline is now barren outside of a couple younger guys that are far from NHL ready at this point in Ingham, Portillo and Hammer.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Read what I originally quoted, the part about no goalie in that range signing here while Quick is here is completely untrue. Petersen signed with LA when he was 22 and Quick was still here. Villalta spent 4 years in Ontario after signing as at 20, Hrenak was 23 when he got his brief shot and arguably should have gotten more.

The reason the Kings have no depth at goaltender isthat the Reign have spent their entire existence giving starts to career backups like Budaj, Campbell, Sparks, Berube, and Rittich, or wasted too much time giving undeserving starts to Petersen (last year) and Villalta.

LA hasn't tried or bothered developing goalies for years, and lo and behold the pipeline is now barren outside of a couple younger guys that are far from NHL ready at this point in Ingham, Portillo and Hammer.
I actually meant that there wasn't a backup that was going to be between 21-26 now, because unless we had hit on a drafted one it would be unlikely. Teams generally don't trade promising young goalies in that range. I'm not stating that it has never happened before, I think we are talking about two different things here. I agree they've been terrible.

Petersen was probably the last decent shot at a goalie, they've not drafted well at that position and haven't planned it out. That's the primary reason that so many career backups were getting time is no one younger was cutting it. Outside of the Rangers striking gold with Shesterkin in the 4th round, it's been difficult for teams with long-time dominant goalies to keep that going internally. New Jersey had to trade for Schneider which worked out for a bit, but they had to trade for him and I think he was 27 or 28 and they still haven't had much since Brodeur. Pittsburgh tried with Murray which didn't pan out, and now Jarry who is average. They still haven't replaced Fleury. It's taken Demko until he was 28 to break out for Vancouver after losing Luongo.

This is well-known, so there aren't any excuses to be made - the Kings have been awful there going back over 10 years. They've drafted 7G in the last 11 drafts, the highest Villalta at 72. While they were sucking a lot of us were bemoaning the plethora of prospects they were sitting on, there's no reason some couldn't be used to get a decent young goalie in the system.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Sorry, I'm not getting the connection. That discussion was about the goalie pipeline in the minors, not the NHL roster. Maybe I'm missing something?
Given that this is the Copely thread and he was one of the two (barely) nhl goalies we have I’d say the discussion is about the entire goaltending situation. Now we barely have one NHL goalie and a kid in the minors that’s backed up by a guy that didn’t play a single game last year. I’d say the entire situation is pretty dire.

Reactions: tigermask48

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Now that it seems that the Pens have hitched their wagon to Jarry, I'd love if the Kings made a move for Ned, he put up good numbers behind a good Carolina team and even put up passable numbers when he was with the Detroit tire fires a few years ago. He's one of the underrated guys in the league, IMO, and would do really well behind the Kings structure, which is very similar to how the Canes play.
He's got some great metrics this year.

Alex Lyon could be another option if Detroit falls out of the playoff race.

But man goalies are so random. Martin Jones and Magnus Hellburg have great numbers through 3 games so far. Charlie Lindgren is near the top of the league in GSAA.

I liked Connor Ingram the last couple years, but I didn't expect him to be this good.

I still think Mrazek would be good for us. He always plays great against LA. That's gotta count for something.

Anton Forsberg has had great metrics the past couple seasons, but has really struggled this year after his injury last season.

Reactions: Fishhead

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

But man goalies are so random. Martin Jones and Magnus Hellburg have great numbers through 3 games so far. Charlie Lindgren is near the top of the league in GSAA.

I liked Connor Ingram the last couple years, but I didn't expect him to be this good.

I still think Mrazek would be good for us. He always plays great against LA. That's gotta count for something.

Anton Forsberg has had great metrics the past couple seasons, but has really struggled this year after his injury last season.
Mrazek would be a terrible acquisition! Just about his whole career has been hot or cold. I'll take a healthy version of Copley over Mrazek!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Not such a surprise with Charlie Lindgren. He wasn't developed by the Habs because Price was still playing very well at the time. Had a phenomenal 5 game stretch with the Blues, but that was while Binnington was injured(correct me if I'm wrong) and Lindgren was considered 3rd string goalie with the Blues. He becomes a FA and signs with the best team at pumping out NHL goalies(draft or undrafted). Lindgren got his chance last season when Kuemper was injured for a good duration of the season. An injury and slump by Kuemper this season opened the door for Lindgren, which he hasn't wavered much in taking advantage of the opportunity. Lindgren is now challenging Kuemper for the #1 job. The lesson for young goalies: Keep working hard at it and if you get your chance then seize the moment!

Just because a goalie plays great against us, doesn't mean he will be a good fit for us! That is not how good goaltending works!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I actually meant that there wasn't a backup that was going to be between 21-26 now, because unless we had hit on a drafted one it would be unlikely. Teams generally don't trade promising young goalies in that range. I'm not stating that it has never happened before, I think we are talking about two different things here. I agree they've been terrible.

Petersen was probably the last decent shot at a goalie, they've not drafted well at that position and haven't planned it out. That's the primary reason that so many career backups were getting time is no one younger was cutting it. Outside of the Rangers striking gold with Shesterkin in the 4th round, it's been difficult for teams with long-time dominant goalies to keep that going internally. New Jersey had to trade for Schneider which worked out for a bit, but they had to trade for him and I think he was 27 or 28 and they still haven't had much since Brodeur. Pittsburgh tried with Murray which didn't pan out, and now Jarry who is average. They still haven't replaced Fleury. It's taken Demko until he was 28 to break out for Vancouver after losing Luongo.

This is well-known, so there aren't any excuses to be made - the Kings have been awful there going back over 10 years. They've drafted 7G in the last 11 drafts, the highest Villalta at 72. While they were sucking a lot of us were bemoaning the plethora of prospects they were sitting on, there's no reason some couldn't be used to get a decent young goalie in the system.
Villalta signed in the off-season with the Arizona Coyotes and he's playing very well for their AHL farm team, the Tucson Roadrunners. He's still only age 24. 12-7-1 record, 2.43 GAA, .919 SV%. While Erik Portillo is doing great for the Ontario Reign, age 23, 8-1-0 record, 2.15 GAA, .924 SV%. Kings organization failed in putting a strong effort to keep and develop Villalta while adding Portillo this off-season. When your #1 goalie is age 36 making only $1million and your age 31 backup is making slightly more at $1.5 million(but somehow just landed on LTIR) and your 3rd stringer is only making $770k, that should tell you everything you need to know at how poorly the Kings have addressed goaltending!

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad